What are the Dark Floaties???

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by JuneBug, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. JuneBug

    JuneBug New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2003
    I have dark floaties in my water bottle. They stick to the bottom and sides. What are they? Where did they come from?? Can I drink from the bottle?? So far I think......I think they make you faster. Perhaps its an odd assortment of amino acids and proteinous molds residing after the energy drink is gone.

    well anyway they come out with a good scrubbing. :rolleyes:

    just wondering if anyone has an idea what they are or could be.

    Tags:

  2. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    JuneBug wrote:

    > I have dark floaties in my water bottle. They stick to the bottom and
    > sides. What are they? Where did they come from?? Can I drink from
    > the bottle?? So far I think......I think they make you faster.
    > Perhaps its an odd assortment of amino acids and proteinous molds
    > residing after the energy drink is gone.
    >

    > well anyway they come out with a good scrubbing. :rolleyes:
    >
    > just wondering if anyone has an idea what they are or could be.

    Mold?

    I'd disinfect the bottle with baby sterilising stuff, and rinse out with
    as hot water as it'll take (obviously plastic might not stand up to very
    hot water) - or buy a new one!!

    I have a laken bottle, alu, with teflon coating, which helps prevent the
    sugary stuff staying stuck inside. Not proof against mold though, so
    I'm trying to remember to rinse and wash as soon as I'm done with them.

    Wind passing over them when on the bike seems to keep them coolish too,
    provided you fill them with chilled water to start with.

    --

    Velvet

  3. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    JuneBug <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I have dark floaties in my water bottle. They stick to the bottom and
    > sides. What are they? Where did they come from?? Can I drink from
    > the bottle?? So far I think......I think they make you faster.
    > Perhaps its an odd assortment of amino acids and proteinous molds
    > residing after the energy drink is gone.

    Sounds like good old mold. Dark, almost black, flat bits? They'll have
    formed on the sides of the bottle and been shaken loose into the liquid.
    Give it a good clean with hot soapy water and you should be okay. Maybe try
    some Milton or brewer's sterilising tablets to be on the safe side. I did
    this in my Camelbak a few weeks ago and it came up a treat.

    Graeme

  4. Velvet <[email protected]> writes:
    > Wind passing over them when on the bike seems to keep them coolish
    > too, provided you fill them with chilled water to start with.

    I imagine a damp sock over the bottle cools it even more in the breeze
    by evaporation. No reason why something without water on would cool in
    the breeze, though.

  5. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

    > Velvet <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >>Wind passing over them when on the bike seems to keep them coolish
    >>too, provided you fill them with chilled water to start with.
    >>

    > I imagine a damp sock over the bottle cools it even more in the breeze
    > by evaporation. No reason why something without water on would cool in
    > the breeze, though.

    ah, it does form condensation, though I'm not sure how long it lasts for
    (not that long I'd imagine, unless it manages to keep really quite cool
    and it's a humid day)

    --

    Velvet

  6. Velvet <[email protected]> writes:

    > Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    >
    > > Velvet <[email protected]> writes:
    > >
    > >>Wind passing over them when on the bike seems to keep them coolish
    > >>too, provided you fill them with chilled water to start with.
    > >>

    > > I imagine a damp sock over the bottle cools it even more in the
    > > breeze
    > > by evaporation. No reason why something without water on would cool in
    > > the breeze, though.

    > ah, it does form condensation, though I'm not sure how long it lasts
    > for (not that long I'd imagine, unless it manages to keep really quite
    > cool and it's a humid day)

    I think it's a zero sum thing, and the condensation warms it up in
    corresponding amount to how much evaporating it would cool it.

    If you don't want to put your bottle in a sock, I'm sure something
    could be made out of neoprene. And if anyone else tries to patent it,
    see this as prior art.

  7. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

    > Velvet <[email protected]> writes:

    >>>I imagine a damp sock over the bottle cools it even more in the
    >>>breeze
    >>>by evaporation. No reason why something without water on would cool in
    >>>the breeze, though.

    >>ah, it does form condensation, though I'm not sure how long it lasts
    >>for (not that long I'd imagine, unless it manages to keep really quite
    >>cool and it's a humid day)
    >>

    > I think it's a zero sum thing, and the condensation warms it up in
    > corresponding amount to how much evaporating it would cool it.
    >
    > If you don't want to put your bottle in a sock, I'm sure something
    > could be made out of neoprene. And if anyone else tries to patent it,
    > see this as prior art.

    :) I'm not sure how easy it would be to get in/out the cage if socked,
    but it keeps cool enough for me in summer - could just be a perception
    thing of course!

    --

    Velvet

  8. >I have dark floaties in my water bottle. They stick to the bottom and
    >sides. What are they?

    Sounds like mould. Clean out your bottles with a good scrub using a bottle
    brush and disinfect with a mild bleach solution, then rinse with clean water
    thoroughly - allow to dry with the tops *off*

    If you don't you may well have an attack of Montezuma's Revenge :-(

    Cheers, helen s

  9. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    > If you don't you may well have an attack of Montezuma's Revenge :-(

    Though if they've appeared over time in clean water and you've been
    using it over that time, it's not that likely. Think of all the life in
    a mountain burn, and that's as clean as you'll find for drinking water.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, JuneBug
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I have dark floaties in my water bottle. They stick to the bottom
    > and
    > sides. What are they? Where did they come from?? Can I drink from
    > the bottle?? So far I think......I think they make you faster.
    > Perhaps its an odd assortment of amino acids and proteinous molds
    > residing after the energy drink is gone.

    Use miltons or other mild bleach.

    ;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.

  11. In news:[email protected],
    Velvet <[email protected]> expounded sagaciously:
    > JuneBug wrote:
    >
    >> I have dark floaties in my water bottle. They stick to the bottom
    >> and sides. What are they? Where did they come from?? Can I drink
    >> from the bottle?? So far I think......I think they make you faster.
    >> Perhaps its an odd assortment of amino acids and proteinous molds
    >> residing after the energy drink is gone.
    >>

    >> well anyway they come out with a good scrubbing. :rolleyes:
    >>
    >> just wondering if anyone has an idea what they are or could be.
    >>

    > Mold?
    >
    > I'd disinfect the bottle with baby sterilising stuff, and rinse out
    > with as hot water as it'll take (obviously plastic might not stand up
    > to very hot water) - or buy a new one!!
    >
    > I have a laken bottle, alu, with teflon coating, which helps prevent
    > the sugary stuff staying stuck inside. Not proof against mold
    > though, so I'm trying to remember to rinse and wash as soon as I'm
    > done with them.
    >
    > Wind passing over them when on the bike seems to keep them coolish
    > too, provided you fill them with chilled water to start with.

    Preesumably you mount the bottle cage on the seat stay if you wish to pass
    wind over it?
    --

    Martin Bulmer

    Pie Conservation Threat

  12. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Martin Bulmer wrote:

    > In news:[email protected],
    > Velvet <[email protected]> expounded sagaciously:
    >
    >>JuneBug wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have dark floaties in my water bottle. They stick to the bottom
    >>>and sides. What are they? Where did they come from?? Can I drink
    >>>from the bottle?? So far I think......I think they make you faster.
    >>>Perhaps its an odd assortment of amino acids and proteinous molds
    >>>residing after the energy drink is gone.
    >>>

    >>>well anyway they come out with a good scrubbing. :rolleyes:
    >>>
    >>>just wondering if anyone has an idea what they are or could be.
    >>>

    >>Mold?
    >>
    >>I'd disinfect the bottle with baby sterilising stuff, and rinse out
    >>with as hot water as it'll take (obviously plastic might not stand up
    >>to very hot water) - or buy a new one!!
    >>
    >>I have a laken bottle, alu, with teflon coating, which helps prevent
    >>the sugary stuff staying stuck inside. Not proof against mold
    >>though, so I'm trying to remember to rinse and wash as soon as I'm
    >>done with them.
    >>
    >>Wind passing over them when on the bike seems to keep them coolish
    >>too, provided you fill them with chilled water to start with.

    > Preesumably you mount the bottle cage on the seat stay if you wish to pass
    > wind over it?
    > --
    >

    > Martin Bulmer
    >
    > Pie Conservation Threat

    Martin,

    No, since *I* am a *lady* and thus not afflicted by such ailments...

    *giggle*

    --

    Velvet

  13. >Martin,

    >No, since *I* am a *lady* and thus not afflicted by such ailments...
    >
    >*giggle*

    We ladies never fart, we come out with little poofs of talcum powder that are
    scented with rose petals ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  14. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    > We ladies never fart, we come out with little poofs of talcum powder that are
    > scented with rose petals ;-)

    A couple of years ago I gave my BIL a farting gnome for Christmas. It
    had a sensor in the front and made a farting noise every time someone
    walked past.

    My niece (who would have been 3 or 4 at the time) complained that it was
    rude. I told her that everyone was rude sometimes, even Mummy and
    Daddy. I told her that Auntie Shari's rude lots because she's a
    vegetarian. She told me that Mummy was never rude.

  15. >My niece (who would have been 3 or 4 at the time) complained that it was
    >rude. I told her that everyone was rude sometimes, even Mummy and
    >Daddy. I told her that Auntie Shari's rude lots because she's a
    >vegetarian. She told me that Mummy was never rude.

    I do hope that no-one has a naked flame anywhere near Mummy then... thinking of
    all that stored up talcum powder :)

    Cheers, helen s

  16. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Danny Colyer <[email protected]> writes:
    > Daddy. I told her that Auntie Shari's rude lots because she's a
    > vegetarian.

    There seems to be an urban myth there, possibly due to experiences of
    meateaters with one or two meat-free options they imagine to be what
    veggies eat.

    I've been clean of dead-animal for about a decade, and though I still
    enjoy a good fart from time to time, it's certainly less than of old.
    And that's in spite of substantial expansion of the paunch during
    that decade.

    --
    Nick Kew

    Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/

  17. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Nick Kew [email protected] opined the following...
    > And that's in spite of substantial expansion of the paunch during
    > that decade.

    Obviously you're saving it up for a rainy day! ;-)

    Jon

  18. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 20/7/04 5:45 pm, in article
    [email protected], "JuneBug"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have dark floaties in my water bottle. They stick to the bottom and
    > sides. What are they? Where did they come from?? Can I drink from
    > the bottle?? So far I think......I think they make you faster.
    > Perhaps its an odd assortment of amino acids and proteinous molds
    > residing after the energy drink is gone.

    I just chuck my bottles through the dishwasher.. Doesn't seem to do them any
    harm.

    The same cannot be said for the orange Lucozade Sport. Turns my clear
    bottles orange and even the dishwasher doesn't clean that off.

    ...d

  19. >The same cannot be said for the orange Lucozade Sport. Turns my clear
    >bottles orange and even the dishwasher doesn't clean that off.
    >
    >..d

    Try letting them stand with a mild bleach solution in them for several hours
    and then rinsing thoroughly.

    Cheers, helen s

  20. David Martin wrote:

    > The same cannot be said for the orange Lucozade Sport. Turns my clear
    > bottles orange and even the dishwasher doesn't clean that off.

    Steradent or equivalent soluble denture-cleaning stuff shifts most stains
    from water bottles, ancient coffee cups (eeeuuurgh) etc. etc.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/