What Are The Common Cycling Injuries And How To Prevent It?

Vickeree

Mar 11, 2015
I'm referring to those that you commonly get from training and not road accidents or mishaps :)

I've been running for years now and in the beginning I had tons of mild injuries from shin splints to ITBS and runner's knee syndrome. Most of it went away when I included strength training and improved my form, I still have a mild plantar fasciitis on my left foot. If I could turn back time, I should have taken it easy, and focused more on strength and form right when I was starting to run.

Anyway since I'm just starting to train for cycling, I would like to know what are the common cycling injuries and how to prevent it?

When I was new to biking, stressed muscle is the common problem that I suffer. Some people call it pulled muscle. It is mainly caused by excessive exertion that normally occur when climbing. So the advice is to take it easy in training and let the muscles get the groove before you give them the hard work.

As with anything, listen to your body. The whole "no pain no gain" thing can become a bit dangerous when taken too seriously. It's so easy to get in a mindset where you just want to push through an exercise (no matter what that exercise may be), but if something truly hurts beyond the realm of delayed onset muscle soreness then it's probably time to take a break for a day or two or lower your intensity until the pain goes away. Also, it's always a good idea to do stretches before cycling, not just in your legs, but your back as well.

[SIZE=10pt]Well, congratulations on your new adventure into cycling! First thing about cycling you need to know is the main issue with cycling is posture and listening to your body. Now posture has a lot to do with the bike you choose, making sure it's the right fit. The other main thing to make sure your doing properly is how you're peddling. Make sure the cleats are positioned to your liking and that the peddling itself is on the ball and not your toes. The second major issue with cycling is, like you alluded to earlier, not to overwork yourself it would just take a longer time to heal. So get the proper bike; listen to your body; and make sure you're properly peddling and cleats are in correct position for you. [/SIZE]

Eileen100 said:
[SIZE=10pt]Well, congratulations on your new adventure into cycling! First thing about cycling you need to know is the main issue with cycling is posture and listening to your body. Now posture has a lot to do with the bike you choose, making sure it's the right fit. The other main thing to make sure your doing properly is how you're peddling. Make sure the cleats are positioned to your liking and that the peddling itself is on the ball and not your toes. The second major issue with cycling is, like you alluded to earlier, not to overwork yourself it would just take a longer time to heal. So get the proper bike; listen to your body; and make sure you're properly peddling and cleats are in correct position for you. [/SIZE]
I don't pay attention to my posture but now that you mentioned it, it made me realize that it was probably the reason why I have back problems when biking.Thank you for bringing it up.

Vickeree said:
I'm referring to those that you commonly get from training and not road accidents or mishaps :)
Cramps, dehydration, heat stress stuff are common injuries. Not always easy to avoid.