What bike should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

S A K

Last year my beloved Specialized Hardrock had its wheels and saddle stolen. I've finally got the
insurence money (£200) but I dont know what to do with it. I turn to you for help.

I could replace the stolen wheels on my Specialized frame with some neat Mavics with Specialized
Crossroad Ex's (what I had before). That would be good but the hassle in getting the thing working
again (what with having to change the chain and shoping around isnt appealing. And the steel frame
aint fantastic.

Or I could get a bike for approx £250. My main use is road, but I venture off sometimes (hence the
Crossroad tyres). I want rigid forks preferably. One bike I had in mind was the Ridgeback Cyclone-
its a hybrid with 26" road tyres, but I am worried how it would take going on the bumpy stuff.

Could get another Specialized Hardrock I suppose, but... there doesnt seem to be much
point. Opinions?

Thanks

Shakir

[email protected] (s a k) wrote
> Last year my beloved Specialized Hardrock had its wheels and saddle stolen. I've finally got the
> insurence money (£200) but I dont know what to do with it. I turn to you for help.
>
> I could replace the stolen wheels on my Specialized frame with some neat Mavics with Specialized
> Crossroad Ex's (what I had before). That would be good but the hassle in getting the thing working
> again (what with having to change the chain and shoping around isnt appealing. And the steel frame
> aint fantastic.

Actually the steel frame on a Specialized Hardrock is pretty good! Personally, I think you should
spend the insurance money on replacing the wheels and chain and saddle. I wouldn't bother with the
neat Mavic wheels. I'd get something simple but good, like Mavic X618 rims, double butted stainless
steel spokes (32 per wheel) and Shimano Deore LX hubs. This would probably cost less than the fancy
Mavic wheelset, and as long as built by a good wheelbuilder would be at elast as good, and easier to
fix if a spoke breaks, etc.

-Myra

Status
Not open for further replies.