What can we do about milk casein binding up zinc?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jan 4, 2006.

  1. From: USANA Knowledge <[email protected]> Mailed-By: usana.com

    To: Wang Heng Teck <[email protected]>
    Date: 28-Dec-2005 21:56
    Subject: RE: What can we do about milk casein binding up zinc?

    Wang:

    We appreciate your inquiry. I not really sure I understand your
    concern. Zinc bioavailability from milk is not the greatest, but this
    would only be of any concern if you were an infant subsisting solely on
    milk (and more particularly if you were drinking cow's milk only). If
    you are concerned about action of casein and zinc as it relates to
    hypercholesterolemia, again, it is only a concern if you have a
    marginal zinc intake to begin with. In general, if your zinc intake is
    adequate, casein has no signficant effect (assuming that it is not the
    only thing you are eating). As far as our products specifically, there
    isn't any significant casein content in the products and the zinc
    content of the Essentials, macro-optimizers, Visionex is more than
    adequate to account for any casein-zinc interaction.

    Best Regards,

    Russ Barton, M.S., C.N.S.
    Science Information Services

    From: Wang Heng Teck<[email protected]>
    Phone: 65 812 65099
    Associate ID:
    Company: Kansas State University
    Position: Student
    Full Address: 920 Hougang St 91 #05-09
    Singapore 530920

    Message: What can we do about milk casein binding up zinc?

    Tags:

  2. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    Casein may bind zinc but does it affect overall bioavailability.
    Casein is a protien which is readily hydrolysed.
    Secondly under acid conditions ionisation of casein is suppressed
    releasing bound cations.

    Bob M