What are your cycling sunnies?

warnsey1

Jul 11, 2007
Well most of you wear them so what are they?

Myself I can't decide. In the front running are the Specialized Arc, Rudy Rydon photochromatic and Oakley Jacket.

So what are yours? Brand, Lense colour, transition, polarized, interchangable???

Cheers

I'm one of those who thinks expensive sunnies are a ripoff, so I use $25 Euros

I to use to be like yourself. However a few year back I worked at sunglasses shop and soon realised the difference between a quality lense and very poor lense. Just because they meet standards for UV does not mean that they are of good optical quality and in some cases they can actually strain your eyes. However, in saying that, some of the 'fashion' brands have the absolute worst lenses i've looked through.

What? People wear shades other than M Frames? :)

Actually, I interchange between M Frames (with a lense to suit the conditions) and Oakley Zeros. I've got 2 sets of Zeros, a normal set which are great and a set of the freaky Landis'esque ones ... what was I thinking?

--brett

Wear whatever fits your face. Unfortunately for me, only one model from one brand fits me well. :(

sideshow_bob said:
What? People wear shades other than M Frames? :)

Actually, I interchange between M Frames (with a lense to suit the conditions) and Oakley Zeros. I've got 2 sets of Zeros, a normal set which are great and a set of the freaky Landis'esque ones ... what was I thinking?

--brett
I have a horrible cheap pair of sunglasses now. I went to a local bike shop tonight and looked at several Oakleys which did seem very nice and probably worth the money. I was looking specifically at flak jacket gold polarized. Could you give me your thoughts on those or another model since you own several pairs of Oakleys?

Thanks!~

Black Rudy Kerosenes, with black, rose, and clear prescription lenses made by Sports Optical, in Colorado. No stupid prescription inserts for me, thank you.

I squint my eyes. I wear glasses and am too poor to purchase prescription sunglasses.

Pretzel said:
I squint my eyes. I wear glasses and am too poor to purchase prescription sunglasses.
Rudy Project Rydons, one with yellow lenses and one with multilaser blue lenses

Native Dash XP, with several interchangeable lenses. Bought 'em on sale at REI. Except on cloudy days I wear the grey polarized ones, with stick-on bifocals so I can read menus, maps Etc. They work great; never fog up.

Rudy Horus with prescription smoke lenses (NOT add-on inserts)...well worth the money! Actually, they were not that pricy, considering the quality, which is top-notch. No more contacts :)

$15 Home Hardware yellow-tinted protective glasses. Keeps the wind, bugs and wet-weather road grime out, and seeing I usually ride in poor light it improves my vision and I don't have to worry about not looking uber-cool since it's too dark for anyone else to really see what I'm wearing. :eek:

They embarass my teenage daughter, though, which is definitely a bonus. :p

Smith Catalyst with interchangeable lenses [clear, yellow, tobacco, grey polarized].

Lightweight, durable, comfy. Much of the year, I keep all the lenses in my seat pack incase I start to loose the light a long way from home.

I've not long upgraded from Dale Ernhardt(Daytona racer) crappy ones(but nice n large and look sporty) in black with dark grey lenses(my only colour choice) to some Alpina from Torpedo7. The look better(better lenses too) but don't come up as high so there is often a strip between helmet and sunnies that the sun streams in through.:eek:

I always cut the protuding ends off the arms as when I have my skull cap on(winter here) with the original lenght arms it pushes the sunnies forward and down my nose a bit.