what can I expect at a cycle club?

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by jgrace, Jun 28, 2004.

1. jgrace

jgrace New Member

Hi! I'm new to road cycling but would love to work my way up to some (amateur) races in 12 months. My local town has no womens teams, but a few girls and I are interested in maybe training/racing/forming a team :)
    We've started riding 90mins a day, and have found out there's actually a cycling club in town. It's all men, and I'm a little intimidated!
    What's an entry skill level - and what's an entry level bike?
    We can all handle 90mins at about 25kms an hour.
    I bought a GT Z3.0 but really don't know much about the technical sides of bikes other than 'it's comfortable to ride' :)
    Is this an acceptable starter bike?
    It's a fairly professional cycle club, with a lot of 'juniors' doing well - I guess I feel a bit silly going in as a grown woman and being absolutely clueless!
    anyway, this looks like a really interesting group - so HI everyone!

Tags:

2. jgrace

jgrace New Member

oops, I should say 25kms/h is our average speed - not the most we can handle :)

3. Geonz

Geonz New Member

You might find out when they ride and just sort of happen to do your own ride around the same time and place so you can scope out their riding.
    In these parts, all male groups tend to be more testosterone driven. Our fastest group tends to average 19 or 20 mph -- but we've got other groups that tool along at 16-18.

4. Sleektabby

Sleektabby New Member

Since you have a couple of gals that want to race already why don't you all go to the men's team en masse and make a women's team in their club. They might be thrilled and you also might get some help from them in racing/training. At least the cycle guys here in the States go nutty over women cyclists since there are so few of us!

Good luck! ;) Keep us posted!