What Are Your Thoughts On Tejay Van Garderen?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by steve, Mar 15, 2015.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

He went from outstanding favourite to an also ran in the space of a week. Does he have what it takes to win a GT?

March 5 - Van Garderen '100 per cent ready' for Paris-Nice
    On paper, Tejay van Garderen (BMC) sets out from Maurepas this Sunday as one of the outstanding favourites for final overall victory at Paris-Nice, but the Race to the Sun rarely plays out according to a preordained script.

Twelve months ago, van Garderen’s race was ended prematurely by a bout of illness that forced him to abandon on the second day, but even without such misfortune, BMC directeur sportif Yvon Ledanois warns that Paris-Nice can never be reduced to its set-piece stages.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-garderen-100-per-cent-ready-for-paris-nice

March 15 - Van Garderen not ready to panic after disappointing Paris-Nice
    It was a disappointing result for the 26-year-old American who finished fifth in the Tour de France for the second time last year. But van Garderen said it wasn't time to panic as he continues his preparation for another run at the French Grand Tour's podium this July.

“I came in here with really good form and I had high hopes and it all kind of unraveled after yesterday,” van Garderen said, referring to the nearly five minutes he lost to stage 6 winner Tony Gallopin and other GC favorites on the roads from Vence to Nice.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-garderen-not-ready-to-panic-after-disappointing-paris-nice

Tags:

2. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I think so afterall he is still young and probably won't hit his full potential for a couple more years.

3. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Overrated. The Jurgen Van den Broeck of US cycling.

I also reckon him and Talinsky are almost as bad as crashing as Tyler Farrar. Do the US cycling federation teach crashing at their training camps or something?

4. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah I pretty much agree with that ;)

5. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

Quintana was on the podium in Paris at age 23, and won the Giro at 24. And just won Tirreno-Adriatico. I guess some people reach their full potential before others. ;)

6. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Yep and Indurain was like 27. People peak at different ages.

7. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I would go to say Vangarderen is for sure over touted by the announcers but they get paid to go that. On the other hand I a way past these ages and still waiting on my peak

8. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

And for different reasons. I don't think that in Big Mig's case, it was just a question of late development. :D

9. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

The average age of a TDF winner is 28. So I am thinking that most hit their peak in late 20s.Of course lets don't introduce facts into conversation since they just muddy the debate.

steve likes this.
  10. stevegreer

stevegreer Member

I can't really say that having two fifth place TdF finishes is really a bad thing. I think he has a lot of potential and shouldn't be counted out just yet.

11. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I think van Garderen is a superb talent in my opinion and his 5th place in last years TDF is indicative of his potential.

12. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Indurain also had Professor Conconni in his corner. Having Ferrari's mentor at your side always helps, no?

13. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Really hard to state that all or most winners didn't have extra assistance. The reality is that most get better or build a better team around them in their late 20s.

limerickman likes this.
  14. swampy1970

Crashing 101 is taught at Cat 5 (duffers).

Crashing (advanced) is kept for the Cat 1 guys.

Cat 4 riders get too cocky cause they're no longer Cat 5 and automatically pass the "Bonehead manoevers 101" syllabus with flying colours. Flying - probably a bad choice of words.

15. swampy1970

TJ said he bonked after the rest day in last years Tour. This past Paris Nice he bonked again. Slow learner I see...

I reckon he'll suffer the same fate as Sagan in the big one day races like Tour of flanders, Roubaix or Leige Bastard Leige.. Lots of potential but the trophy cabinet will be lacking the big wins. He'd have to wait for the perfect storm situation to happen, like Nibali in the Tour last year - wait for those faster than you to fall off and quit. Then he may have a chance. Unlike Nibali, TJ will need the mother of all epic crashes in a finale or meteors falling from the sky to take out at least a half dozen key players first.

He finished 5th last year in the Tour. If Bardet didn't puncture repeatedly in the TT's that would have been 6th. No Froome, Contador or Quintana and he's all of a sudden struggling for a top 10. If Porte wasn't forced into a leaders role me probably would have had a chance to top TJ too...

BMC in general did an ace job at falling off in San Remo this past weekend.

steve likes this.
  16. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I concur with what you say.

17. swampy1970

There comes a time with most that are destined for greatness that a progression is made. . Such people win big events and then monuments. They win the smaller stage races and then the Grand Tours. He showed promise almost rivalling Cancellara in the first TT in 2012. In the end he finished 5thThree years later he managed another 5th place - but one where three of the big guys weren't even in the race.

TJ is a really, really good rider - one that everyone of us that hoped to earn a living at bike racing as a teen or twentysomething wishes we could be like. But as good as that is, I don't think the lad is going to be standing on top of the center spot in Paris at the end of any July, nor the same spot in the Giro or Vuelta. There's that lack of kick when it comes to responding to attacks and the corresponding lack of aggression that a Tour winner needs. To be within an hour of a Tour de France winner is an amazing feat, to be within 15 minutes is almost God like status but as good as it is, it ain't gonna cut the mustard with the likes of Froome, Porte, Contador, Pinot and Quintana racing.

I think Sagan is in the same boat with the one day races. A stupidly gifted rider. Immense talent. When the roads are lumpy and the races are under 5 hours he's hard to beat - but stick him in a Tour of Flanders or another race over 6 hours and the lad just doesn't have the gas left in the tank. He knows the moves to follow but the legs ain't there. Maybe, and I say hopefully, that'll change with age but I've been hoping that for a few years. I like his style and no bullshit attitude but I can't see him winning Flanders. If he was the heir apparent to Boonen and Cancellara then LeFevre would have sold half of his team to sign him to QuickStep.

18. Charlie M

Charlie M New Member

TJ doesn't seem willing to risk blowing up and going for the win vs. holding position.

Sagan seemed to have change tactis last year. I don't know if he lost trust in his ability, but he seems willing to sit on a wheel much longer than in years past and he can't kick with the true sprinters. I think he could be more successfull attacking with 1 to 2 k to go. I know other people won't let him go and he is marked, but at least kill their sprint and give yourself a chance. But I am splitting hairs here. His string of top 5 finishes in the past year is ridiculous. Unfortunately you are only remembered for your wins.

19. swampy1970

Classo,

I see TJ fell off again today. He's probably cursing you for taking his training wheels off...

20. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he used my recent post as motivation to win the stage last night

steve likes this.