What are you doing about spam?

Discussion in 'Tell us what you think!' started by Nigel Doyle, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Nigel Doyle

Nigel Doyle Member

Seems you guys have a major spam issue. Most days I come here there's spam posts. Today was just insane with a large number of spam threads. It's pretty easy these days to install spam filters that prevent spammers creating accounts. I run a large forum that gets more posts that this one. I get zero spam.

If you can't install filters / spam prevention measures then you should change to forum software that does cater for this. I use Invision Power Board. With that there are a range of anti spam measures that can be implemented.

Tags:

2. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I do my best but I have other obligations than removing spam. Some days I feel like the Lone Ranger without Tonto. On the up side I have remodeled my kitchen 4 time, bought a crap load of tennis shoes and have fake passports to 108 countries.
    Pretty sure Steve has a spam filter but that is out of my realm.

3. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

The spam issue has almost disappeared since we migrated to the new software. So far only 5 spam messages have been posted :D

We just need to keep monitoring it and try to stay one step ahead of them.

4. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

The new platform (Xenforo) that the forum runs on has a feature called Spam Cleaner accessible by mods & admins, if we label a reported post as spam it brings up the feature that will get rid of all posts and threads from that user and ban them - all in one step. So if you spot one before one of us does, just report it like in the past & one of us will take care of it.

5. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Before this though, we have implemented a bunch of background checking that seems to be blocking about 95% of spammers, checks include;
    • Check new registrations against a 2 central databases of known spammers inc. IP address, username, email address
    • Another function times how long registration take - bots complete a form instantly whereas humans might take 10-30 seconds
    • The content of the first few messages are checked through the Akismet spam filter
    Then if they get through this, the spam cleaner function allows us to nuke their whole account with a single click :cool: Its a huge improvement on the implementations used on the two previous software we ran.

6. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, where are most spammers from?
    What kind of email domains are they using?

7. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

India, china, indonesia, russia etc.. domains, lots of .ru and .com domains.

Volnix likes this.
  8. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

Sometimes they've been able to sneak through by registering through Facebook or Twitter, that's happened on a few occasions on another Xenforo-based forum I mod on.

9. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point, i never thought to investigate that.

10. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Fanks. ;). So they "outsource" the Spamming? :D

I am reporting about 10 posts on fb a day. Except the Minnions (Damn them) Some people actually press "like" on some pretty horrid stuff... (So, they "like" that stuff then?) And then are the really weird stuff from Asia...

FacebĪ™ock is out of control IMO. It also has a lot of more seriously malovelant activity innit lately... :(