What are the most key nutrients us cyclist and mountain bike enthusiast need to feed our body?

mxboy100

Sep 11, 2012
Hey guys and gals,
I was curious to know what are the most key nutrients you guys feed your bodies and minds, before, during and after riding?

Ex. Magnesium, potassium, folates, vitamin c, which vitamins b's, zinc, iron, sodium etc..

If your bike holds two bottles, what fluids do you guys generally like to have in those bottles?

Ex. Gatorade, water, orange juice, coconut water, etc..

Thank you guys, I am excited to hear what you guys feed your bodies for our sport here!

-Tyler

Reactions: Iftikhar422
I like Gatorade during a ride, whey protein after, and I try to eat a healthy, varied diet the rest of the time. Go heavy on colorful fruits and vegetables, and skip the fast food and processed foods as much as you can.

Water in the water bottles. I dont carry food and have no special diet rquirements upon my return from my normal riding.

No powders mixes or elixars for me.

I always have water bottles with electrolyte replacement fluid in it (like that made from NUUN tabs), and on longer rides I'll have a bottle of energy drink and possibly energy bars, bananas, a PB&J sandwich, a PB&banana sandwich, or some variation like that. Diet? I eat a balanced diet as everyone should. After rides, I like chocolate milk. After longer rides, I'm just sure to eat something with protein and carbs. As for what's essential, I'd say that Diet Mountain Dew, Nacho Cheese Doritos, Sonoran Dogs, tiramisu, Stella Artois, and **** are the big hitters.

I take a B12 vitamin as well as a over 50 multi-vitamin. I don't take them everyday... but some days.

If it is really hot I make a Gatorade mix and put that in one bottle... and take a 2nd bottle of water. But more often than not I only take one bottle of just water. I know of so many parks and places where a bottle could be refilled I hate to carry the extra weight of a full bottle. And... on the extra hot "heat advisory" days... I have stopped at a McDonald's a couple times and bought a vitamin water. Then I use the McDonald's as a cooling station while I drink the water and cool myself down.

i take antioxidant to clear up the radicals resulting from exercising and also because i am a smoker.

i take glucosamine to keep my knee.

there is an interesting "supplement" i take. I am a Cantonese (southern chinese) living in Hong Kong, here we eat cow's tendon. It is high in protein. According to Chinese medicine theory it is good for tendon and muscle recovery. It also helps aerobic sport. A bowl of cow's tendon with noodle is just around 3 usd in hong kong and it is enough for a dinner.

also tried fat burning pills, which i found to be horrible and wont take any again

Hope I'm not stealing this thread. If so, pls ignore my post. What is recommended fuel for long century ride? Coconut oil, cold pressed, is touted to be MCT. Would it work if mixed into water bottle instead of carb drink? I find it difficult to eat reasonably well on long ride.

Hope I'm not stealing this thread. If so, pls ignore my post. What is recommended fuel for long century ride? Coconut oil, cold pressed, is touted to be MCT. Would it work if mixed into water bottle instead of carb drink? I find it difficult to eat reasonably well on long ride.

For everybody else who didn't have a PhD in nutrition, biology, etc, MCT stands for "Medium Chain Triglyceride". I'm not, I just happened to have done some research lately on fat metabolism and came upon "MCT" dozens of times and I still end up googling the acronym up.

MCT is a type of fat that goes directly to the bloodstream when eaten. It doesn't get stored up as body fat but used as energy.

HOWEVER, you will only benefit from MCT if your body is well adapted to fat metabolism, ketosis, and under ketosis. Note that you don't ease your body into ketosis overnight. The adaptation process takes months. It will be months before your body can comfortable slip into ketosis without any problems. Thus, if you've never done ketosis either by ketogenic diets or by intermittent fasting, you're at least a couple months away before you can take advantage of MCT.

Even then, the benefit of MCT is marginal. Your body will usually have way more than energy stored in body fat (before it gets dangerously low) to do three centuries without eating. Obviously, man does not live on fats alone, you'll probably run out of other essential nutrients long before experiencing serious calorie and fat deficit if you try a triple back to back centuries without eating.

You can have way too much of fatty acids in the blood because your body can't metabolize them fast enough even as a highly trained athlete on ketosis.

The only people who could possibly be benefitted by eating MCT or ketones during rides are extremely lean, keto-adapted athletes maintaining their minimum body fat % in the race season. The MCT / ketones can help keep their body fat % at healthy levels and not dipping dangerously low.

The one advantage of fat-based fuel is the weight. You get over twice more calories in a gram of fat vs gram of pure carb. You only have to carry less than half of fat-based fuel in terms of weight to get the same amount of calories.

Again, this advantage is diminished if you're doing a supported ride since you won't have to carry all the weight of your needed fuel.

But on long, self-sufficient rides with only very few to no stops, then ketosis / fat metabolism is king but ONLY if your body is fully adapted to it. The fact is exemplified in nature through migratory birds. Their long, non-stop flight is almost powered entirely by fat metabolism, even under high exercise intensities. Many don't eat nor drink during these very long non-stop flights which can be hundreds of miles at a time or even farther.

For me: lots and lots of carbs during a ride. I'm not a fan of most antiinflammatories like Vitamin C ,since they can reduce the biological response to muscle damage. Inflammation is good, as it is how your body repairs back stronger. Paracetamol only for pain, ibuprofen or aspirin after 48 hours.

Other then that, I found out by accident that my Iron levels were a tad low. Not anaemic, but below the threshold that I was able to give blood - so I started taken a multivitamin with extra iron.

In general a varied diet is good. Lots of carbs and protein, with a dash of fats. No super processed foods.

For me: lots and lots of carbs during a ride. I'm not a fan of most antiinflammatories like Vitamin C ,since they can reduce the biological response to muscle damage. Inflammation is good, as it is how your body repairs back stronger. Paracetamol only for pain, ibuprofen or aspirin after 48 hours.

Other then that, I found out by accident that my Iron levels were a tad low. Not anaemic, but below the threshold that I was able to give blood - so I started taken a multivitamin with extra iron.

In general a varied diet is good. Lots of carbs and protein, with a dash of fats. No super processed foods.

Our bodies also produce natural anti inflammatory chemicals and produce more of them if we have high intensity intervals in our ride or workout sessions. It wouldn't let our body induce inflammation as much as it could but tries to regulate it.

While inflammation is good, chronic (persistent) inflammation is not good and this can lead to workout related injury or worse, cancer. This is another reason why recovery days are so important.

Efficient and balanced natural inflammatory and anti-inflammatory response of the body may not favor a high glucose environment as what could result in very high carb intake. It can be advantageous to ride in a fasted state from time to time. The key to training in a fasted state is easing yourself into this condition so the body eases into fat metabolism.

While we see pros and watch in GCN, etc gobble up crazy amounts of carbs per hour, Pros don't do it all the time and may do fasted rides in the off season. It's really not healthy to gobble up insane amount of carbs and calories all the time. This could impair your body's inflammatory and anti-inflammatory response and keeping up high glucose levels in the body may raise probability of getting cancer especially if you come from a family with high cancer risk.

The risk is even greater if you account for the fact, skin cancer is not uncommon among pro cyclists. If glucose is critical to cancer survival and proliferation then we have a problem.

If an intense workout session made some of your muscles and joints quite sore, that pain should be gone mostly after a day and you should be able to continue workouts although at reduced intensity or duration and finally gone completely and pain-free in 2 days without taking any medication nor massage, etc. If it's taking significantly longer then something could be impairing the natural inflammatory and anti-inflammatory response of the body or the simple fact of over-training. Pay careful attention to your body. Painful workout sessions isn't always the key to improving athletic performance because if the pain lingers, you won't be able to workout as hard the next day. Take things progressively and patiently don't rush into becoming a ride hero.

Reactions: rovelo