What are they called??

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Jan 30, 2006.

  1. Hi, can anyone tell me what the brass plaques with directions and
    distances to far away places are called.. I recently came across one at
    the mull of galloway lighthouse. I thought they were called vistagrams
    but I am not sure...

    Tags:

  2. trek

    trek Guest

    According to my guide books it's called a view indicator, but no doubt
    there's a more technical name...

  3. Baz

    Baz Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi, can anyone tell me what the brass plaques with directions and
    > distances to far away places are called.. I recently came across one at
    > the mull of galloway lighthouse. I thought they were called vistagrams
    > but I am not sure...

    Toposcope?

  4. Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the
    wonderful person Baz <[email protected]> said
    >[email protected] wrote:
    >> Hi, can anyone tell me what the brass plaques with directions and
    >> distances to far away places are called.. I recently came across one at
    >> the mull of galloway lighthouse. I thought they were called vistagrams
    >> but I am not sure...
    >>

    >Toposcope?

    Toposcope is the right answer AFAIK. There are a couple near here - I
    even copied one.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can

  5. In message <[email protected]>, GSV Three Minds in a Can
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the
    >wonderful person Baz <[email protected]> said
    >>[email protected] wrote:
    >>> Hi, can anyone tell me what the brass plaques with directions and
    >>> distances to far away places are called.. I recently came across one at
    >>> the mull of galloway lighthouse. I thought they were called vistagrams
    >>> but I am not sure...
    >>>

    >>Toposcope?

    >Toposcope is the right answer AFAIK. There are a couple near here - I
    >even copied one.

    Mime?
    --
    Martin Richardson
    272/284 Munros - 4% to go 34/34 'Furths'- 0% to go

  6. Martin Richardson

    > Mime?

    Impression ?

  7. Dick Gays

    Dick Gays Guest

    "jimmywaltonuk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Hi, can anyone tell me what the brass plaques with directions and
    > distances to far away places are called.. I recently came across one at
    > the mull of galloway lighthouse. I thought they were called vistagrams
    > but I am not sure...

    Isn't topograph the right word? not much different from toposcope I
    know, but "scope" means an instrument for looking through.

  8. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

  9. Not checked but if the long & lat are the wrong way round, that's a bit
    of an embarassing error for the OS

  10. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    WheresThePath.com wrote:

    >Not checked but if the long & lat are the wrong way round, that's a bit
    >of an embarassing error for the OS

    Balwest Heritage Society obviously don't know that lines of longitude
    are so named because they are longer than lines of latitude and define
    your position along a line of latitude.

  11. norsch

    norsch Guest

  12. Graham Seed

    Graham Seed Guest

    "W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > WheresThePath.com <[email protected]> writes
    >>Topograph get's my vote!
    >>
    >>James
    >>http://www.wheresthepath.com
    >>

    > See:
    >
    > http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/photos/img439.htm
    > --

    Ordnance Survey Topograph? That's a new one! Presumably someone has used a
    redundant trig for this. I had a look for the OS equivalent of Topograph and
    it was something mundane...Viewpoint Pillar, I think.

    Graham

  13. Here's one from Somerset, although I didn't know what it was called
    when I photographed it!

    Hill</a>

    Patrick

  14. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    norsch <[email protected]> writes
    >W. D. Grey wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]roups.com>,
    >> WheresThePath.com <[email protected]> writes
    >> >Topograph get's my vote!
    >> >
    >> >James
    >> >http://www.wheresthepath.com
    >> >

    >> See:
    >>
    >> http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/photos/img439.htm
    >> --
    >> Bill Grey
    >> http://www.billboy.co.uk

    >or take a look at
    >http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=toposcope&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

    Indeed a nice collection. It would appear that many were erected to
    commemorate the Millennium.

    Anyone visiting the Gower Peninsular can see one on Cefn Bryn ridge. I
    think I have a photo on my web-site (I cant see my own site these days
    :-(
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk