What are the ways to stay healthy?

bruceduhamel

Feb 4, 2010
1.Eating a diet that is low on fat, high on fibre with adequate servings of fresh vegetables and fruits is known to prevent health complications and many common illnesses. Such a diet is even known to combat some forms of cancer.

2.Maintaining an optimum weight, being physically able whatever your age, going easy on high calories and salt and keeping intake of alcohol to a minimum helps in preventing cholesterol and blood pressure.

3.Avoiding tobacco in any form will prove to be beneficial

Reactions: cycling_bodybuilder
All of the above.

Plus protein.
if you're racing/training you need energy - and protein is the best source (IMO).

Add healthy living to your life through healthy foods and exercise equipment..
Thanx for sharing all your advices here......:)

All of the above...

+ good healthy fats and lean meat products and fatty fish.

+ above all else - peace of mind (through daily meditation in my case).

i must relate my experience with giving up refined sugar...

instantly i started eating more fruit & raisins and drinking more whole juice, so obviously i have a sweet tooth! but the benefit was that i get sick much less often and when i do the symptoms are much less severe. i used to marvel at friends who said they caught the flu but were still getting around ok and keeping a normal schedule, a bout of flu always put me down for several days if not a week and it was usually 3-4 times per year...

i dont recall making any other changes during this period.

*your results may vary

;-)

To keep a long story short, I do believe in getting vaccinations. Though I did not have any of the outer signs of the H1N1 virus, I suffered from being really run down and got a shot and felt better almost immediately. I think I must have had the H1N1 in some sort of dormant stage for 2 years, I'd never had a flu that I'd felt could have killed me it was so bad. Even during the summer, I worked out hard and on 4th of July, of course, American holiday, I had to spend in bed, I was so knocked out and I slept. Get the shots, swine flu and regular flu shots, I won't fool around with this anymore again ever.

All great advice. I would add stretching to keep the body supple and a strobg positive attitude. Avoid falling into society norms about what you are supposed to do. You know what I mean, the people who say "You're too old for that" BS

I think Exercise is the one of the best ways to keep fit and healthy. Simple fitness exercises can help to have a fitter and healthy life. Stretching exercises can help in many ways in mainting a fitter body. So keep exercising regularly.......

What You Can Do To Stay Healthy
Evidence shows that some of the leading causes of death in the United States, such as heart disease, cancer, stroke, some lung diseases, injuries, and HIV/AIDS, often can be prevented by improving personal health habits. Eating right, staying physically active, and not smoking are a few examples of good habits that can help you stay healthy.
Creating a Healthy Lifestyle

Last year, I started walking with a group of women five times a week. We're now up to 3 miles each time. It's both my social and exercise time of the day. I actually miss our time together on the days we don't walk.
--Maria W.
Eating Right

Eating the right foods and the right amounts of foods can help you live a longer, healthier life. Research has proven that many illnesses—such as diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure—can be prevented or controlled by eating right. Getting the nutrients you need, such as calcium and iron, and keeping your weight under control can help. Try to balance the calories you get from food with the calories you use through physical activity (select for more information about physical activity). It is never too late to start eating right. Here are some helpful tips.
Eat a variety of foods, especially:
bullet.gif
Vegetables. Choose dark-green leafy and deep-yellow vegetables.
bullet.gif
Fruits. Choose citrus fruits or juices, melons, and berries.
bullet.gif
Dry beans (such as red beans, navy beans, and soybeans), lentils, chickpeas, and peanuts.
bullet.gif
Whole grains, such as wheat, rice, oats, corn, and barley.
bullet.gif
Whole grain breads and cereals.
Eat foods low in fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, especially:
bullet.gif
Fish.
bullet.gif
Poultry prepared without skin; lean meat.
bullet.gif
Low-fat dairy products.
Weight Control

Weighing too much or too little can lead to health problems. After age 45, many people gain too much weight. You can control your weight by eating healthy foods and being physically active. For more information, select the next section, "Physical Activity."
Ask your health care professional:
bullet.gif
What is a healthy weight for me?
bullet.gif
What are some ways I can control my weight?
Keep track of your weight. Use your personal prevention chart.
Physical Activity

Research shows that physical activity can help prevent at least six diseases: heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity (excess weight), diabetes, osteoporosis, and mental disorders, such as depression. Physical activity also will help you feel better and stay at a healthy weight. Research suggests that brisk walking can be just as good for you as an activity such as jogging. Try to do a total of 30 minutes of constant physical activity, such as fast walking, most days of the week.
Before you start being physically active:
bullet.gif
Talk with your doctor about ways to get started.
bullet.gif
Choose something that fits into your daily life, such as walking, gardening, raking leaves, or even washing windows.
bullet.gif
Choose an activity you like, such as dancing or swimming.
bullet.gif
Try a new activity, like biking.
bullet.gif
Ask a friend to start with you, or join a group.
Don't quit:
bullet.gif
Make time for physical activity, start slowly, and keep at it.
bullet.gif
If the weather is bad, try an exercise show on TV, watch an exercise tape in your home, walk in the mall, or work around the house.
Safe Sex

Sexually transmitted diseases. Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), such as herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia, are passed easily from one person to the next through sexual intercourse. STDs are more common in people under the age of 50. But, if you or your partner have other sexual partners, you are at risk for STDs. You can lower your chances of getting an STD by using a latex condom every time you have sex. If you have not taken this step, you may need testing for STDs.
HIV and AIDS. AIDS is a disease that breaks down the body's ability to fight infection and illness. AIDS is caused by the HIV virus. By preventing HIV infection, you can prevent AIDS.
People in midlife and those who are older can become infected with HIV. In fact, 10 percent of all AIDS cases in the United States have occurred in people over the age of 50.

There are different ways to stay healthy.Eat right, do exercise and do what you love. If you love cycling, you can plan to do plan a cycling trip and find a cycling partner to have more fun and thrill.

The funny thing about all this stuff, I knew two health fanatics in my life time, one was a licensed nutritionist and some other certifications I forget, as well as a life long (learned the vegan diet from her parents) strict vegan; the other was also a licensed nutritionist and a semi vegan, the only meat she ate was fish. Both spent a lot of money on vitamins and herbs and who knows what else and both of these two women died of cancer before they reached 50! I had a neighbor who smoked 2 packs of cigs a day and lived to be 91 and died of natural causes. George Burns led a very unhealthy lifestyle and he died just short of his 100th birthday from a blow to the head. I realize cigs and chewing is very bad for your health so I'm not promoting do whatever the hell you want because it won't matter, but I also know that genetics plays a huge role on how long a person is going to live. I personally do not subscribe to going out and paying big money on natural ****, or vitamins and herbs because that stuff has no science to back up their claims. Personally I think that the vitamin and herb market needs to be regulated by the government due to all the false statements they make.

Look, if you eat the right combination of food you will be as healthy as your genes dictate you to be plus you won't need to supplement with vitamins. So what is the right combination of food? I think this is more than adequate: https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/archived_projects/MyPyramid Peer to Peer.pdf Even if you live in an area like I do that is recommended that you take vitamin D in the winter due to the lack of sunshine you can still get what you need through food instead of a pill, an example of foods that provide vitamin D include: Fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, and salmon; foods fortified with vitamin D, like some dairy products, orange juice, soy milk, and cereals; beef liver; cheese; and egg yolks. Everything your body needs is in food, no pill necessary. There are some cases where elderly people can't extract enough vitamin B12, in those cases, after a blood check is done to confirm, they are given a shot, a shot works a lot better than a pill but a B12 pill can help stabilize it.

Now of course is you eat mostly fast food and have no desire to change your diet than taking a multi vitamin may be necessary.

Your doctor can actually do a blood test to see if you are lacking in any areas, once you find out if your lacking in an area or more then you can find food that can address that shortage. I get this sort of blood test once a year.

Reactions: Kakashi
1.Eating a diet that is low on fat, high on fibre with adequate servings of fresh vegetables and fruits is known to prevent health complications and many common illnesses. Such a diet is even known to combat some forms of cancer.

2.Maintaining an optimum weight, being physically able whatever your age, going easy on high calories and salt and keeping intake of alcohol to a minimum helps in preventing cholesterol and blood pressure.

3.Avoiding tobacco in any form will prove to be beneficial

I agree with your points, however if you sweat a lot while cycling/working out make sure to intake enough salt. Salt is crucial for your electrolyte balance, and if you don't get enough sodium you can have some side effects like nausea, lethargy, cramps, fatigue, headaches etc.

I wrote an article on my blog about eggs and oatmeal and how they are a great fuel source. Check it out here if your interested.
Later!

By the way, salt intake has to be monitored closely because for some an overabundance of salt can cause kidney stones, which trust me you don't want those! So it's crucial to listen to your body, cramps is one such indication, but that could also be from simply a lack of water and salt having nothing to do with it, the same is with fatigue and headaches, so one has to look at the color of their urine, it's a very pale yellow then more than likely you're getting enough fluid thus if you still have cramps, fatigue, and headaches then your sodium and potassium levels are probably low.

Cycling Bodybuilder above mentioned Oatmeal, this stuff is better for you than most people realize, and steel cut oats is the best, but anyways this stuff can lower both your total cholesterol and your LDL.

I can't claim that I am healthy but I can say that I am healthier than the average. First, I don't have an unhealthy vice since I never smoked and I don't drink alcohol except for punch or a mixed drink when there is an occasion. But my forte in health is my habit to sleep early. My bedtime now is 9 pm and I wake up by 4 am. That's early to bed and early to rise for me. With the food, we try to have a balanced menu for the week, a mix of vegetables, meat and fish. Unfortunately, I am not riding anymore and it's been a long time since I last pedaled.

All of those ideas are very effective in keeping our body healthy. We must be conscious in our health and stay away from bad habits like smoking or even drinking. Eating the proper nutrition and must have at least 7-8 hours daily. Practice various exercises in the morning to keep regular blood circulation.