What bicycle parts?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Cliff.Bruce, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Cliff.Bruce

    Cliff.Bruce Guest

    I have an old Specialized Allez Epi that I have basically road into the ground the past two years.
    I am fairly new to biking but I love it and decided to upgrade my bike. I purchased and
    Specialized S series E5 frame and now need the components to build around it. Can somebody give me
    some advice on what additional items I need and what would be good for this bike. This is what I
    think I need so far:

    Groupo - I will probably end up getting a Shimano Dura Ace group which will need the following. Let
    me know if I am missing anything: Bottom bracket Calipers Casette Front Derailler Back Derailler
    Crank Shifters Cables

    Seat Seat post Bars Stem Pedals

    I already have Rolf Wheels

    Thanks for your assistance

    Tags:

  2. You need: Ultegra bottom bracket, instead of Dura-Ace. Chain. Bar tape. Cable ends. Cable 'donuts'
    & ferrules.

    Do you have all the tools you need? Are you capable of assembling and tuning the bike? Get the
    headset installed at your LBS. Get a tub of white lithium grease for all the threaded fittings
    on the bike.

    "cliff.bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have an old Specialized Allez Epi that I have basically road into the ground the past two years.
    > I am fairly new to biking but I love it and decided to upgrade my bike. I purchased and
    > Specialized S series E5 frame and now need the components to build around it. Can somebody give me
    > some advice on what additional items I need and what would be good for this
    bike.
    > This is what I think I need so far:
    >
    > Groupo - I will probably end up getting a Shimano Dura Ace group which
    will
    > need the following. Let me know if I am missing anything: Bottom bracket Calipers Casette Front
    > Derailler Back Derailler Crank Shifters Cables
    >
    > Seat Seat post Bars Stem Pedals
    >
    > I already have Rolf Wheels
    >
    > Thanks for your assistance

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    cliff.bruce wrote:
    > Groupo - I will probably end up getting a Shimano Dura Ace group which will need the following.
    > Let me know if I am missing anything:

    Chain Headset (?)

    ~PB

  4. Les

    Les Guest

    cliff.bruce, using the address of [email protected], felt it was necessary to post to
    rec.bicycles.tech with the following words of wisdom:

    The frame of the World Champion, that just happens to be Italian, I could suggest nothing less than
    Campagnolo Record.

    --
    remove the "x" if you feel that you must reply to me personally.

  5. J-C

    J-C Guest

    Tyres, rim tape.

    "cliff.bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have an old Specialized Allez Epi that I have basically road into the ground the past two years.
    > I am fairly new to biking but I love it and decided to upgrade my bike. I purchased and
    > Specialized S series E5 frame and now need the components to build around it. Can somebody give me
    > some advice on what additional items I need and what would be good for this
    bike.
    > This is what I think I need so far:
    >
    > Groupo - I will probably end up getting a Shimano Dura Ace group which
    will
    > need the following. Let me know if I am missing anything: Bottom bracket Calipers Casette Front
    > Derailler Back Derailler Crank Shifters Cables
    >
    > Seat Seat post Bars Stem Pedals
    >
    > I already have Rolf Wheels
    >
    > Thanks for your assistance

  6. cliff-<< Groupo - I will probably end up getting a Shimano Dura Ace group which will need the
    following.

    For that money, you ought to also consider Campagnolo Chorus. Very comparible to DA but for less
    money, overhaulable, convertible and maintaiable levers and no worry about it becoming obsolete in
    2004(like DA is gonna become).

  7. Cliff.Bruce

    Cliff.Bruce Guest

    Why would DA become obsolete in 2004? Also is Campy Record better than DA? "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
    > cliff-<< Groupo - I will probably end up getting a Shimano Dura Ace group
    which
    > will need the following.
    >
    > For that money, you ought to also consider Campagnolo Chorus. Very
    comparible
    > to DA but for less money, overhaulable, convertible and maintaiable levers
    and
    > no worry about it becoming obsolete in 2004(like DA is gonna become).

  8. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    Les <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > cliff.bruce, using the address of [email protected], felt it was necessary to post to
    > rec.bicycles.tech with the following words of wisdom:
    >
    > The frame of the World Champion, that just happens to be Italian, I could suggest nothing less
    > than Campagnolo Record.

    Okay, here is my reply. Cipo never won the Milano Remo until he rode Shimano. He won the road
    World title on Shimano and last year was his best year. Do you know what group won the Giro (18
    out of 21 stages), Vuelta, all 4 jerseys in La Tour, World Time Trials? His Specialize was built
    in Northern CA.

  9. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    NOW you're really opening a can of worms!

    D/A is about to "upgrade" the number of gears in 2004.

    "cliff.bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Why would DA become obsolete in 2004? Also is Campy Record better than DA? "Qui si parla
    > Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > cliff-<< Groupo - I will probably end up getting a Shimano Dura Ace
    group
    > which
    > > will need the following.
    > >
    > > For that money, you ought to also consider Campagnolo Chorus. Very
    > comparible
    > > to DA but for less money, overhaulable, convertible and maintaiable
    levers
    > and
    > > no worry about it becoming obsolete in 2004(like DA is gonna become).
    > >
    > > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    > > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  10. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On 10 Feb 2003 13:56:36 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >cliff-<< Groupo - I will probably end up getting a Shimano Dura Ace group which will need the
    >following.
    >
    >For that money, you ought to also consider Campagnolo Chorus. Very comparible to DA but for less
    >money, overhaulable, convertible and maintaiable levers and no worry about it becoming obsolete in
    >2004(like DA is gonna become).

    Yes, what ever you do you don't want to lose as much sleep as I've lost worrying about the
    obsolescence of my DA 8-speed STI; now entering it's eleventh year of satisfactory service. ;-)

  11. Les

    Les Guest

    I know all about Shimano stuff, I use it myself. If I was building a bike, Campy is where I would go
    today, if I had the funds to do what I want. And his Specialized frame was actually built in Taiwan
    - at least that is what the stickers say on the frame I was looking at.

    But thanks for pointing out the obvious, Shimano has better advertising and marketing.....

    Richard Chan, using the address of [email protected], felt it was necessary to post to

    --
    remove the "x" if you feel that you must reply to me personally.

  12. Zaf

    Zaf Guest

    "cliff.bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I purchased and Specialized S series E5 frame and now need the components to build around it. Can
    > somebody give me some advice on what additional items I need and what would be good for this bike.
    <snip> If your frame did not come with it, I find a fork to be a worthwhile investment.

    At the risk of the wrath of all the LBS owners who frequent here, I'll suggest you look at Supergo
    for a build kit, if you're handy with a wrench. Everything expect pressing the headset is pretty
    simple and you will save a bundle.