What are the different 'classes' of bikes, and their intended use?

MrGruntsworthy

Apr 25, 2013
I've been big on biking for quite a few years, but nothing ever beyond amateur riding. I'm only now getting into cycling proper, and was wondering what the different classes of bikes were. I knew of mountain bikes, speed bikes, and BMX bikes; but having recently been to a proper bike shop, I see that there's a lot of hybrids and mixings of different bike types...

So, what are the main classes of bikes, and their intended uses?

The beer bike. All others are without purpose.

I bought the Time Trial variant, but kept missing my start times.

Originally Posted by MrGruntsworthy .

I've been big on biking for quite a few years, but nothing ever beyond amateur riding. I'm only now getting into cycling proper, and was wondering what the different classes of bikes were. I knew of mountain bikes, speed bikes, and BMX bikes; but having recently been to a proper bike shop, I see that there's a lot of hybrids and mixings of different bike types...

So, what are the main classes of bikes, and their intended uses?
FWIW. In addition to the "beer bike" ...

If you go to your local library and look at the back issues of the buyer's guide from BICYCLING Magazine + VELONEWS (renamed VELO) you will see how the bikes are generally categorized ...

And, you can see an incomplete selection of bikes from the various categories.

Basically, riding conditions dictate tires ... frames are usually optimized for the given tire size ... a frame which can handle a fatter tire (e.g., a 700x52, "29er" tire) can accommodate a thinner tire (e.g., 700x28) ...

The fork on most "Road" frames cannot accommodate a 700x28 tire ...

• AFTER 30 years of "thin" tires being in vogue, the pendulum has swung back to where it was before 1980 & 700x25 tires are as common as smaller sizes for some serious riders.

BTW. Before ~1980, 27" clinchers were the common tire on "regular" bikes (622-32 equivalent) ...

And, tubular (aka "sew-up") tires were generally equivalent to a 700x25 tire size.