What burns more calories stationary-bicycling or walking?

worldgod

Dec 20, 2003

Hello all: I would like to know what burns more calories per hour. Stationary-bicycling or moderate, fast walking. Because according to most calories-burned calculators bicycling burns more calories than walking per hour. However some people state that walking burns more because walking is standing up, and bikeriding is sitting down. I would like to know your comments on which type of activity is better for weight-loss.

Here are a couple of calories-burned calculators which state that bikeriding burns a lot more than walking:

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/tl/misc/caloriesburned.jsp

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

worldgod

worldgod said:

Hello all: I would like to know what burns more calories per hour. Stationary-bicycling or moderate, fast walking. Because according to most calories-burned calculators bicycling burns more calories than walking per hour. However some people state that walking burns more because walking is standing up, and bikeriding is sitting down. I would like to know your comments on which type of activity is better for weight-loss.

Here are a couple of calories-burned calculators which state that bikeriding burns a lot more than walking:

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/tl/misc/caloriesburned.jsp

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

worldgod

It really depends upon the intensity of the exercise and the duration of the exercise. Since these are two different exercises, it is impossible for anything to be equal except for the duration. But overall, riding will probably burn more calories than walking. Of course there are some considerations to take into account. Walking will probably burn more calories than riding if someone is extremely heavy. Hiking up the side of a mountain will probably burn more calories than riding. Also, walking is benificial as you increase your core strength because you have to shift your weight to maintain your balance. However, bicycling is benificial as it is generally a low impact exercise(except if you crash) which helps your knees, ankles, and hips. Each exercise has its good points and its bad points, and really cannot be judged solely upon which one burns more calories.

You know what, I really can't walk until I throw up (except up a steep hill as above). But two hard 20 min MMP intervals on the trainer, and I'm thinking about a bucket.

Frivolity aside, there is absolutely no comparison.

Hi, well i've aways thought that bicycling burns a lot more calories than walking indeed. According to most calorie-burned charts 60 minutes of stationary-bicycling burns between 500 to 600 calories. While 60 minutes of walking burns between 350 and 450 calories, but you are right. Walking is beneficial since it is a complete exercise, but it burns less probably because bicycling requires more strength use

worldgod

kdelong said:
It really depends upon the intensity of the exercise and the duration of the exercise. Since these are two different exercises, it is impossible for anything to be equal except for the duration. But overall, riding will probably burn more calories than walking. Of course there are some considerations to take into account. Walking will probably burn more calories than riding if someone is extremely heavy. Hiking up the side of a mountain will probably burn more calories than riding. Also, walking is benificial as you increase your core strength because you have to shift your weight to maintain your balance. However, bicycling is benificial as it is generally a low impact exercise(except if you crash) which helps your knees, ankles, and hips. Each exercise has its good points and its bad points, and really cannot be judged solely upon which one burns more calories.

I can hold 315W on a bicycle for one hour. In this time, I do 315 x 60 x 60 / 4200 = 270 calories of work. Assuming a conversion efficiency of 0.25 (probably lower than this at FTP), this means that I burn a minimum of 1080 calories. Compare that with your 450 calories per hour for walking.

(Crikey, these non-SI units are silly. I just learned that 1 calorie = 1000 calories. Yes, it is true. No, really. This is not a typo.)

There's no comparison! You can get your heart rate up as high as you want on a stationary bike, but walking.....pffft! One time, I suspected my HR was going up a bit when I was walking my dog, so I wore my HR monitor one night, and my HR didn't go over about 90 to 100 ( I think. It was something around there), and it was a warm night.

Indeed, even though walking is standing up, i guess it doesn't burn so much like bikeriding. That's because when you walk you don't have to use so much force, so much resistance, compared with bikeriding which requires more muscular force in the legs

worldgod

531Aussie said:
There's no comparison! You can get your heart rate up as high as you want on a stationary bike, but walking.....pffft! One time, I suspected my HR was going up a bit when I was walking my dog, so I wore my HR monitor one night, and my HR didn't go over about 90 to 100 ( I think. It was something around there), and it was a warm night.