What are your major differances between training and riding for fun?

For me training has to be related with a goal, we are after some competition or a specific time. As for riding for fun, for me it means to go with the flow, just ride when we feel like it.

What you've described is as close to heaven as I've ever imagined. I am always in too much of a hurry to enjoy it like that

While I definitely get where you're coming from, some of my "fun" rides hurt.

My favorite ride is the Wind ride. I work on a road with a big shoulder that runs almost exactly NW to SE. On days when there is 20+Mph wind coming out of the NW, I get on my bike and slog in the little ring up the road around 6.5 miles, then I turn around and see if I can get a speeding ticket. It feels like I'm flying, and I LOVE it when I can actually hear my tires start to sing!

I think it brings back the memories of being a kid and going down the BIG hill on my bike.

I'm a big fan of enjoying myself. I would go as far as to say I'm obsessive about it. When I ride its more about enjoying it than anything. I don't want to do something I don't like.

nickiula said:
For decades I rode to improve. This year (and perhaps all future years) I am riding to have fun. These are some of my favorite "differences" between training and joy riding.

• I no longer get into an aero position when riding down hills. In fact, I sit upright and allow the wind to blow against my torso! Feels great.
  • I no longer take gels, energy bars, or anything pre-fab for nutrition on my rides. Instead, I take dates, Nut-butter sandwiches, cold pizza (no cheese cause I am vegan), Stuff that tastes real good, requires chewing, and I look forward to eating.
  • I no longer fear corners. Most of the time I corner well within my abilities -- stress free cornering.
  • My new routes are now planned primarily on the basis of scenery and lack of traffic.
  • I have attached a mirror to my handlebar. No more am I a contortionist, petrified of riding outside the bike lane or making left hand turns.
  • When I come across another rider, no longer do I speed up and give the appearance that I am not at all tired. Instead, I greet them enthusiastically and do my best to make eye contact. However, I do sometimes catch myself speeding up "just a little." That is near impossible to control.
  • I have attached to my handlebar a small music speaker that can hold 16 gigs of music. I have it playing constantly at full volume. It's wonderful to ride and hear your favorite music. (note -- it plays music from a speaker -- I do not use earbuds).
  • Swapped out my 20mm tires for 23mm tires --- and use a heavier tube. As a result, less flats and more comfy ride.
  • Put my triple beam balance scale into storage. I no longer worry or even think about "grams".
  • I used to prepare my own energy drinks with a complex formula of, organic rice syrup, powdered electrolytes, organic sweetened cranberry juice (for the anti-oxidants) and well water. Now I use my favorite fruit juice at the time and dilute it 70% with well water. So much easier to prepare and tastier than cranberry juice (yuk!).
  • I almost never use my Camelback anymore. When taking long rides, I try to plan a refuel stop at my work or even back at home. OK, not too glamorous, but it beats wrestling with those Camelbacks.
  • NO MORE PUNCHING THOSE BIG GEARS!!!!
  • I live in an extremely rural part of PA. Most of my rides are surrounded by farms, forests and pastures. I will slow down and talk to to the grazing horses, goats, sheep, donkeys, ducks and cows. It's very therapeutic -- give it try!
  • Sometimes when I get home, I don't even check my cyclocomputer for distance or average speed!
  • I ride with an extra tube, CO2 dispensor and three cartridges, and tire pump. I like having the peace of mind knowing I can have multiple flats and not be concerned. I used to NEVER carry the CO2 dispensor and cartridges.
  • Any hill with an 11% gradient or greater is avoided. (but not always, they can still be fun sometimes.)
  • I don't voluntarily ride in the rain or dark.
  • My daily rides used to average about 30 miles, now only 22 miles. I do not consider that as a positive variance, but felt obligated to share with the group.

I will probably always ride a bike until the very end. But, for now, it is more enjoyable -- though not as satisfying. There is certainly great value in pushing yourself to meet and eventually exceeding pre-determined goals. I am very curious if any one out there has any similar thoughts or experiences to share?
Wow that is quite a comprehensive list! I have to say that I have never ridden to train or for any other reason than to get in better shape as I as a bit overweight.

Well when training you have to be in the zone,focused and pushing yourself to the limit, When riding for fun there is no pressure no drive ,just relaxing enjoying the breeze and admiring your surroundings, just taking everything in you know.