What are the most important things when buying a bike?

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:59:13 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:

> Its got to be a bike. That's about it really.

Tricycle Enthusiasts Club for you on line 3, and the United Unicyle Urgers
are holding on line 1.

Mike Causer wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:59:13 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:
>

>>Its got to be a bike. That's about it really.

> Tricycle Enthusiasts Club for you on line 3, and the United Unicyle Urgers
> are holding on line 1.

Sorry, too busy chatting with the tandem club on line 2

Tony

aquaplex2004 wrote:
> Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
> University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
> bikes!
>
> I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
> consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features,
> performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance
>
> many thanks

Two wheels. You cannot overstate the importance of this.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

In message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
<[email protected]> writes
>aquaplex2004 wrote:
>> Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
>> University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
>> bikes!

>Why on earth choose a project on bikes then?

Maybe there as little/no choice - I can think of plenty of situations
in the 'Real World' where you may have a job that requires you to
research an area you know nothing much about .

However, posing half-arsed questions to a newsgroup is not researching a
subject
--
Chris French, Leeds

JLB vaguely muttered something like ...
> aquaplex2004 wrote:
>> Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
>> University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
>> bikes!
>>
>> I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
>> consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features,
>> performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance
>>
>> many thanks

> Two wheels. You cannot overstate the importance of this.

They do require some method of joining them stiffly together, in a freely
rotating stylee of course .. ;)

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:05:21 +0000, Paul - *** wrote:

>> Two wheels. You cannot overstate the importance of this.

> They do require some method of joining them stiffly together, in a freely
> rotating stylee of course .. ;)

Plus some wig-wag with which to steer, and optionaly some bump-droop to
make the ride more comfortable.

Mike

> Sniper:
> Seems a funny topic to pick if you have no interest in cycling.
>
> Sniper8052

Not necessarily. Do you think that the directors of most bike
companies are interested in cycling? Do you think that those who
conducted the marketing studies that got them where they are today
were interested in cycling? Do you think that the cycling officers
(sic) on most councils are interested in cycling? Do you think
those concerned about the hazards to postmen or other cyclists are
interested in cycling? Do you think that all those engineering
consultants helping in the design of the London Cycle Network are
interested in cycling? Do you think that those who wrote the cycling
sections of the Highway Code, or passed the law making it illegal for
cyclists to get into the bike box in some ASls were interested in
cycling?

I remember when "Science" magazine used to have occasional articles
about Dr Grant Swinger, of the Institute for the Absorption of
Federal Funds. I believe they have become quite interested in bikes
lately.

Jeremy Parker

> I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
> consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand,

features,
> performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of

importance

For my recently purchased Fuji

- there didn't seem to be any modifiable old bikes around

- the Fuji was remarkably cheap

- I happened to walk into the local bike shop when the Fuji rep' was
there

- the bike has no gears at all: defintely cool

- the shop had ordered one in the right size

- the bike had no Shimano components at all: definitely cool

- all the aluminium components were painted black: definitely cool

- if my daughter and her friends could do it, I could too (or at
least I could 20 years ago)

- Christmas is coming, and I don't see anyone giving me one

It's not the order of these points that matters, it's the synergy.

However, I think I need a larger rear cog, and the bike shop claims
there are none to be had in England. I must be part of a trend, and
a better trend than people my age buying a Harley

Jeremy Parker

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:42:11 +1100, aquaplex2004
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk

So why ask us ? We're cyclists, not the retail bike market.

IMHO, it's the fit. Because you're stuck with that, the rest you can
work on.

As far as the bike-shop trade goes, then it's probably the colour.
No-one really knows if a ZZ9 plural Z Alpha groupset works better than
a Linguini, but red and black is _always_ going to be faster than
purple.

aquaplex2004 wrote:
> I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
> consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand,

features,
> performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance

I do a search on google and go with the majority verdict. ****, who
needs an education anymore?

I own a Britney Spears Nekkid Bike.

But seriously, the most important thing for me when buying a bike is
not to shut my testicles in any doors. Of course, this remains
important after I have completed the purchase.

best wishes
james

"aquaplex2004" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
> consider to be important when buying a bicycle

Always the price in my case, if I can't afford it I can't have it.

Pete

aquaplex2004 <[email protected]> writes:

>Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
>University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
>bikes!

>I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
>consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features,
>performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance

Clearly you have never even once visited the university library,
because if you had, you would have noticed that there are dozens of
bikes parked outside it, if not hundreds.
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Peter B wrote:

> "aquaplex2004" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>
> > I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
> > consider to be important when buying a bicycle

> Always the price in my case, if I can't afford it I can't have it.

I find if I can't afford it I nearly always want it :-(

John B

"Chris Malcolm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> aquaplex2004 <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>Im currently undertaking a project on the bike industry in the Uk for a
>>University course and to be honest I have no clue whatso ever about
>>bikes!

>>I'm just wondering if some of you could let me know what things you
>>consider to be important when buying a bicycle (price, brand, features,
>>performance etc) please, and to also rank them in order of importance

> Clearly you have never even once visited the university library,
> because if you had, you would have noticed that there are dozens of
> bikes parked outside it, if not hundreds.

Jeez is this guy a Cambridge student? Even more depressing, I thought they
had standards? Or is he a royal?
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> writes:

> Jeez is this guy a Cambridge student? Even more depressing, I thought they
> had standards? Or is he a royal?

Oy, that's my alma mater[1]! Why do you suggest it?

[1] privileged to be middle-aged; if I were a sixth-former now there's
no way I could afford Cambridge. A generation ago we got in on merit.

--
Nick Kew

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> Jeez is this guy a Cambridge student? Even more depressing, I thought
>> they
>> had standards? Or is he a royal?

> Oy, that's my alma mater[1]! Why do you suggest it?
>
> [1] privileged to be middle-aged; if I were a sixth-former now there's
> no way I could afford Cambridge. A generation ago we got in on merit.

Suggest what?
Thats its Cambridge...well, you said, if you go to the library, you'll see
loads of bikes, Assumed you had looked up his originating address, otherwise
why suggest going to cambridge library?
Or if you meant, why did I suggest a royal, then didnt Price Charles have a
woodwork O level or similar and still got into Cambridge?

BTW, why couldnt you afford Cambridge now? Surely not on the grounds you'd
have to pay the price of a round of drinks every month to repay your loan?

--

Tumbleweed wrote:

> BTW, why couldnt you afford Cambridge now? Surely not on the grounds you'd
> have to pay the price of a round of drinks every month to repay your loan?

Don't know how many people you drink with, but if my children paid the
price of 10 drinks or so every month they'd pay off their education
loans sometime in the next millennium (Scottish and London universities,
rather than Cambridge).

--
Brian G

in message <[email protected]>, Jeremy Parker
('[email protected]') wrote:

>> Sniper:
>> Seems a funny topic to pick if you have no interest in cycling.

> Not necessarily.  Do you think that the directors of most bike
> companies are interested in cycling?

I would hope so, yes. I would suggest that the reason that all of
Britain's major bicycle builders are now shadows of their former selves
is because of this belief that corporate governance is a skill set in
itself, and that the people at the top don't need to know anything
about the underlying business.

I would suggest to you that Raleigh's directors probably no nothing and
care less about cycling. I would suggest to you that Orange's directors
probably test-ride prototypes before they're passed for production. I
would also suggest to you that that is why Raleigh continues to
decline, and Orange continues to grow.

-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:37:38 -0000, "Tumbleweed"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Or if you meant, why did I suggest a royal, then didnt Price Charles have a
>woodwork O level or similar and still got into Cambridge?

He got into Trinity with A levels in history (B) and French (C).

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

"Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tumbleweed wrote:
>
>> BTW, why couldnt you afford Cambridge now? Surely not on the grounds
>> you'd have to pay the price of a round of drinks every month to repay
>> your loan?

> Don't know how many people you drink with, but if my children paid the
> price of 10 drinks or so every month they'd pay off their education loans
> sometime in the next millennium (Scottish and London universities, rather
> than Cambridge).
>
> --
> Brian G

have you looked up earnings vs payments?