What are the commuting essentials?

mikdes

Aug 11, 2004
I'm about to start commuting on a new Jamis Nova I recently purchased. I will have about a 10-15 mile round trip commute, depending on how I go about it. I'm compiling a list of what I want for the commute, and am wondering if there is anything I should add. Here's the list:

- Cycling pants/shorts
- Headlight & taillight
- Fenders (in Portland, OR)
- Wedge w/flat repair kit & multi-tool. Should I carry an extra tire & tube?
- Tire pump
- Water bottle
- Oh, yeah...I have cyclocross tires. What's a good commute tire? I hear a lot about the Conti Ultra Gatorskins. Does the 23 fold as I've heard? Should I have a wider tire? Is there another economical tire that's durable & good for commuting?

Did I miss anything? Thanks!

I ride on Vittoria Rubinhos, they are fine in terms of wear and are quite cheap. I really do not think you need to ride with a spare tire, but I would carry one-two spare inner tubes - a lot quicker and easier to simply change a flat inner tube during the commute and repair it at home in the evening!

You might want some kind of rain jacket, and do not forget a helmet!

Happy commuting! :)

Two innertubes
multi tool (incorporating allen keys, screw driver etc)
tyre levers
pump
lights (i have two rear lights, one on the bike and a flashing one on my pack)
head torch
spare batterys

Thats my essentials list (aside from clothing obviously!). The batterys, headtorch and lights are rather winter specific too. Which, in the northern hemisphere at least, is coming on quickly.

Also you might want to consider a decent lock.

cheers
Rob

mikdes said:
I'm about to start commuting on a new Jamis Nova I recently purchased. I will have about a 10-15 mile round trip commute, depending on how I go about it. I'm compiling a list of what I want for the commute, and am wondering if there is anything I should add. Here's the list:

- Cycling pants/shorts
- Headlight & taillight
- Tire pump
- Water bottle
- Oh, yeah...I have cyclocross tires. What's a good commute tire? I hear a lot about the Conti Ultra Gatorskins. Does the 23 fold as I've heard? Should I have a wider tire? Is there another economical tire that's durable & good for commuting?

mikdes said:

- Cycling pants/shorts
- Headlight & taillight
- Tire pump
- Water bottle

Something to carry your lunch, a way to get work clothes to and from work.
I've never bothered with a spare tire, just make sure your tires are in good condition.
Steve

Cell phone - nice to have for who-know's-what'll happen.

ID clearly accessible in case of an accident (I keep mine in my saddle bag).

No spare tire, a tube and patch kit should be good enough...if you have a nasty rip in your tire, you can make a temporary fix by inserting a power bar wrapper (or something similar) btwn the tube and tire.

Another thing I'd recommend buying if you're just getting into some serious commuting (and this you leave at home) -- Zinn & the art of road bike maintenance.

BTW I used to do a ~15 mi commute in portland, Gresham to downtown...I miss that ride!

Why not a tattoo with your blood-group and other essential data somewhere emergency services are BOUND to look (e.g. chest)???

Actually I think ID is best carried on your person. I have a tag stuck in my helmet, as if i'm unconcious the helmet will come with me to the hospital, as the only people who should remove it will be doctors or the paramedics. The bike might just get chucked in a ditch and forgotten about. The tattoo option someone else suggested is a good one, bummer if you need to change the contact details though! :)

RC2 said:
Cell phone - nice to have for who-know's-what'll happen.

ID clearly accessible in case of an accident (I keep mine in my saddle bag).

No spare tire, a tube and patch kit should be good enough...if you have a nasty rip in your tire, you can make a temporary fix by inserting a power bar wrapper (or something similar) btwn the tube and tire.

Another thing I'd recommend buying if you're just getting into some serious commuting (and this you leave at home) -- Zinn & the art of road bike maintenance.

BTW I used to do a ~15 mi commute in portland, Gresham to downtown...I miss that ride!

I've been commuting to work every day for about 18 months (minus 2-3 day)on, oddly enough, a Jamis Nova with fenders, and smaller tires (forget now, but I think they are contis).

Other than work stuff (computer, camera, etc) I carry a flat repair kit, helmet, and nite light. That's it. Has been a faithful steed, but getting a lttle rickety. Shimano Tiagra was more than I expected. Pretty good, for a fair price.

mikdes said:

- Cycling pants/shorts
- Headlight & taillight
- Tire pump
- Water bottle

Get a chrome messenger bag, they have tons of room and spaces to put certian things and they are super water proof and very comfortable.

Baby wipes are a must to, that way you can wipe off after a ride. A good breathable top is also good, so you wont be covered in too much sweat. I bought some cheap running t shirts at sport authority, work real good and look like regualr t shirts. Dont forget something water proof.

Got a helmet? Go with white, people see that. I always have a power bar in my bag too, never know when you will get hungry.

Good luck and safe ridin

I always have a spare tyre and couple of tubes (a Vittoria Rubino Pro folder)

I leave a spare set of clothes at the office in case of any real weather disasters (its only 6 miles).

Lights for winter or a late one at the office.

Other things as mentioned already.

mikdes said:

- Cycling pants/shorts
- Headlight & taillight
- Tire pump
- Water bottle

The only tires that I have used (and I have tried many different ones) that have never punctured are Schwalbe Marathon XR and Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They are very durable and should last for years. 28mm pumped up hard give good comfort and low rolling resistance.

No one mentioned a headband and a small notepad and pen. The headband is good for keeping sweat out of your eyes especially if you wear glasses. The notepad is for crashes when you need to take out insurance information of who crashed into you. Or for when you meet someone interesting.

My Commuter,

Fenders
Rear Rack
Lights front and rear
Spare tube and repair kit. Tube swap is a much faster if you are on the way to work. fix the punctured tube while having lunch at work.
Tire levers
ID
Lock if going to bad neighborhood. If I am going to the same place each day I just leave it where I park the bike.
Puncture proof tires I'm a fan of specailized Armadillos.
Various bags I have aquired over the years to carry stuff
I have a stretchy net thingy sort of a big rubber band net that will hold most things to my rack use it all the time.
White Plastic bag to leave on seat if parked outside in case it rain and the white keeps the seat from becoming 100 degrees in the summer sun.