What are your toy luxuries?

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
What are your luxury toys that give you pleasure in life? For me, it's my $27,000? 16 bike collection of 7 bmx, 2 mtn, and 7 road bikes. Too big to mention in detail, but my best bikes are:

Best BMX - Hutch Trickstar currently being assembled from the best 80's retro bike part on ebay.
2nd best bmx - my 1983 Hutch Pro Racing bike modded for freestyle with the best 80's retro parts had since 1983. The old school bike were the best bmx freestyle bikes ever made! Modern bmx bikes suck!

I'm not really into mtn bikes, but I have 2; Shimano XT modded Pacifc bike with 2 Jandd Panniers and a 2003 Cannondale F600. I hardly ride these and don't sell them because of poor resale. Will put a gas bike engine on the F600.

Best road racing bike - 2006 carbon fiber Cervelo Soloist Team with an ergomo pro, Zipp 404 clincher wheels, Zero Gravity Ti brakes, Sellle Passione CF Seat, Campy Record Derailleurs / Chorus Shifters. About $8800 at bike shop prices, bought all from ebay for a total of $5600!

Other workout bikes: I have a $4000 Aluminum 2004 Cervelo Soloist Team with HED 3 wheels, a $3813 custom 2005 Kestrel Talon, a $2600 2006 Raleigh Prestige.

Best commuter / shopping / workout bike - this is the best carbon aluminum road bike ever built that can fit panniers - a 2007 Trek Pilot 2.1 Spa. Modded with ceramic bearing Ksyrium Sls, a Polar Powermeter, a Journey Axiom 100lb capacity rack, and 2 Jandd Commuter panniers. Worth $2800 - My dream commuter bike! Right now in Houston - I use it the most!

Well, my entire women's clothes collection is a luxury too, because why would a guy need this! It's a crossdressers dream of 80+ skirt suits, beautiful lingerie - mostly Wacaol, Liz Clairborne, and misc brands, but no Victorias Secret except for a slip. Then nice cheerleader, schoolgirl, and goth outfits!

Upcoming luxury I probably don't need - a BMW 330CI, 330i, or 330 ZHP. Just a toy weekend car. 01 to 03 models: 0-60 in 6.1 sec at 18/27 mpg on premium. 04 0-60 in 5.7 sec with 6 spd transmission vs 5 spd previous. Wanna get one with Sport Package, Premium Package, wood trim, sunroof, 5 spoke BMW mags, grey leather, and in WHITE! Might settle for other colors, but it's got to be loaded! And I can wait for the perfect one, as buy then I'll have cash to pay, no load. Right now I've only got $8000 cash to spare. Gotta go on a spending diet! I wanna pay only $10,000 to $14,000 for one. Will sacrifice $18,000 for a perfect ZHP.

Stereo - a $12,000 stereo system at home in Chicago. Rotel power amps, Nakamichi 2 head tape deck, NAD CD deck, Hafler Iris Preamp, NHT speakers bought as an employee, Lexicon CP1, MIT speaker Cables, and a powered subwoofer. Ok, it's outdated but still sounds good - all early 90's equipment!

Electronics - a JVC MG130 30GB Hard Drive camcorder - has low res youtube video mode, a JVC HD6 HD 1080p 120GB camcorder, and a Fuji S9100 digital camera.

My other good stuff is stuff I need, not a luxury. I dig my 1999 loaded Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L with tow hitch, my modded 44 mpg 1999 Civic HX with tow hitch, my $2500 Dell E1705 after 40% EPP discount, and my iPod 8GB Special edition Red Nano.

Reactions: haleylx4
you really gave this some thought. I'll list what I have without going in too much detail.

sit on top kayak
recreational canoe that can fit 3 people or 2 adults and 3-4 kids
Kawasaki ninja 650r
a collection of 5 radio control cars, 4 are nitro powered and 1 electric
my acura integra modded with a roof rack w/canoe bracket, kayak rack, and a trunk rack for bikes.
3 bicycles, 2 mtb and 1 road
I have a collection of 5 assorted pistols and rifles that I use for target practice and home defense/when **** hits the fan situation.
I'm sure there's more but can't think of it right now.

My legs! I love biking, hiking, jogging, etc. I don't like to sit around much so I try to get out and work the legs.

I simply cannot afford any toys right now. My only toy is my nikon DSLR I juat got with my tax stimulus check. Thw wallet is kind of dusty right now.

JTE83 said:
Hey, just don't rob me of my skirt suits!

You need them because???

My toys hmm

My 4wd cause it's fun to take out bush
My DSLR cameras
Computers
My bike
Treadmill
Home cinema
Home gym
the list could go on

The six women I am doing on the side........

just kidding dear, if you read this.......its only 3.

Lets see, I guess my 3 DSLRs and 3 SLRs

6 computers, my Samurai and ATV, 2 home theatres with 1 plasma and one LCD. My $379 hockey skates, my 3 fish tanks, among other stuff....too much stuff.

baj32161 said:
I simply cannot afford any toys right now. My only toy is my nikon DSLR I juat got with my tax stimulus check. Thw wallet is kind of dusty right now.

I'm considering getting a Nikon D40. Which Nikon did you get? Let me know how you like it.

My goat and my **** eating dog. Lawn mowed, no mess and environmental friendly!

dbackmtg said:
My goat and my **** eating dog. Lawn mowed, no mess and environmental friendly!
Does the goat qualify you for an agricultural subsidy?...
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

dbackmtg said:
I'm considering getting a Nikon D40. Which Nikon did you get? Let me know how you like it.
I bought a D40X last summer and I love it! The D40X is a D40 with 10.2 megapixels instead of 6. As with all cameras it has features that I don't really need or use, but it has some that I cannot remember how I was able to photograph without them. The D40 and D40X have in camera editing but I can't imagine using it since I have the full Adobe Photoshop on my computer:p. If I had it to do all over again though, I would take a look at the D200 and the D80 just because they have better metering and more focus points. The D40 only gives you three.

kdelong said:
I bought a D40X last summer and I love it! The D40X is a D40 with 10.2 megapixels instead of 6. As with all cameras it has features that I don't really need or use, but it has some that I cannot remember how I was able to photograph without them. The D40 and D40X have in camera editing but I can't imagine using it since I have the full Adobe Photoshop on my computer:p. If I had it to do all over again though, I would take a look at the D200 and the D80 just because they have better metering and more focus points. The D40 only gives you three.
My peeve with the D40 or D40X is that it doesn't have the capability to drive the focus motor in a lens. Hence, if the lens doesn't have autofocus feature (and only AF-S lenses have it), then you have to do manual focus. BTW, the D300 is supposed to be a winner in terms of camera body.

TheDarkLord said:
My peeve with the D40 or D40X is that it doesn't have the capability to drive the focus motor in a lens. Hence, if the lens doesn't have autofocus feature (and only AF-S lenses have it), then you have to do manual focus. BTW, the D300 is supposed to be a winner in terms of camera body.
Sorry to hijack this thread. Yeah, they put a focus motor in the lens so they could make the camera body smaller and lighter. It makes the lenses much more expensive. My girlfriend has a D50 and I have to manually focus when I use her lenses, and she can't use mine at all. This is not a problem though because her lens collection duplicates mine and then some!

I belong to a group of digital artists and photographers and Canon is choice of the group here. Most are shooting a 30D or a 40D with a couple of 5Ds. We all absolutely love them and they have been bullet proof. I shoot sports and have been hit with hockey sticks, player helmets, football players, volleyballs and players, I'll strap it to the back of my ATV and my bicycles to get shots in the woods, never missed a lick. I run a 30D, 20D, and 300D. All of them have been trouble free and provided great results. I've had pics published in numerous magazines, calenders, news papers, I sell prints, portraits, senior pics, etc....no, no weddings, I hate shooting weddings. Canon is the largest producer of DSLRs and digital cameras in the world and has the largest third party support.

stlblues said:
I belong to a group of digital artists and photographers and Canon is choice of the group here. Most are shooting a 30D or a 40D with a couple of 5Ds. We all absolutely love them and they have been bullet proof. I shoot sports and have been hit with hockey sticks, player helmets, football players, volleyballs and players, I'll strap it to the back of my ATV and my bicycles to get shots in the woods, never missed a lick. I run a 30D, 20D, and 300D. All of them have been trouble free and provided great results. I've had pics published in numerous magazines, calenders, news papers, I sell prints, portraits, senior pics, etc....no, no weddings, I hate shooting weddings. Canon is the largest producer of DSLRs and digital cameras in the world and has the largest third party support.
Canon vs Nikon is a never ending debate. IMO, both are on the same footing. Photographers will have different preferences depending on how they like the body. I don't have a DLSR myself, although if I do get one, it will probably be a Canon due to the image stabilized zoom lenses that they offer (more choice compared to the equivalent VR lenses of Nikon). But I'm really drooling at the D300 body.

Not to re-hijack this thread, but any suggestions about micro video cameras to set up on your bike while riding?