What cartridge bearings for Campag Record BB?

Robert

Guest
Hi all,

Pls excuse me if this question's been done a zillion times over, but I'd
like to buy some reserve bearings for my bottom bracket, 2004 model.

I understand that there are three cartridge bearings in two sizes, two
small for the chain side, and one larger for the other side.

Since this town is also the head office for SKF, there should be a
decent chance that I'll find what I want, without having to go through
Campag :)

What sizes are these things? I'm too lazy to tear down my own BB to find
out. Any problems in pressing these things in and out without a press?

TIA /Robert, Gothenburg Sweden

Robert wrote:

> Any problems in pressing these things in and out without a press?

Well, you can very easily destroy the bearing ;-)

The rule is only to press on the race where all the friction is; so if
the bearing has to be pressed onto the axle, just apply pressure to the
inner race. if it has to be pressed into the shell, apply pressure to
the outer race.

A socket of the correct diameter can be used.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
----8<---snip
> The rule is only to press on the race where all the friction is; so if
> the bearing has to be pressed

---8<---snip

Ok, regular rules apply then. What about the size of cartridge bearing
then? /Robert

RRobert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Pls excuse me if this question's been done a zillion times over, but I'd
> like to buy some reserve bearings for my bottom bracket, 2004 model.
>
> I understand that there are three cartridge bearings in two sizes, two
> small for the chain side, and one larger for the other side.
>
> Since this town is also the head office for SKF, there should be a
> decent chance that I'll find what I want, without having to go through
> Campag :)
>
> What sizes are these things? I'm too lazy to tear down my own BB to find
> out. Any problems in pressing these things in and out without a press?

The right side has a pair of SKF 64803.
Left side is the ubiquitous 61903.
Suffixes to choice,they are not critical here. Campagnolo
uses RS-1.

Anyone familiar with changing cartridge bearings will not
find the Record/Chorus BB difficult. Your average apartment
dweller with a few hand tools will likely be stymied.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
> RRobert wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Pls excuse me if this question's been done a zillion times over, but
>> I'd like to buy some reserve bearings for my bottom bracket, 2004 model.
>>
>> I understand that there are three cartridge bearings in two sizes, two
>> small for the chain side, and one larger for the other side.
>>
>> Since this town is also the head office for SKF, there should be a
>> decent chance that I'll find what I want, without having to go through
>> Campag :)
>>
>> What sizes are these things? I'm too lazy to tear down my own BB to
>> find out. Any problems in pressing these things in and out without a
>> press?

> The right side has a pair of SKF 64803.
> Left side is the ubiquitous 61903.
> Suffixes to choice,they are not critical here. Campagnolo uses RS-1.

I can't find the 64803 on their website. Is it an unusual bearing, or
is there a replacement?

Pete
--
Whose Campy Record BB lasted 12 weeks before a bearing went

A Muzi wrote:
> -snip-

>> A Muzi wrote:
>>
>>> The right side has a pair of SKF 64803.
>>> Left side is the ubiquitous 61903.
>>> Suffixes to choice,they are not critical here. Campagnolo uses RS-1.

> Ningi wrote:
>
>> I can't find the 64803 on their website. Is it an unusual bearing, or
>> is there a replacement?
>> Pete
>> --
>> Whose Campy Record BB lasted 12 weeks before a bearing went

> 16.5 x 26 x 5
> 3 months is abnormal. They are sensitive to threads not on the same
> axis and will bind in that case. Was there a thread problem or a hostile
> ( salty) environment?

Neither of the above that I'mn aware of. Everything else seemed fine
when I removed it. so I just put it down to "one of those things"

The replacement chorus BB has been fine for a year.

Thanks for the info.

Pete

A Muzi wrote:
> RRobert wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Pls excuse me if this question's been done a zillion times over, but
>> I'd like to buy some reserve bearings for my bottom bracket, 2004 model.
>>
>> I understand that there are three cartridge bearings in two sizes, two
>> small for the chain side, and one larger for the other side.
>>
>> Since this town is also the head office for SKF, there should be a
>> decent chance that I'll find what I want, without having to go through
>> Campag :)
>>
>> What sizes are these things? I'm too lazy to tear down my own BB to
>> find out. Any problems in pressing these things in and out without a
>> press?

> The right side has a pair of SKF 64803.
> Left side is the ubiquitous 61903.
> Suffixes to choice,they are not critical here. Campagnolo uses RS-1.

Thank you Andrew, I'll go buy some as spares. /Robert