What can spandex do for me?

less'go

Sep 11, 2003
Quick question: I've never owned spandex cycling shorts. Exactly why, other than comfort, is it beneficial to wear them? Does the wearing of said item do anything in terms of "fitness"?

I know it seems like a strange thing to ask, but it seems I read in a post somewhere that there are workout benefits to wearing spandex duds (as opposed to cotton)...

S

Originally posted by less'go
Quick question: I've never owned spandex cycling shorts. Exactly why, other than comfort, is it beneficial to wear them? Does the wearing of said item do anything in terms of "fitness"?

I know it seems like a strange thing to ask, but it seems I read in a post somewhere that there are workout benefits to wearing spandex duds (as opposed to cotton)...

S

Not much love, you're gorgeous as you are . . .:D

S

Less,

Please tell me it isnt so! Why spandex? (besides the fact you can get them in shiny neon-stop traffic-i am going blind- colors?) Spandex being made from lycra/ployester wcks moisture away from the skin instead of trapping it (cottons fibers absorb and expand which can make for some nasty little bacteriral infections) and will make you COOLER! Also, the nifty little acrylic fibers will compress your leg muscles (lasting longer than cotten), giving them a little support here and there...if you have ever pulled a muscle (especially a quad) you know what I am talking about. Other than that, hell, I cant think of any other reason why it would be advantageous. However, that is certainly enough to convince me. If you look at ANY techinical clothing (mountaineering, rowing, even baseball undershirts) are all made of non-cotton synthetics. The proof is in the pudding..or in this case, the neon.

ride hard
erin

Just to add to what ejglows said - lycra also makes for less chance of getting hung up on the saddle when transitioning from sitting to standing and vice versa...

Okay, thanks for the input. I am considering investing in a nice pair for when I just go out to ride for the fun, as opposed to commuting (I just wear street clothes + running shoes). I thought I read something about it being important for muscle tone, but I can not put my finger back on that post.

I'll keep you all posted on my choice of shorts. I'm thinking black and simple, but maybe I should go for a lighter color. No team logos, though, I'd get laughed off the street with my bike!

Ej you going mountain climbing again anytime soon?

Oh, go for it Less'go - become a gay Parisian! If I hear of a pile up in traffic there I will know who is responsible!

They are also very comfortable when you are riding for a long time, unlike cotton that sticks when you sweat and you have to rearrange stuff (well you still have to rearrange now and again - yes, guys we doooooooo)! They more or less stay in place as well which is nice - oh, and they make your bum look cute as well - not that it probably isn't cute out of spandex. I go for dark colours just cos when you sweat you can see where ya sweating and unless you have no meat on ya rump (guys don't seam to) it shows every nook, cranny, hummm yep, you get the jist!

Oh, go for it!

Remember folks spandex is a privilege NOT a right! Unless of course your Less'goooooooooooooo!

Afternoon Sara

Got some emails from Aussie flash; but, cannot open the pics - I am dying with all this suspense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you manage to get them and if so - how the hell did you open them up. I have noticed attachments from work etc are not behaving .. government computers psssssssssssssssssst!

How was your w/e? The weather here is improving a great deal so I actually got out on Sunday. It wasn't so good on Saturday as in heat; but, I had to go sign my lil girl up for college .. waaaaaaaaaaa she is just getting so big. Then we had to make a mad dash home and get her hair all dolled up for Prom - she looked so cute or should I sexy and beautiful! Damm! The evening I spent with my sister and her 26 year old - hum hum, yes she is over 40 and doing, oops I mean having a relationship with a youngster! She just says she is going to have happiness while it lasts! My ride was great. A girlfriend and I went painting the town all day with our lil speedsters. We were up and down hills, burning up the tarmac and it was brilliant - stopped at Starbucks for coffee and people watch and then home.

You? I am now on my count down to going to London and Spain to visit my mum - I am so excited I can hardly contain myself.

S

Ask not what your Lycra can do for you, just think what it can do for the rest of us. Of course its not for everyone. Some people should be arrested for just owning it. Its like give a loaded gun to a child. Dangerous!! Present company accepted of course.

PS we will expect photo as soon as available. :cool:

Okay, thanks for the input. I am considering investing in a nice pair for when I just go out to ride for the fun, as opposed to commuting (I just wear street clothes + running shoes). I thought I read something about it being important for muscle tone, but I can not put my finger back on that post.

I'll keep you all posted on my choice of shorts. I'm thinking black and simple, but maybe I should go for a lighter color. No team logos, though, I'd get laughed off the street with my bike!

Ej you going mountain climbing again anytime soon?

Sadly, the ropes were too heavy to bring on the plane here! I did finally find some boulders to sate my appetite. I am planning a sea level to peak ascent of Fuji! I will start at my beach, ride to the base of Fuji-san, take a day to aclimatize, and then ascent in time for the morning sunrise!
Gotta keep myself busy...

oh, and lighter colors show sweat! Go Black...it also goes with everything...
erin

S
One good reason I havent heard mentioned is the added padding where it counts. Generally cycling shorts have some type of chamois in the crotch area to make longer rides more comfortable. This can be especially important when you spend more than an hour in the saddle.

Dan.

I'm going to add to this in case folks are reading this some day.

Bike shorts are important also because they don't have seams down the middle. As you might imagine, this could be problematic. So in addition to the wicking away of moisture, freedom of movement, padding (which is actually just to reduce chaffing, not so much like chair padding) there are no seams.

I think this sums it up.

less'go said:

S
Another reason to wear them is to make you more aero (ie, you go faster). Baggy shorts create more drag. It might not make a huge difference, but on a high speed downhill, I think it helps.

Don't forget about the chafing angle. On a long ride Lycra (please don't say Spandex :eek: ) won't chafe you the way baggy shorts can.

Yup- took every ounce of strength I had to go out in public with them (for some reason I cared what people said at that point), now I won't ride without them. No chafe, no saddle sores, cool and dry, and great muscle support. I can't ride my townie in shorts for more then about 3 miles cause I've become such a wus

Yeah, I bought my LYCRA shorts, and wore them under regular shorts, until it hit about 107 degrees here and it was just too dang hot for all those layers. Then I figured out that my cotton shirts were not good for the heat and purchased some bike jerseys. Now, even at 114 decrees I just keep on riding, and my bike shorts and shirt keep me cool, and if anyone cares, I quit caring a long time ago.

The other thing, I didn't buy that stuff until I could actually go a good speed. I figured, if I looked like a biker, but was slow, that was bad. So now I am reasonably fast, and I look like a biker. (No team jerseys though, I'm not that fast) :)

Oh yeah- you get bit by the bug. My first was the helmet (sigh...I'm gettin old) then came the jersey...the shorts were about a week behind. Then came the socks, the shoes, and the clip-in pedals. It definately was a sno-ball effect. For those who would make comments about the gear, I point to how masculine and overtly heterosexual a bunch of illiterates in tight pants chaising an oblong ball is. If that fails, I invite them on my regular ride, which they usually cannot attend, because they are watching men in tight pants chase eachother...usually shuts them right the hell up

Telegram Sam said:
Oh yeah- you get bit by the bug. My first was the helmet (sigh...I'm gettin old) then came the jersey...the shorts were about a week behind. Then came the socks, the shoes, and the clip-in pedals. It definately was a sno-ball effect. For those who would make comments about the gear, I point to how masculine and overtly heterosexual a bunch of illiterates in tight pants chaising an oblong ball is. If that fails, I invite them on my regular ride, which they usually cannot attend, because they are watching men in tight pants chase eachother...usually shuts them right the hell up
LOL - funny stuff

When you step back and think about what YOU think of people that dress like bike riders, you say to yourself, "There is a bike rider." You don't think, "Why do they wear that stupid oufit?" And the same goes for everyone else, they will look at you and it just fits. If you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt, they think you will look out of place.

Just a thought.

No it doesn't do anything fitness wise. Maybe it does something for your mind when you see how good you look. If that is the case. You might get some compliments that make you feel good. Other than this there is no benefit. Maybe it helps you keep your stomach in or something like that. Your skin is not going to breathe or function as well as it would if you were wearing loose clothes. This is actually a disadvantage.