What are the most important things when buying a bike?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by aquaplex2004, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. aquaplex2004

    aquaplex2004 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2004
    Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about bikes!

    I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features, performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance

    many thanks

    rob

    Tags:

  2. aquaplex2004 wrote:
    > Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
    > University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
    > bikes!
    >
    > I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
    > consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features,
    > performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance

    We're probably the worst people to ask, as we tend to own expensive,
    unusual bikes. I own a £1500 Roberts and sometimes feel inadequate in
    this group, with most people owning multiple bikes, some of which cost
    way more than that!

    --
    Mark.
    http://tranchant.plus.com/

  3. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "aquaplex2004" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
    > University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
    > bikes!
    >
    > I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
    > consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features,
    > performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance
    >
    > many thanks
    >
    > rob

    Whenever I see a headline along the lines of 'university announces that
    .......' I always suspect the data was collected by a really crap method like
    this.

    I would suggest you read some bike magazines,visit some biking websites, and
    then go speak to manufacturers, importers and retailers (in person or over
    the phone). That will be far more useful than data collected from here,
    which will be worthless.

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  4. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 10/12/04 1:00 pm, in article
    [email protected], "Mark Tranchant"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > aquaplex2004 wrote:
    >> Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
    >> University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
    >> bikes!
    >>
    >> I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
    >> consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features,
    >> performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance

    > We're probably the worst people to ask, as we tend to own expensive,
    > unusual bikes. I own a £1500 Roberts and sometimes feel inadequate in
    > this group, with most people owning multiple bikes, some of which cost
    > way more than that!

    And some of us build our own..

    We are definitely not representative. Why not contact retailers to find out
    what sells. For the general public this is likely to be based on:

    1. Price
    2. Price
    3. trendyness.

    If you were to break this down by category (ie band the prices) you would
    possibly notice a distinct change at 400-600 pounds in the criteria people
    use to select bikes.

    ...d

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    aquaplex2004 wrote:
    > Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
    > University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
    > bikes!
    >
    > I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
    > consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features,
    > performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance

    1) Fitness for purpose. All bikes are not created equal, and while the
    bike that Lance Armstrong won the Tour de France on may be very
    desirable to a road racer it wouldn't be much use to me when I want to
    do my shopping. So "performance" comes into this, but it's about
    context of what sort of performance you want: my Freight bike is much
    slower than Lance's Tour bike, but its performance at carrying a two
    seater sofa is /considerably/ superior! "Features" is all built into
    this too: I'll want features that contribute to fitnees for purpose, not
    because they're there and are the Accessory Du Jour (i.e., disc brakes
    I'll have where they'll be good, like if I was buying a high end
    Mountain Bike, I don't want them on my folder as they'll just make it
    heavier and not as compact a fold).

    2) Errrr, that's it. If it's right for the job and I've got the money
    I'll spend it and I don't really care who built it.

    I think this is /not/ a common approach. The typical spend on a UK bike
    is ~£100 for a *thing* made of cheese and gaspipe with a long list of
    "features". The 3 bikes I use the most would account for 3 dozen of
    those by price.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  6. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:42:11 +1100, aquaplex2004
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
    >University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
    >bikes!
    >
    >I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
    >consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features,
    >performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance

    Fit, function, value.

    Oh, and how shiny it is, obviously.

    --

    Call me "Bob"

    "More oneness, less categories,
    Open hearts, no strategies"

  7. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    aquaplex2004 vaguely muttered something like ...
    > Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
    > University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
    > bikes!
    >
    > I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
    > consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features,
    > performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance

    Jeez, how can anyone answer?

    My reasons for buying a bike, and the reasons I buy a particular bike, are
    as diverse as the weather .. I might like the look, I might want it to do
    something particular, I might have a wodge of cash, I might be skint, all
    these factors come into it, but mostly I would pick a bike based upon
    whether the bike 'fits' me, does what I want it to do better than others I
    look at, and .. errr ... has a few spangly bits on it .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

  8. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    aquaplex2004 <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
    : University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
    : bikes!

    Clearly. So, why should we do your homework for you?

    Arthur

    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

  9. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Whenever I see a headline along the lines of 'university announces that
    > ......' I always suspect the data was collected by a really crap method like
    > this.

    Once upon a time, "university" indicated more than one braincell, and some
    understanding of appropriate methodologies for a task.

    [1] OK, they've always had the upper class twit tradition. But when
    the nobs make asses of themselves, it tends not to be in the name of
    the university.

    --
    Nick Kew

  10. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    > The colour.

    Bah you beat me to it.

  11. Sniper8052

    Sniper8052 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2004
    Sniper:
    Seems a funny topic to pick if you have no interest in cycling.

    Sniper8052

  12. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    wrote:

    > Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for
    > a University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
    > bikes!
    >
    > I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
    > consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand,
    > features, performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of
    > importance

    It depends what sort of riding you're buying it for, of course; you'll
    buy a completely different bike for off-road downhilling than for
    on-road time trials. But within each category, two things stand out:
    fit and weight. If the bike doesn't fit you, it isn't going to be much
    good, and if it's heavier than it needs to be, that's not a good thing.

    ;; Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees,
    ;; lakes, running streams and transforms it into a mountain of junk,
    ;; garbage, slime pits, and debris. -- Edward Abbey

  13. Sniper8052 wrote:
    > aquaplex2004 Wrote:
    >
    >>Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
    >>University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
    >>bikes!
    >>
    >>I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
    >>consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features,
    >>performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance
    >>
    >>many thanks
    >>
    >>rob

    > Sniper:
    > Seems a funny topic to pick if you have no interest in cycling.

    Probably the last project left in the box! Maybe he got up too late :)

    Colin

  14. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > It depends what sort of riding you're buying it for, of course; you'll
    > buy a completely different bike for off-road downhilling than for
    > on-road time trials. But within each category, two things stand out:
    > fit and weight. If the bike doesn't fit you, it isn't going to be much
    > good, and if it's heavier than it needs to be, that's not a good thing.

    But the Jekyll is heavier than it /needs/ to be, but the weight is going
    on things you consider worth taking up weight. But it would still
    function very well with, for example, good V brakes.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  15. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Probably the last project left in the box! Maybe he got up too late :)

    Hey. Who needs to be interested in the subject at Uni? After all, all
    you're there for is to get a well-paid job so you can pay off all
    those loans.

    Arthur

    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

  16. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    >> It depends what sort of riding you're buying it for, of course;
    >> you'll buy a completely different bike for off-road downhilling than
    >> for on-road time trials. But within each category, two things stand
    >> out: fit and weight. If the bike doesn't fit you, it isn't going to
    >> be much good, and if it's heavier than it needs to be, that's not a
    >> good thing.

    > But the Jekyll is heavier than it /needs/ to be, but the weight is
    > going
    > on things you consider worth taking up weight. But it would still
    > function very well with, for example, good V brakes.

    Uhhhmmm.

    It would function perfectly well with V brakes at the rear, and that
    would save a few grammes. To use V brakes at the front, you'd need a
    second fork leg, and a fork leg weighs a *lot* more than a disk brake.

    It would be a bit lighter without the Brooks saddle, of course.

    There are no messages. The above is just a random stream of
    bytes. Any opinion or meaning you find in it is your own creation.

  17. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Colin Blackburn vaguely muttered something like ...
    > Sniper8052 wrote:
    >> aquaplex2004 Wrote:
    >>
    >>> Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
    >>> University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
    >>> bikes!
    >>>
    >>> I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
    >>> consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features,
    >>> performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance
    >>>
    >>> many thanks
    >>>
    >>> rob

    >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> Sniper:
    >> Seems a funny topic to pick if you have no interest in cycling.

    > Probably the last project left in the box! Maybe he got up too late :)

    Heheheh, bloody students .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
    (8(|) Homer Rules !!!

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    aquaplex2004 wrote:
    > Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
    > University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
    > bikes!

    Why on earth choose a project on bikes then?

    > I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
    > consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features,
    > performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance

    Its got to be a bike. That's about it really.

    Tony