What Bike(s) do you ride?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by rossoreduk, Nov 6, 2003.

1. shokhead1

shokhead1 New Member

Wheres the pedals on that nice bike?

2. Cipher

Cipher New Member

The bike was just completed today. (I haven't had a chance to put the pedals on yet). The tree is a box elder, (Wish it was an ash) the back yard is full of 'em.

3. byfred

byfred New Member

Box-Elder? Boy, was I ever off on that one. We call them "Manitoba Maple" here in Ontario.......byfred

4. Cipher

Cipher New Member

Sounds a lot better than Box-Elder... From now on if anyone asks, there Manitoba Maples. :D (People around here do tap them for Maple syrup in the spring after all).

5. 62vette

62vette Well-Known Member

I have upgraded, and sooner than I had expected.

I picked up a bargain last week, the frame has never been ridden, as is the case for about half the components:-

Frame: 2002 GT ZR 1.0, Aluminium with carbon forks and Cane Creek Ahead set
    STI Shifters: Front Ultegra, rear Dura Ace
    Crank: 105
    Stem: 600(Ultegra)
    Derailleurs: Front Dura Ace, rear 105
    Brakes: 600(Ultegra)
    Wheels: Front Wolber CTX rim/105 hub, rear Alex DA22 rim/600(Ultegra) hub

It's a bit of a mixed bag, but all compatible and WAY lighter and more responsive to ride than my old bike.

The previous owner won the frame but it is too small for his 6'3 frame and the remaining components came from his store of cast offs and unused bits accumulated as a sponsored rider.

Lindsay

6. jmcmillanut

jmcmillanut New Member

Dendrology 101

My bad. The deeply-fissured bark resembled that of an ash. Actually, the box elder is a type of maple, and it's in the same genus, Acer.

Notice how its seeds are samaras (the little wind-borne helicopter seeds), just like a regular maple. Additionally, the leaves occur in an opposite arrangement (as opposed to alternate or whorled). Lastly, the trifoliate leaf is actually very similar to the palmate maple leaf (the 3 leaflets are technically one leaf).