What car to buy to carry my bike?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by ozintokyo, Feb 19, 2004.

1. ozintokyo

ozintokyo New Member

Well - I'm in the market for a car. My old one is coming up for registration renewal and I thought it a good time to get into another one.

Problem is - I'm a greedy bastard, so I want to have my cake and eat it too!!

I want a sporty car - I want a convertible - I want it to be gutsy - no BMW Z3 looks-like-a-sports-car-but-with-1.8 litre engine crap!!

And, of course - I also want to be able to use it to cart a bike or 2 around!!

So, my three basic criteria are:

- convertible
    - powerful
    - can transport my bike around

Any suggestions?

Tags:

2. McBain_v1

McBain_v1 New Member

I could not agree more with the BMW observation, you are well advised staying away from any of that Teutonic crap. Go for a real sporty convertible, choose from any of these and you will not be disappointed :)

Personally, I'd put my road bike on a TVR Tamora. 0-60mph in 4.4 seconds, 0-100 in 9.5 seconds, 3605cc producing 350bhp @ 7200rpm

3. ouzo

ouzo New Member

TVR is great but would look strange with a bike hanging off the back of it. How 'bout a 3 series convertable. Not sure what else you get in Japan, perhaps a Toyota Supra (would also look strange with a bike attached though).

4. damiansmith

damiansmith New Member

I had the same dilemna last year, wanted something fast and a bit sporty but something that could fit snowboard bags inside and bikes on the roof without looking strange, decided on a WRX wagon in the end, it flies, looks pretty sporty and doesn't look silly with all the sport equipment hanging off it, plus 4WD is good to get up to the ski fields. I think if you have to go with a convertible a real small one, like an S2000 or miata or something will look silly with the bikes on, I agree with ouzo, a 3 series wouldn't look too bad with a rack on the back.

5. Maq Dreqan

Maq Dreqan New Member

Dude, that is one phallic car. There is a reason they made it look like that.

Nothing carries bikes better than a beat up late 80's Chevy S-10 pickup with front wheel mounts bolted in back. Bolt a van seat in the back too and cut off the top and you have your convertable. Take out the firewall and drop in a 350 and you have your sports car. You may have pretty warm feet though...

6. firegooroo

firegooroo New Member

An American pick-up. Why? Just because.

7. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

One of my Neighbours carts her MTB around on the back of her BMW M3 Convertible...looks VERRRRRY tasty!!

The Car is nice too!!

:D

8. ozintokyo

ozintokyo New Member

Some pretty good suggestions all - thanks.

Damn, that TVR looks the business don't it!! But yeah, not sure how to mount a bike on it - but certainly worth lookin' into. :)

M3 or even an M5 are other possibilities I guess, although I've not seen an M5 convertible.

I am afraid that I will probably have to go past anything American - simply because, for the most part, they are just not available here in Japan. Not for anything like the prices they should be anyway. :(

9. 62vette

62vette Well-Known Member

Nissan 350Z Roadster

[​IMG]

Lindsay

10. McBain_v1

McBain_v1 New Member

Phallic? :eek:

This from the country that brought us the Dodge Viper?! (A plug ugly car) :mad:

Stick with TVR - impeccable styling, bespoke interiors and enough wallop under your right foot to make you swallow your tongue if you nail the accelerator :D

11. skillerv

skillerv New Member

Im not sure what your talking about the viper an ugly car, but if youve seen any of the new ones on the road they are anything but ugly and when they come with 500hp 500Ft/lbs of torque and a 500in^2 V-10 engine that sounds like beauty to me

12. trek_man3700

trek_man3700 New Member

well i wood get a ford

13. 62vette

62vette Well-Known Member

Or you could say sod the soft top and buy a Mazda RX8.

Just remember to take the bike off the roof before driving in to any car park buildings if you use a roof rack mounted bike rack :)

http://www.rx8.co.nz/Vehicle/gallery.aspx

Lindsay