What are the must haves for road biking

alex001

Oct 1, 2003
What are the must haves for road biking? here is what I could think of........

Helmet
Water bottle
extra tube
multi tool
extra chain?
any one got any others?

Bike :)

Originally posted by alex001

Helmet
Water bottle
extra tube
multi tool
extra chain?
any one got any others?

pump (or other inflation device), tire levers and patch kit (i've been unfortunate to have a couple of flats on one ride. extra tube is not enough).

extra chain may be excessive, though a chain tool (could be on the multi-tool) is good.

some cash and cards are good too (mid-ride fuel stop or buying new chain . . .)

Cell phone is a good one. Since you added helmet to your list, in the same category (misc. gear), a non-essential but generally much-appreciated accessory is a good pair of cycling gloves.

Flexi, breathey material on the back of the hand is nice; good, moderately puffy, firm padding, strategically placed on the palm, is nice too. Makes the pressure of the bar on the hands over time easier to bear. Also allows for clearing glass and gravel off of your tires as needed (a maneuver which takes practice).

Originally posted by lokstah
Cell phone is a good one. Since you added helmet to your list, in the same category (misc. gear), a non-essential but generally much-appreciated accessory is a good pair of cycling gloves.

Flexi, breathey material on the back of the hand is nice; good, moderately puffy, firm padding, strategically placed on the palm, is nice too. Makes the pressure of the bar on the hands over time easier to bear. Also allows for clearing glass and gravel off of your tires as needed (a maneuver which takes practice).
Second that practice comment above! I have managed to perfect the front wheel cleaning but the back caused "issues" yesterday! I was cleaning the back tire on my new time-trial bike and I forgot that there was nowhere near the clearance between the seat tube and the tire like there is on my road bike.. OUCH!!! Hope I won't lose the nail, but it's touch and go!

Originally posted by alex001

Helmet
Water bottle
extra tube
multi tool
extra chain?
any one got any others?
:cool:

a few dollars for a cup of java.
a spare sock to stuff the spandex for stops at the skating rink.
a tube of lip balm so you don't get chapped lips.
a condom for the odd encounter with road side (or cycling) hussies.

Originally posted by Saeco'ligious
:cool:

a few dollars for a cup of java.
a spare sock to stuff the spandex for stops at the skating rink.
a tube of lip balm so you don't get chapped lips.
a condom for the odd encounter with road side (or cycling) hussies.
Condoms? I want to ride where you ride.

whats this talk of cleaning your wheel with your glove...I've heard of it before...how's it done master? OH. and I too want to ride where he does! : P

Originally posted by Xandre
whats this talk of cleaning your wheel with your glove...I've heard of it before...how's it done master? OH. and I too want to ride where he does! : P
Front wheel is easy - reach out palm down on the top of the wheel... fingers pointing forwards. Apply some pressure with your palm to the tire surface. For the rear you have to reach as high up as you can between the seat tube(use it as a reference) and let the tire run across your palm (your thumb is pointing upwards). Under no circumstances put your fingers into the spokes!! ;) Also, be sure to check the clearance between the tire and the seat tube (unlike my painfull experience!!!)

I have a small wallet that i always take with me when ever i go out on the bike, enough small change for some emergency food, or a phone, when you find the mobile is out of signal, or charge has gone, a small card with my personal details, DoB, blood group, contact details, address NoK, I like to go out and find new routes, and climb hills and desend fast, would like to make it as easy as possible for some to assist should I over cook the down hill ;-).

Originally posted by merubeyurubu
Front wheel is easy - reach out palm down on the top of the wheel... fingers pointing forwards. Apply some pressure with your palm to the tire surface. For the rear you have to reach as high up as you can between the seat tube(use it as a reference) and let the tire run across your palm (your thumb is pointing upwards). Under no circumstances put your fingers into the spokes!! ;) Also, be sure to check the clearance between the tire and the seat tube (unlike my painfull experience!!!)
Another technique for cleaning rear wheel is to hook your thumb high up on the chainstay and put your hand through and gently slide it down until your palm wipes the wheel. With the thumb hooked it is unlikely for your hand to get caught between the tire and seat tube.

I agree with the money stash. One very hot ride this summer, I pulled into a stoppie and that ice cold gatorade was a 911 saver.

With the colder weather arriving here in NorCal, I've recently added to my list of essentials a pair of windproof gloves so the descent from Mt Diablo (4000ft) is not such a miserable cold and wet hands experience.

In my opinion it's just plain stupid to not have (at least) what it takes to repair a flat tire with on your road bike either in your jersey pocket or a small saddle bag. This would include:

Mini-pump, tire levers, a spare tube and/or a patch kit

Flats are an unfortunate inevitability of road biking (again in my opinion). What're you gonna do? Call the wife (or whoever) to come to your rescue just because you have a flat??? C'mon!!!