What BONES have you BROKE while RIDIN' ?

fractured my right leg in kindergarten by taking a turn into my friend's blacktop driveway too fast--bike slid out from under me and leg got bent under the framework. my mom ran over after i started screaming and carried me home. she thought it was a bruise and i was over-reacting even though i kept telling her it was broken, so i sat around for an hour, screaming my head off. she put me in the garage because i was so noisy. she calls my dad...he comes home from a golf game...looks at my leg...tells me to stop being a baby...goes back to the golf course. one hour after the spill, she finally takes me to the urgent care center. they x-ray...confirm fracture...wrap it up tight...mom drives me to the hospital. doctor/family-friend does the cast...has to set the leg...it hurts...i punch him...he finishes...i come home. the next day, mom makes me write an apology note. i write it and say something like "dear dr. sadamii, i'm sorry i punched you in the back. but my leg really hurt....." was in a full leg cast for about 6 weeks, then got a smaller local cast on the fracture for another few weeks, and got the cast off on the last day of kindergarten.

in about third grade (i think), i was riding really fast again, took a corner, didn't see the pothole, flew over the handlebars, landing on my right arm, mess up something in there. this time my parents aren't taking any chances. we go to the urgent care center...x-ray...nothing broken, just a very very bad sprain. had to have a sling and splint for a couple weeks.

keeping my fingers crossed--don't really feel like being roadkill :rolleyes:

hehehe - I just (2 weeks ago) broke my left hip - intertrochanteric fracture, now have a plate and a pin - which gives me balance: it balances out the plate in my right ankle and the three plates in my face (all sustained in a car accident 6 years ago)!

Must say, though, that Pethedine vs. Morphine is like Chalk vs. Cheese.... Morphine is the real deal.... Just a ***** getting off of the stuff........

And the nurses are a devious bloody lot - the moment you ASK for Morphine, they switch you to Pethedine...

Ah well, another 3 weeks and I'm down to 1 crutch, and another 3 after that I'll be riding again.

, and another 3 after that I'll be riding again.

That suck's were you hit by a car,:mad:

Originally posted by DarrylZ
, and another 3 after that I'll be riding again.

That suck's were you hit by a car,:mad:

You ain't gonna believe this!!!!! My wife has just started cycling, so I booked her on the Beginner's course at Cycle Lab. She was stressing about going on the course, so I figured what the hell, and decided to do the course with her. Who knows, I could learn a hell of a lot, especially as all my cycling was self-taught trial and error kind of stuff, albeit nearly 30 years worth....

Anyway, so we sat through the lectures (picked up some really good stuff), and then they split us into 3 groups for practical. I was really enjoying it, riding round the 'track' (no cars), chatting to Kim Carter (pro cyclist), when I went through a puddle which happened to have a bit of slime at the bottom. Next thing I knew I was ****-facius on the ground with a broken hip.

Out of everybody on that course (lecturers excluded, of course), I probably had the most experience (commuting, etc.) and I was the only one to wipe out. I will probably never know exactly WHY I fell, but at least 70% of the problem was MTB tyres on tar - I was still waiting for my spare rims to be fitted with slicks... I have them now - fat lot of good they're doing staring at me while I write this.... hehe

Andrew McLean and everybody else at Cycle Lab were absolutely superb - within 10 minutes I was in an ambulance on my way to hospital, and Andrew even came to visit me in hospital the next day.

All in all, though, quite embarassing for me.... ((blush))

Full marks to Cycle Lab and especially Andrew - totally professional and top-notch. It's when something like this happens that you appreciate the value of trained professionals who know how to react in an emergency.

Left collarbone c/o car when I was 16. Right collarbone 30+ own stupid fault. Yesterday was my first day out of the sling, might even get to ride my bike again today, first time in three weeks!

till

OK, let's see...

1986 - right clavicle, right scapula, 2 ribs
1987 - 3 ribs
1988 - 1 rib, left scapula (and a concussion)
1990 - right scapula

Al bones were broken racing...

Trsnrtr said:
OK, let's see...

1986 - right clavicle, right scapula, 2 ribs
1987 - 3 ribs
1988 - 1 rib, left scapula (and a concussion)
1990 - right scapula

Al bones were broken racing...
Tibia broken all the way through and fibula broken all the way through in two places, on March 29, 2004.

I broke my left wrist and right collar bone on the same fall. I put on new brake levers on my montain bike. The reach was a little longer than before, I went to grab brakes got nothing but air :eek: and bang i did a half flip. Luckily I wore a helmet as there was a very larg dent from a rock. :eek:

cydewaze said:
4th metacarpal (in the hand).
Also know as the "dumbass" fracture: What you get when you punch someone.
How did you get that while riding??

I almost broke my pelvis a couple of weeks ago when my bike slipped into a tram track and sent me down to fall right on my ****. No tumble, no flailing arms or legs, just BANG.

I've only been able to ride properly again from mid last week :(

origanic said:
What have you all broken, bruised or hurt while ridin' ?

A couple of fingers, nose (twice), ankle and the tail-bone wrap up the "fractures" on an mtb. The "worst" damage I've done is/was destroying my right shoulder (twice in a 9 month time frame) which required (both times) reconstructions (AC, CC "joints" + a SLAP repair and some cartiledge "cleani-up" on the first one). Out of all of them though, the tail-bone hurt the most and for the longest time. Anyway, I'm sure that's all behind me (or so I hope since I'm over 30 now and I hear the healing process slows down from here).

Ride on...

K...

Jeez, I don't think I'm going to ride with any of you folks anytime soon. :p

I've had a compound fracture tibula fibula, from being hit by a car. Broken collar bone from playing touch football. and fractured fingers from the martial arts.

jaw, collarbone and leg in one go.

had to pick me bike up and walk 2kms to home, with broken jaw (unable to move my head), broken collarbone (extremely difficult to carry a bike) and broken leg (not too easy to walk 2kms with).
got home and mum saw me and passed out.
i threw up with the shock and in doing so broke my jaw in another 2 places.
lucky i was 10yrs old and tough!!

Okay Here Goes In Order
Thumb. So Badly Broken In Crash My Arm And Hand Put In Cast For 3 Months.
Broken Collar Bone

Skull Fracture

Wrist

Index Finger

Pelvis And Hip Dislocation

And Last September No Break But Huge Concussion 2 Weeks Off Work.
It's A Tough Business Bicycle Racing

bear72 said:
Okay Here Goes In Order
Thumb. So Badly Broken In Crash My Arm And Hand Put In Cast For 3 Months.
Broken Collar Bone

Skull Fracture

Wrist

Index Finger

Pelvis And Hip Dislocation

And Last September No Break But Huge Concussion 2 Weeks Off Work.
It's A Tough Business Bicycle Racing
broke left wrist in two places in winter 00-01. My Wife told me not to go out riding in the snow !! Pretty painful, 9 weeks off work 13 weeks off the bike

Bones weren't the worst of it, but when my bike and I did a flip (and a crash - http://denise2004crash.crazyguyonabike.com) on the way to work one day last May, I did break a few bones. The broken bones included my skull, facial bones around one eye, a couple of ribs, and an inferior ramus fracture of my pelvis. And yes, I absolutely was wearing my helmet. In fact, I was told by all of my docs that I would not have survived without it.

ALAN 1130 said:
broke left wrist in two places in winter 00-01. My Wife told me not to go out riding in the snow !! Pretty painful, 9 weeks off work 13 weeks off the bike
what do you do that you cannot do for 9 weeks with a broken wrist?

I broke a few ribs one time, then a few years later I broke my collar bone and a few more ribs. I Just had a titanium rod and 7 long stainless steel screws put in my collar bone last week.