What bike? (please help)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Chris, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi, New to this group and would like a little advice. After MTB'g for a good few years I've decided
    to get a road bike. I basically whittled it down to three models.

    http://www.trekbike.co.uk/bikes/road/performance/2300.php

    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=03AllezComp27&JServSessionIdro
    ot=m8wt5p7q9p.j27003&bl=road

    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3RR1T.html

    Not knowing much about road bikes I've been trying to find out the best size frame for my build. The
    problem is that one shop recommends one size frame (say 56cm), and another shop recommends 58cm
    (this is on the specialized allez comp). I'm not too sure about the sizing of the other bikes I'm
    interested in but I assume they'll either be 56cm or 58cm. Has anyone ridden these three bikes, or
    does anyone know what they're like compared to each other. I think I need all the help I can get as
    I'm new to the road scene. I'll be using the bike for longish rides over hilly terrain (Mid, North
    Wales road loops etc.)

    TIA.

    --
    chris

    Tags:

  2. Neil

    Neil Guest

    "chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, New to this group and would like a little advice. After MTB'g for a good
    few
    > years I've decided to get a road bike. I basically whittled it down to
    three
    > models.
    >
    > http://www.trekbike.co.uk/bikes/road/performance/2300.php

    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=03AllezComp27&JServSessionIdro
    > ot=m8wt5p7q9p.j27003&bl=road
    >
    > http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3RR1T.html

    Ready made bikes tend to be overpriced at RRP. If I had 1500 to spend it would go like this; Buy a
    mid price ti frame like an airborn say 700 quid, buy a campag groupset from Sdeals say 500 (mix and
    match 10 speed chours, record,centaur) add some campag proton wheels at 180 and spend the rest on
    finishing kit. Then build it yourself. You'd get a much better bike that will ride better and last
    much longer - assuming you build it properly :).

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Not knowing much about road bikes I've been trying to find out the best
    size
    > frame for my build. The problem is that one shop recommends one size frame (say 56cm), and another
    > shop recommends 58cm (this is on the specialized allez comp).

    Ideally you need to ride them, but definately at least sit on them. The given measurements may vary
    as may the opinion of the salesperson.

    > Has anyone ridden these three bikes, or does anyone know what they're like compared to each other.

    I've owned a Cannondale very similar to that shown for just over a year and so far have no
    complaints. The ride can be unforgiving on certain surfaces, I don't know how it compares to the
    others, but it is comfortable overall.

    > I think I need all the help I can get as I'm new to the road scene. I'll be using the bike for
    > longish rides over hilly terrain (Mid, North Wales road loops etc.)

    Yes, the triple chain ring is definately the way to go for Wales IMHO.

    The bottom line may come down to what appeals to your eye as they'll all fine bikes but rule out any
    you can't have a go on (hopefully not all three).

    Pete

  4. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, New to this group and would like a little advice. After MTB'g for a good
    few
    > years I've decided to get a road bike. I basically whittled it down to
    three
    > models.
    >
    > http://www.trekbike.co.uk/bikes/road/performance/2300.php

    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=03AllezComp27&JServSessionIdro
    > ot=m8wt5p7q9p.j27003&bl=road
    >
    > http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3RR1T.html
    >
    > Not knowing much about road bikes I've been trying to find out the best
    size
    > frame for my build. The problem is that one shop recommends one size frame (say 56cm), and another
    > shop recommends 58cm (this is on the specialized allez comp). I'm not too sure about the sizing of
    > the other bikes I'm interested in but I assume they'll either be 56cm or 58cm. Has anyone ridden
    > these three bikes, or does anyone know what they're like compared to each other. I think I need
    > all the help I can get as I'm new to the road scene. I'll be using the bike for longish rides over
    > hilly terrain (Mid, North Wales road loops etc.)
    >
    > TIA.
    >

    > --
    > chris

    Hi Chris. If I was about to spend that much I would probably not buy a complete bike from a large
    manufacturer but buy a frame & groupset. I am quite heavy so I would go for Steel but this is
    personal preference. As I mentioned elsewhere getting the correct size is essential. All the best.

    Stan Cox