What can I do with these wheels?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Francisco Sanch, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    about 10 years ago a wanted to have a superlight set of wheels for my road bike so I bought:

    - 32 holes carbon/aluminium hubs
    - Shimano 8s freehub
    - Mavic Gel 280 tubular rims
    - 64 DT 2/1'8 spokes
    - 64 aluminium nipples
    - Boro Teknik aluminium 8s cassette
    - Vittoria Freedom tubulars

    They were really light: 665gr / 1005gr without quick release skewers or tubulars. I must also say
    they were also really expensive (about 600 euros).

    But the shop where I bought them didn't tell me the hubs were really MTB hubs (135mm for the rear
    hub), so I couldn't easily mount them in my aluminium frame (130mm opening).

    So I ended having a pair of expensive wheels with no use to me. They only have about 1000km and I
    would like to do something with them.

    What can I do?

    1- Sell them. But who wants tubular road wheels with a rear 135mm hub. 2- Sell them as separate
    components. But the freehub body is for road Shimano 8s. Is it compatible with Shimano MTB
    cassettes 8s or 9s? 3- Is it possible to convert a 135mm hub to a 130mm hub? In that case I could
    use them myself.

    I'd be happy to recover at least 30% of my initial investment so if you have any recommendations I'd
    be grateful.

    Regards, Francisco Sanchez [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Francisco Sanchez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > about 10 years ago a wanted to have a superlight set of wheels for my road bike so I bought:
    >
    > - 32 holes carbon/aluminium hubs
    > - Shimano 8s freehub
    > - Mavic Gel 280 tubular rims
    > - 64 DT 2/1'8 spokes
    > - 64 aluminium nipples
    > - Boro Teknik aluminium 8s cassette
    > - Vittoria Freedom tubulars
    >
    > They were really light: 665gr / 1005gr without quick release skewers or tubulars. I must also say
    > they were also really expensive (about 600 euros).
    >
    > But the shop where I bought them didn't tell me the hubs were really MTB hubs (135mm for the rear
    > hub), so I couldn't easily mount them in my aluminium frame (130mm opening).
    >
    > So I ended having a pair of expensive wheels with no use to me. They only have about 1000km and I
    > would like to do something with them.
    >
    > What can I do?
    >
    > 1- Sell them. But who wants tubular road wheels with a rear 135mm hub. 2- Sell them as separate
    > components. But the freehub body is for road Shimano 8s. Is it compatible with Shimano MTB
    > cassettes 8s or 9s? 3- Is it possible to convert a 135mm hub to a 130mm hub? In that case I could
    > use them myself.
    >
    > I'd be happy to recover at least 30% of my initial investment so if you have any recommendations
    > I'd be grateful.
    >
    > Regards, Francisco Sanchez [email protected]

    Actually, just remove a 5mm spacer and re-dish the rear wheel. End of problem.

    Mike

    >about 10 years ago a wanted to have a superlight set of wheels for my road bike so I bought:
    > - 32 holes carbon/aluminium hubs
    > - Shimano 8s freehub
    > - Mavic Gel 280 tubular rims
    > - 64 DT 2/1'8 spokes
    > - 64 aluminium nipples
    > - Boro Teknik aluminium 8s cassette
    > - Vittoria Freedom tubulars They were really light: 665gr / 1005gr without quick release skewers
    > or tubulars. I must also say they were also really expensive (about 600 euros). But the shop
    > where I bought them didn't tell me the hubs were really MTB hubs (135mm for the rear hub), so I
    > couldn't easily mount them in my aluminium frame (130mm opening). So I ended having a pair of
    > expensive wheels with no use to me. They only have about 1000km and I would like to do
    > something with them. What can I do? 1- Sell them. But who wants tubular road wheels with a rear
    > 135mm hub. 2- Sell them as separate components. But the freehub body is for road Shimano 8s. Is
    > it compatible with Shimano MTB cassettes 8s or 9s? 3- Is it possible to convert a 135mm hub to
    > a 130mm hub? In that case I could use them myself. I'd be happy to recover at least 30% of my
    > initial investment so if you have any recommendations I'd be grateful.

    First thing is to never go back to that shop. They should have known better than to sell you a MTB
    hub set on those wheels. Then you can swap out the axle and a spacer to make them 130 mm hubs.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > > Actually, just remove a 5mm spacer and re-dish the rear wheel. End of problem.
    >
    > Is it that easy? I'm right now slapping myself. I hope the hub really has a 5mm spacer. From which
    > side should I remove it?
    >
    > Regards, Francisco Sanchez [email protected] http://www.billeniumsoft.com

    Non-drive.

    Mike

  5. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > > a 5mm spacer. From which side should I remove it?

    > Non-drive.

    Are you sure? I thought it would make more sense to remove it from the drive side to decrease dish.

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > Actually, just remove a 5mm spacer and re-dish the rear wheel. End of problem.
    > >
    > > Is it that easy? I'm right now slapping myself. I hope the hub really has a 5mm spacer. From
    > > which side should I remove it?
    > >
    > > Regards, Francisco Sanchez [email protected] http://www.billeniumsoft.com
    >
    > Non-drive.
    >
    > Mike

  6. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    Francisco Sanchez <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > 1- Sell them. But who wants tubular road wheels with a rear 135mm hub.

    Some frames come with 132.5 mm spacing these days so that they can work with either 135 or 130 mm
    spaced hubs. Rivendell stock frames (Romulus, Atlantis, etc.), and the SOMA frames come to mind.
    Perhaps someone with a bike built on these frames would want a set of custom tubular wheels.

    > 2- Sell them as separate components. But the freehub body is for road Shimano 8s. Is it compatible
    > with Shimano MTB cassettes 8s or 9s?

    Yes. Shimano 8 and 9 spd cassettes are the same width.

    > 3- Is it possible to convert a 135mm hub to a 130mm hub? In that case I could use them myself.

    Don't think so. You can respace a frame, if it is steel ;-)

    - rick warner

  7. On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 12:14:37 -0700, "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Francisco Sanchez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...

    >> 1- Sell them. But who wants tubular road wheels with a rear 135mm hub. 2- Sell them as separate
    >> components. But the freehub body is for road Shimano 8s. Is it compatible with Shimano MTB
    >> cassettes 8s or 9s? 3- Is it possible to convert a 135mm hub to a 130mm hub? In that case I could
    >> use them myself.

    >Actually, just remove a 5mm spacer and re-dish the rear wheel. End of problem.

    And yes, Shimano road 8/9 and MTB 8/9 freehub bodies are all the same specs. I can't help but admire
    them for having at least that much standardisation..

    Jasper

  8. Hi,

    thank you all for your answers. You are really helpful.

    I just have one more question: I would like to switch from Shimano 8s to Campagnolo 9s or 10s.
    Would it be possible to swap the freehub from the rear hub to use one of these? After all, the hub
    was bought without any freehub at all, but I think the space needed by the new freehub could be
    wider. In that case, I suppose the hub will only be compatible with Shimano 8s/9s and Campagnolo
    8s, isn't it?

    Regards, Francisco Sanchez [email protected]

  9. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:53:28 +0200, Francisco Sanchez <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I just have one more question: I would like to switch from Shimano 8s to Campagnolo 9s or 10s.
    >Would it be possible to swap the freehub from the rear hub to use one of these? After all, the hub
    >was bought without any freehub at all, but I think the space needed by the new freehub could be
    >wider. In that case, I suppose the hub will only be compatible with Shimano 8s/9s and Campagnolo
    >8s, isn't it?

    You can use a Shimano 9sp cassette fine with either Campy 9 or 10 shifters and rear derailleur.

  10. Francisco Sanchez <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > about 10 years ago a wanted to have a superlight set of wheels for my road bike so I bought:
    >
    > - 32 holes carbon/aluminium hubs
    > - Shimano 8s freehub
    > - Mavic Gel 280 tubular rims
    > - 64 DT 2/1'8 spokes
    > - 64 aluminium nipples
    > - Boro Teknik aluminium 8s cassette
    > - Vittoria Freedom tubulars
    >
    > They were really light: 665gr / 1005gr without quick release skewers or tubulars. I must also say
    > they were also really expensive (about 600 euros).
    >
    > But the shop where I bought them didn't tell me the hubs were really MTB hubs (135mm for the rear
    > hub), so I couldn't easily mount them in my aluminium frame (130mm opening).
    >
    > So I ended having a pair of expensive wheels with no use to me. They only have about 1000km and I
    > would like to do something with them.
    >
    > What can I do?
    >
    > 1- Sell them. But who wants tubular road wheels with a rear 135mm hub. 2- Sell them as separate
    > components. But the freehub body is for road Shimano 8s. Is it compatible with Shimano MTB
    > cassettes 8s or 9s? 3- Is it possible to convert a 135mm hub to a 130mm hub? In that case I could
    > use them myself.
    >
    > I'd be happy to recover at least 30% of my initial investment so if you have any recommendations
    > I'd be grateful.
    >
    > Regards, Francisco Sanchez [email protected]

    Just one more thing, you may need to trim the axle. After removing the spacer and re-dishing the
    wheel, you will probably have too much axle protruding on the left side for the QR to lock properly.
    A hack saw or a Dremmel tool with cutoff wheel works fine for this job. Just protect the bearings
    from the cuttings or grinding dust.

    After all is done, it will work perfectly well.

    Steve Shapiro [email protected]