What bike should I buy?

Bkzdumbest

Aug 17, 2012
Hi everybody!

I'd like to start mountain biking on the trails they have here in the states of Tennessee or Kentucky. But in a few years I'll probably be going back to my hometown, NYC, where it would be a little harder to find mountains. There's no telling where I will be in a few years but I do plan on biking as hobby. Should I be spending thousands of dollars on a "professional" level bike like this one? http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fly_TeamTI_29_sramxx.htm

How I rationalize the purchase of an expensive bike is that if I spend a lot of money from the start on a good bike I wouldn't find a need in the future on upgrading or replacing bikes.

If you guys think that its too much to spend for a beginner please feel free to drop some suggestions.

Thanks

Edit: Didn't realize I posted in the wrong section =(

i ride a titanium road frame, i chosed it because they are supposed to have a long life ! so far im very happy, you also get top components, i think its a good choice, if you can afford it, you can use a MTB in a metropole, why not, just be sure to buy a good lock and park it in proper places to avoid thiefs,

Choose the most suitable for your bike, as far as possible in appearance to meet your requirements./img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

To start, I understand the want to buy a nice bike - I bought a bike a little above the range that I really deserve/need. I'm not trying to influence your decision because your are a "beginner," but more expensive components don't necessarily translate to better durability. However, the bike you found is a crazily good deal and I would highly recommend getting it if you like it and plan to make an investment.

hello I think carbon bike is much better than titanium because of its light weight and high quality.Maybe you can consider a carbon bike.

Originally Posted by ginachen .

hello I think carbon bike is much better than titanium because of its light weight and high quality.Maybe you can consider a carbon bike.
I would think with the real possibility of dumping on a trail, and the real possibility of hard and/or sharp objects impacting the frame, CF would be the last material I would want for a mountain bike. But don't let that stop you, manufactures seem to be pumping them out now full blast in ernest. Still, unless you have a sponsor who is willing to replace the frame when afformentioned dumping occurs. one may want to consider one of the more robust materials as it relates to impact resistance.