What can i expect to pay for a nice bicycle?

Rollin'Rose

May 7, 2016
I'm really geared up, pun intended, to start cycling. As a beginner, I'd like a quality starter bicycle, if that's a thing. I've been looking online, and there's many an option. What can I expect to pay for a nice bicycle, $200-$300? I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, basic, but quality will do. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Hello, some people on this forum give good advice and are happy to do so. You haven't given enough information to get a worth answer. "Nice bike" is such a subjective term, for some, that means $4,000 bucks, for others, $200.

Here are some questions for you:

What will be the primary use for the bike? Casual strolls, long rides, fast riding?

What type of bike do you intend on getting? A Road bike, Mountain bike, Hybrid, Cruiser,etc....?

If you want a quality Road bike,200-300 isn't going to be enough. You can probably find one for that price, but it may not last you very long. Your looking at 600-700 for a bare bones entry level road bike. If thats the route you want to take, look into buying a used one from a reputable bike shop.

200-300 isn't quite enough for a quality new Mountain Bike either. 400-500 seems like the price for entry level Mountain Bikes. Again, try to buy used from a shop.

If you're looking for a bike to do casual low mileage strolls, 200-300 is a reasonable amount. Look at what your shop has to offer. Whatever you do, don't get a department store bike. These bikes aren't made to last and are put together by unqualified people for the most part. I wouldn't want to put bet myeline on one of these.

Hello, some people on this forum give good advice and are happy to do so. You haven't given enough information to get a worth answer. "Nice bike" is such a subjective term, for some, that means $4,000 bucks, for others, $200.

Here are some questions for you:

What will be the primary use for the bike? Casual strolls, long rides, fast riding?

What type of bike do you intend on getting? A Road bike, Mountain bike, Hybrid, Cruiser,etc....?

What is the most you'd spend? Is 300 your limit?

Do you anticipate getting a lot of use out of this bike?

If you want a quality Road bike,200-300 isn't going to be enough. You can probably find one for that price, but it may not last you very long. Your looking at 600-700 for a bare bones entry level road bike. If thats the route you want to take, look into buying a used one from a reputable bike shop.

200-300 isn't quite enough for a quality new Mountain Bike either. 400-500 seems like the price for entry level Mountain Bikes. Again, try to buy used from a shop.

If you're looking for a bike to do casual low mileage strolls, 200-300 is a reasonable amount. Look at what your shop has to offer. Whatever you do, don't get a department store bike. These bikes aren't made to last and are put together by unqualified people for the most part. I wouldn't want to put bet myeline on one of these.

If this is your first bike and you're a beginner then I would not buy anything new at your price range because they're all junk. Sorry to say that. I think you should seriously consider buying used, with a used bike you could buy a barely ridden 10 to 30 year old bike that is in excellent condition that was an expensive bike in it's day with mid to high end components for right around the price you want to pay. Those older components were much more durable than even todays mid to high end components, and they're easier to work on, plus parts are still available for most if not all of them.

I don't know where you live but Craigslist has quite a few bikes that pop up, but you do have know what size of bike you need and you have to know what is a good bike and what isn't, this is where a friend who knows a lot about bikes would be useful, and or post a Craigslist listing here and we can help you.

I am a new member of this forum and I don't even have a bike yet. I have obtained a summer job so that will help me financially to be able to buy a bike. If you are only a beginner and even your first bike I would say just look for second hand bikes. Once you find the right bike and the right seller, you can find a good and nice looking bike at the price range you gave. It really is not worth the money to spend a tonne of money on your first bike. You want to aim for a good but relatively cheap bike to get the feel for biking. I double on what Froze said and also what Uawadall asked. To properly answer this question we need to know more details. Although I don't expect my advice to be too helpful because I am only a beginner. If I was you I wouldn't go for a brand new bike at that price, it certainly would not last long! I will be looking for a road bike or a road racing bike, I don't know yet. Did you look around in any bike stores around. You could ask them questions also. They might even sell second hand bikes at a good price, you would never know until you check. Maybe try and answer those questions Uawadall asked you and I might be able to give you more advice.

As a beginner I would recommend getting a hardtail with yor price range. There are good options from well known brands like Specialized and Cannondale and GT among others of course. With a hardtail it's a matter of sizing, making sure the bike fits you well. Afterwards, It's all about the parts really.

Sad to say Froze has a point, it that price range most bikes are close junk but you can still find hardtails with good the usual specs around that price. Full suspension, none.