What are you oppinions on alternative methods of Drivetrain, e.g. Belts, Shafts and frictional drive

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Linfdogg, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Linfdogg

Linfdogg New Member

Hello. As part of my studies i am concentrating on a project which involves the bicycles Drive method and how this could be improved or substituted with an alternative method.
    I would appreciate it if anybody would like to comment their views on the chain drive, belt drive, shaft drive or frictional drives.
    Opinions, reviews and a general debate about the performance, efficiency, endurance and durability of the said methods would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Being able to shift gears, having a useful range of gears, and having the ability to alter my range of gears by changing a cassette is important to me. Currently the only drive that provides this without a lot of weight is chain drive. Belt drive would only be good for single speed bikes or ones that have internally geared hubs. Shaft drives tend to be heavy and frictional drives all seem to have a degree of slippage which robs your energy. That's my opinion, do the rest of the assignment on your own.

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

It's going to be mighty tough to beat the 98% mechanical efficiency of a chain drive bicycle. The only benefit I see to belt or shaft drive bikes is the clean drivetrains. That's something commuters might appreciate, and in that instance, I think belt would beat shaft.

4. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Speaking of road bicycles. Hard to beat a multi cog, chain drive, derailleured drivetrain. Efficient, simple, cheap, no need for a unique frame(belt). Been around for decades, works well, done.

5. bitecolum

bitecolum New Member

I'm looking for as maintenance free bike as I can find for commuting and transportation. I ride a lot of miles per year and I'm tired of replacing chainrings, cassettes, and chains. The belt drive teamed up with a 14-gear Rohloff hub seems like a great solution. I'd really like to hear from anyone who has used a belt drive and can share their experience, either good or bad.

6. Gretzky1

Gretzky1 New Member

Maintenance free bike? If anyone could invent that, they would be the richest man in the world!

7. tafi

tafi Member

The reason for the chain drive is that it is STILL the best balance of efficiency, durability and weight.

Shaft drives seem cool as the shafts wont wear and mechanisms can be (almost) sealed. But they dont provide an easy way of meshing the drive with the rear wheel. This may become more popular for commuter/town/shopping bikes as they require less maintenance.

Belt drives are cleaner than chains but inefficient and not necessarily quiet. They also don't come apart (so the frame has to "break" to allow you to mount a new one). A friend of mine tried one and the belt slipped on an incline causing him to launch himself over the bars. Some sort of tensioner is a must.