What chain is compatible with Shimano Tiagra casette

eldorado

Apr 16, 2010
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what chain I can use with my new Shimano Tiagra 9 speed rear casette ( HG50)? According to the Shimano website I should be using HG53 chain to keep it all Tiagra, but I have a HG93 9 speed chain that I was wondering whether it would work. I figured 9 speed shain matches 9 speed cassette but I think the HG93 is for MTB (maybe Deore)??

Help anyone? :confused:

It should work. I'm sure you can pretty much use any major 9-speed chain brand on it, though you may or may not void any warranties if you use a different brand of chain. HG93 also works for Ultegra and should work with Tiagra as well.

ANY 9 speed chain will do (including Campagnolo, SRAM, YBN, Connex/Wipperman, and KMC). 10 speed chains will work too.

tafi said:
ANY 9 speed chain will do (including Campagnolo, SRAM, YBN, Connex/Wipperman, and KMC). 10 speed chains will work too.

Thansk for the advice so far. So it doesn't matter if it is 9 speed MTB chain - it will still work on 9 speed road bike cassette?

tafi said:
While any chain can be used, I do not believe that the shifts will be optimal when dealing with indexed shifting & non-Campagnolo shifters ... Shimano engineers expect you to use a Shimano chain of the proper ilk with their shifters, and SRAM engineers similarly expect you to use a SRAM chain with their shifters.

FWIW. I have a rule of thumb for indexing NON-Campagnolo shifters -- match the chain to the cassette & the front derailleur to the chain UNLESS (in the latter case) you are using non-Xenon-based Campagnolo shifters (the non-Xenon-based shifters which can index with ANY front derailleur) ...
Since I use Campagnolo shifters, I generally use Shimano chains but also use SRAM chains.
OR, match the chain to the front derailleur, etc.

IMO, using a 10-speed chain -- OR, even some other non-Shimano chains -- MAY (or, may not) cause shifting irregularities (i.e., problems!) ... that's right, 0.1mm difference CAN make a difference, IMO.

Simply stated, the width of the chain will affect the ability of the front derailleur to move the chain efficiently between chainrings -- the derailleur cage will only move so far between indexed indents ... if the chain is not wide enough to engage the adjacent chainring, then it may balk.

If the chain is too wide, then it will undoubtedly rub against the inside of the front derailleur's cage when the 'ideal' chain probably wouldn't.

Why bother replacing one fairly successful and simple rule of thumb with a more complicated one which may not net any improvement (in your opinion)?

There are actually no iron-clad guarantees that it would work with a shimano chain either (I have seen several examples which required an off brand chain in order to work).

tafi said:
Why bother replacing one fairly successful and simple rule of thumb with a more complicated one which may not net any improvement (in your opinion)?

There are actually no iron-clad guarantees that it would work with a shimano chain either (I have seen several examples which required an off brand chain in order to work).
While you may be correct that there have been occasions when a non-Shimano chain seemed to work better with some Shimano drivetrains than a Shimano drivetrain, undoubtedly other compromises were introduced ... and, your 'rule of thumb' was therefore inaccurate ...
I don't recall how FAT a 9-speed Campagnolo chain is, but I suspect that it is closer to an 8-speed Shimano chain in width than to a 9-speed Shimano chain.
And, in particular, the inclusion of using a 10-speed chain in your earlier reply was outright misinformation.

I will stand by my prior statement, when using a Shimano or SRAM drivetrain, it's best to use the chain spec'd by the particular manufacturer ... in other words, match the chain to the cassette & the front derailleur to the chain.

BTW. As far as the HG93 vs. the HG50 chains ... the difference is evident in the cosmetic appearance where the former is apparently nickel plated and the latter isn't ... they are interchangeable.

Thanks everyone. The real issue was whether I can use the HG93. I installed it last night and it is sweeeet. Hope it stays that way

alfeng said:
While you may be correct that there have been occasions when a non-Shimano chain seemed to work better with some Shimano drivetrains than a Shimano drivetrain, undoubtedly other compromises were introduced ... and, your 'rule of thumb' was therefore inaccurate ...

Evidence of such "undoubted" compromises would be welcome. I've used plenty of off brand chains (as well as "off-speed" chains - usually out of sheer curiosity) myself without a problem. I know of others who frequently prefer to use a campagnolo chain on an otherwise shimano drive train. The only "compromise" I can see here is that the cassette will probably wear out before the chain does.

Statements about curiosity aside, I will qualify what I said above and agree that it is usually best to use an OEM chain (if nothing else than for warranty reasons), but a subsitiute is usually also insignificantly different.

The width of the chain is far from the only factor which influeces FD shifting. Your claim of 0.1mm having an effect would be fine if a bike were a precision machine, but it clearly isn't. Indexing tolerances are more likely to be 0.5mm (maybe more) whilst BB tollerances for width are of the order 0.5mm~1mm and frame allignment tollerances are around 3-5mm (so that the chain line may vary by this ammount).

To say that 0.1mm (or even 0.5mm) difference in chain width is the deciding factor in shift performance is wishfull.

FDs can usually cope with these sorts of tolerances and mis-alignments standing on their head so a fraction of a mm (thats the difference between 9 and 10) isn't likely to cause problems and what I've seen bares this out in practice.

Moreover, when campagnolo adopted the UN chain, chain width decreased by 0.2mm without any change in other components. One was usually able to adopt the new chain without even having to retune the FD.

I have also seen OEM shimano 10 speed bikes fitted with older generation (9 speed) FDs to save money (usually becasue the manufactrurer was overstocked with that derailleur type). Shift performance was entirely adequate.

tafi said:
Evidence of such "undoubted" compromises would be welcome. I've used plenty of off brand chains (as well as "off-speed" chains - usually out of sheer curiosity) myself without a problem. I know of others who frequently prefer to use a campagnolo chain on an otherwise shimano drive train. The only "compromise" I can see here is that the cassette will probably wear out before the chain does.

Statements about curiosity aside, I will qualify what I said above and agree that it is usually best to use an OEM chain (if nothing else than for warranty reasons), but a subsitiute is usually also insignificantly different.

The width of the chain is far from the only factor which influeces FD shifting. Your claim of 0.1mm having an effect would be fine if a bike were a precision machine, but it clearly isn't. Indexing tolerances are more likely to be 0.5mm (maybe more) whilst BB tollerances for width are of the order 0.5mm~1mm and frame allignment tollerances are around 3-5mm (so that the chain line may vary by this ammount).

To say that 0.1mm (or even 0.5mm) difference in chain width is the deciding factor in shift performance is wishfull.

FDs can usually cope with these sorts of tolerances and mis-alignments standing on their head so a fraction of a mm (thats the difference between 9 and 10) isn't likely to cause problems and what I've seen bares this out in practice.

Moreover, when campagnolo adopted the UN chain, chain width decreased by 0.2mm without any change in other components. One was usually able to adopt the new chain without even having to retune the FD.

I have also seen OEM shimano 10 speed bikes fitted with older generation (9 speed) FDs to save money (usually becasue the manufactrurer was overstocked with that derailleur type). Shift performance was entirely adequate.
Well, I'm NOT saying that the shifting wouldn't be "entirely adequate" if you used a randomly chosen chain on a Double crankset ...

I would hazard to guess that despite the numerous bikes you've worked on, few-if-any had Triples ... and, on those that did you did not change the chain to one of your random choice ...

Because, it if you chose & installed the wrong chain on a Triple then you would quickly find that shifting across all three chainrings would be problematic.
If you are in doubt that the shifting becomes problematic, then the next time a bike with a rare, 8-speed Shimano Road Triple comes in, then put a 9-speed chain on it and see who well the combination shifts, or doesn't ...

Or, put a 10-speed chain on the next 9-speed Shimano Road Triple which you happen to come across ...

Et cetera.
Now, what I've described is the WRONG chain type, but it illustrates the point on chains where the difference in the width of the chain is fairly small -- fractions of a millimeter.

And, indeed, there is wiggle room (aka "imprecision") with a Double, but a simple extrapolation of what can occur with the Triple [on a bike with non-Campagnolo shifters] to what may occur with the Double should indicate to you/anyone that the imprecision which you are introducing into the shifting by using too narrow OR too wide a chain is not enhancing the shifting, but rather diminishing it ...
With too narrow a chain, and the dis-/engagement may be balky ...

With too wide a chain, and the rider will probably need to trim (if possible) sooner rather than later.
A lot of drivetrain combinations work which are not authorized by Campagnolo, Shimano, SRAM ...

AND, I'm a big advocate of NOT adhering to the "company line" when it comes to maintaining continuity with components, BUT your remark was too casual (at least, IMO) & you thereby opened a can of worms which was best left unopened by the average cyclist ...

So, while you might use a 9-speed Shimano chain on a 9-speed Campagnolo drivetrain, I don't think you would want to use the wider 9-speed Campagnolo chain with a 9-speed Shimano drivetrain because of the fore mentioned probability of needing to trim sooner-rather-than-later (heck, you may/must know that some people NEVER trim their front derailleur after shifting from one chainring to the other on bikes whose shifters are capable of trimming the front derailleur AND SO installing a chain which is fractionally too wide would only aggravate the situation).

Okay now I see the direction from which you are coming.

True, I've never had the opportunity to try chain swapping on a triple. I don't come across too many on roadies and their number is decreasing since the introduction of compact cranks.

But I now have the idea to test out a Campag chain on an MTB...

...your remark was too casual...

Okay, slightly, would have qualified it if I hadn't forgotten the existence of road triples.