What Chain Lube?

garegin said:
but isnt the axle part of the hub?
I don't claim to be able to tell what broke from your description. It's just a pet peeve of mine and a good guess. I feel it's just as likely as the theory that grit destroyed the hub.

Cheap MTB hubs are a bit too fragile for serious use. Their design is quite similar to lower end road bike hubs of the '70s. If I had one, I'd try not to ride it off any curbs or do a lot of jumping unless it's one of the cheapies with suspension, in which case it might be ok.

Since well-adjusted bearings can keep an axle from bending, maybe grit could contribute to axle bending because the wear makes the adjustment open up.

thanks. i have no way of finding out myself because i dont have the tools to dissemble the hub. but your theory is probably right. the shop-guy tightened the freewheel and in 30 seconds after riding out of the shop i could hear the squel. next day i took the bike for a 20+ mile ride and by the time i was riding home the freewheel sounded like a death metal band.:p :p

kdelong said:
You didn't notice my "insert gasps of horror"? Believe it or not, in the 1970's, WD40 was the chain lube of choice for many US riders. It was either WD40, wax, or motor oil which left nice black streaks on anything that the chain touched and collected dirt more efficiently than a shovel. And then Tri-Lube was invented and WD40 was tossed like a two headed baby. Am I the only one on this forum that is this old or does anyone else remember this too?
I remember WD40. Used to use it for everything. I use White Lightning now, and am very happy with the results.

Old guys rule!!:D (where's my geritol?)

What about Ice Wax, a spray on? Not thrilled with how long it lasts in wet conditions, but seems good otherwise. Doesn't attract grit the way petroleum lubes seem to do.

It's the only 'modern' lube I've tried, though, so I was wondering if anyone that's used several can tell me how it rates.

I have tried both Pedros Ice Wax and White Lightning; I switched to Pedros because it came in a bigger bottle.

These are both solvent-borne waxes.

They would probably keep the chain cleaner if you rode in sandy, dusty conditions but otherwise do not last very long and the chain starts to squeak pretty quick if you are caught in the rain.

I am going back to a liquid lube as even my trail riding is not so dusty.

kdelong said:
You didn't notice my "insert gasps of horror"? Believe it or not, in the 1970's, WD40 was the chain lube of choice for many US riders. It was either WD40, wax, or motor oil which left nice black streaks on anything that the chain touched and collected dirt more efficiently than a shovel. And then Tri-Lube was invented and WD40 was tossed like a two headed baby. Am I the only one on this forum that is this old or does anyone else remember this too?
Nope, I'm "that old" and can attest that your description of "chain lubes" used in the US is right on target. I've tried them all. Can still remember spraying wd-40 and that sticky black motocycle chain lube all over the chain and rear wheel. Motor oil from the pump squirt can was just as bad; what a mess.

Actually, only tried the hot wax nonsense once on my 1950's BSA motorcycle chain. Thankfully Triflow et al put the final nail in that ancient ritual, at least at the moto shops I worked at in those days.

Prolink is my lube of choice now for bike chains. One drop per bushing, wipe it down with a rag whenever you see oil on the outside, and reapply every 100-200 miles.

dhk2 said:
Prolink is my lube of choice now for bike chains. One drop per bushing, wipe it down with a rag whenever you see oil on the outside, and reapply every 100-200 miles.

ProLink is the stuff. Easy application. Doesn't fling. Lubes real nice.

Prolink works well as a cleaner too, just overapply and rotate for a little while and then wipe off the gunk that has been dissolved