what are the odds??

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by mamboking, Sep 22, 2006.

1. mamboking

mamboking New Member

So, I am riding 40 miles with my friend yesterday. We are talking about stuff in general when out of nowhere a bee lands right on my mouth. Even though, my reaction was fast (spitting it), it wasn't fast enough. The bee managed to sting my lower lip. I rode 20 miles with a lip that look like it had been hit by Mike Tyson...:eek:

I would think the odds of winning the lottery are bigger than that, yet I never win it.... :(

Tags:

2. e0richt

e0richt New Member

haven't had that happen, but I have had a few different types of flys/gnats get sucked in after an interval sprint... not on each ride but every now and then, boy do I hate that...

3. willocrew

willocrew New Member

well its a funny thing isn't it? It sounds like a pretty unlikely occurrence but somehow many cyclists have had that nasty experience...

4. mamboking

mamboking New Member

In all fairness, I will gladly take a bee sting anyday rather than say, being ran off the road or cut off by a car as many cyclists have had it happened to them. ;)

5. HenryLaRoy

HenryLaRoy New Member

Well to commiserate, the same thing happened to my mom on a biking vacation in VT. :( I've sucked a lot of bugs in my mouth but so far the worst I've had to deal with is a tickle in my throat. I also flyfish, so I've sort of gotten accustomed to the occassional bug meal. I don't eat a lot of meat, so I figger the protein is good for me.

6. bulaboy

bulaboy New Member

I'm riding in the drops when a bee whaps into my helmet and lands, stunned, on my thigh, whereupon he stings me. Got to see the stinging from only a foot away. Never seen that on the animal network! Sucked one in and got stung on the tongue once too

7. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

I had a bee get swooped up into my jersey on a steep downhill. I couldn't stop so I found him from outside my jersey and squished him (between a fold of lycra). At the bottom I shook him out but I had a sting on the chest. Luckily I'm not alergic.

Also took a bee hit right in the eye one time, couldn't open my eye for about 20 minutes but it didn't sting me - I always wear sunglasses now.

8. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Yup, had my fair share of protein. Got stung by a bee on a ride recently on a finger. Had a number of bugs stuck in my jersey, and come to think of it, got stung by a bee on the nape of my neck on a downhill once. Ouch. :(

9. daniels

daniels New Member

A bee flew straight through one of my helmet vents once. I could feel it squirming around underneath, but by the time I'd ripped my helmet off (which took about 1 second) it had already stung me. Luckily the sting wasn't too bad and only hurt for the next day or two.

Another time on a ride a bug flew into my friend's ear. He could feel it crawling around inside. We poured about half a bottle of water into his ear before it flushed out.

I'm not sure what would be worse, having a bug in your ear or a bee in your mouth?!

10. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

So far this year I am four out of five for getting stung when a bee flies into my jersey. Halfway unzipped full zip jerseys look cool on the pros, but they have a downside. The stings hurt for a few minutes.