What bottom bracket for superbe pro cranks?

The Mess

Guest
Am in the process of building up an 80's Colnago Master frame with superbe
pro bits that I have accumulated, but do not have the superbe pro (italian)
bottom bracket. Can anyone assist with what modern bottom bracket would be
a good replacement (and compatible with the superbe pro cranks)?

Thanks

Pretty much any square taper BB that's the proper size for the shell
will work fine, afaik. You should be able to use anything from Nashbar
house brand to Phil Wood, as long as the width and threading is
correct. My vintage Suntour cranks are mated with a Campy spindle and
press-fit bearings and don't complain.

Sounds magnificent, I always wanted a Superbe equipped bike when I was
a teen in the eighties. You'll have to post pictures when you're done
so we can have a velo lust fest. :-D

The Mess wrote:
> Am in the process of building up an 80's Colnago Master frame with superbe
> pro bits that I have accumulated, but do not have the superbe pro (italian)
> bottom bracket. Can anyone assist with what modern bottom bracket would be
> a good replacement (and compatible with the superbe pro cranks)?
>
> Thanks

Campag in 111mm...New Superbe Pro called for a ISO taper, and 110mm in
length. Not 'just about any BB" as others have mentioned.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> The Mess wrote:
> > Am in the process of building up an 80's Colnago Master frame with superbe
> > pro bits that I have accumulated, but do not have the superbe pro (italian)
> > bottom bracket. Can anyone assist with what modern bottom bracket would be
> > a good replacement (and compatible with the superbe pro cranks)?
> >
> > Thanks

> Campag in 111mm...New Superbe Pro called for a ISO taper, and 110mm in
> length. Not 'just about any BB" as others have mentioned.

You can call me by name, instead of using a smug little pronoun. I've
got the same Superbe Pro cranks here running on a a 120mm spindle,
perhaps I should call the fire department as it's dangerous or
something.

landotter wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > The Mess wrote:
> > > Am in the process of building up an 80's Colnago Master frame with superbe
> > > pro bits that I have accumulated, but do not have the superbe pro (italian)
> > > bottom bracket. Can anyone assist with what modern bottom bracket would be
> > > a good replacement (and compatible with the superbe pro cranks)?
> > >
> > > Thanks

> > Campag in 111mm...New Superbe Pro called for a ISO taper, and 110mm in
> > length. Not 'just about any BB" as others have mentioned.

> You can call me by name, instead of using a smug little pronoun. I've
> got the same Superbe Pro cranks here running on a a 120mm spindle,
> perhaps I should call the fire department as it's dangerous or
> something.

Not dangerous, but the how's the chainline? If you're running a C&C BB,
getting a shorter spindle and installing it at the next BB service
might make some sense (since you'll have the thing apart anyway).

Those are beautiful cranks, BTW.

> > You can call me by name, instead of using a smug little pronoun. I've
> > got the same Superbe Pro cranks here running on a a 120mm spindle,
> > perhaps I should call the fire department as it's dangerous or
> > something.

> Not dangerous, but the how's the chainline? If you're running a C&C BB,
> getting a shorter spindle and installing it at the next BB service
> might make some sense (since you'll have the thing apart anyway).

Surely that depends on the rest of the drivetrain, spindle lengths
aren't fixed in stone. I have an older set of Superbes on one of my
bikes, too, running a longer-than-spec spindle because I'm not using
them with a 5-speed freewheel. To get a good chainline, I need to put
the crank a bit further from the center line of the frame than Suntour
intended when it specified the BB length.

On the other hand, my touring bike's XC Pro triple crank is on a shorter
than spec spindle, since I'm most concerned about the chainline for the
two outer rings. The granny ring is rarely used, only for very steep
climbs with heavy loads, so it only really needs to line up with the
larger end of the cassette anyway. So I use a spindle that gives me a
good chainline as a double crank, with the granny well inboard of what
the specs suggest.

--
[email protected] is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

landotter wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > The Mess wrote:
> > > Am in the process of building up an 80's Colnago Master frame with superbe
> > > pro bits that I have accumulated, but do not have the superbe pro (italian)
> > > bottom bracket. Can anyone assist with what modern bottom bracket would be
> > > a good replacement (and compatible with the superbe pro cranks)?
> > >
> > > Thanks

> > Campag in 111mm...New Superbe Pro called for a ISO taper, and 110mm in
> > length. Not 'just about any BB" as others have mentioned.

> You can call me by name, instead of using a smug little pronoun. I've
> got the same Superbe Pro cranks here running on a a 120mm spindle,
> perhaps I should call the fire department as it's dangerous or
> something.

Can anyone assist with what modern bottom bracket would be
> > > a good replacement (and compatible with the superbe pro cranks)?

And I answered his question. Yep, you can cram any crank onto any BB
spindle but there is a 'garage' way to do this bike stuff, and a
correct way to do it. Your name is Mr. Landotter?