What cleaner and oil should I use on my bike chain?

Dexter49

Oct 10, 2014
I need to clean, my chain as its getting a little clunky when I’m changing gears. I have no idea what I should be cleaning it with and then what I should oil with. Any help would be great. It’s a road bike that is used every day no matter the weather.

You can use WD40 to clean your chain. It will loosen it up and free up and dirt that is in there. Once that is done you can wipe off the excess after a few hours and then proceed to add oil. I just use regular motor oil.

Ok, I'm expecting alot of criticism about this, but what I found that works best for cleaning cassettes and chains is clothes hand-wash detergent...

It's cheap and it washes off muck and oil really well.

Of course you can always get a 20euro de-greaser...

Lube... if you need to apply lube often (in a in a dirrrty city for example) just go for the cheapest one. I use Weldtite.

DAZ960.jpg

I personally think that olive oil works haha, whether you believe it or not, I think olive oil is thick and can get moist and doesn't become smooth and doesn't evaporate, just when the sun gets hot, don't be touching your chains you don't wanna be frying your fingers, lol.

Volnix said:
Ok, I'm expecting alot of criticism about this, but what I found that works best for cleaning cassettes and chains is clothes hand-wash detergent...

It's cheap and it washes off muck and oil really well.

Of course you can always get a 20euro de-greaser...

Lube... if you need to apply lube often (in a in a dirrrty city for example) just go for the cheapest one. I use Weldtite.

DAZ960.jpg
The powdered soap is ace for hands, not so great for components.

If you want to go cheap on cleaning chains then diesel is a great choice. Cleans well and doesn't degrease. It was used for eons by pro mechanics until the advent of more expensive and slightly faster working fancy chemicals.

kylerlittle said:
I personally think that olive oil works haha, whether you believe it or not, I think olive oil is thick and can get moist and doesn't become smooth and doesn't evaporate, just when the sun gets hot, don't be touching your chains you don't wanna be frying your fingers, lol.
I found out many years ago that olive oil is great for butt sex with your friends cute looking mom. Lubricates and is moist. Easy clean up afterwards. I knew there'd be an upside to being a your racing cyclist with shaved legs and tight lycra...

For chains - too much dirt and dust would stick too it.

swampy1970 said:
I found out many years ago that olive oil is great for butt sex with your friends cute looking mom. Lubricates and is moist. Easy clean up afterwards. I knew there'd be an upside to being a your racing cyclist with shaved legs and tight lycra...

I just...I don't know what to say to this, and I'm too choked up to laugh any harder. :ph34r:

swampy1970 said:
The powdered soap is ace for hands, not so great for components.

If you want to go cheap on cleaning chains then diesel is a great choice. Cleans well and doesn't degrease. It was used for eons by pro mechanics until the advent of more expensive and slightly faster working fancy chemicals.
Not good as it doesn't clean that well or not good as it harms my SuperClaris Cassette? :D

I throw some detergent on a wet bike cassette... The I brush the cassette with a "Professional" 1 euro brush.

Works well enough...

Wont diesel damage the paint?

I'm not being paid by them but I like to use White Lightning brand lubes & cleaners. I love them. I don't have to work as hard as with other brands & it tends to 'keep' better. I also love to use the brush that attaches as you pedal.

Volnix said:
Not good as it doesn't clean that well or not good as it harms my SuperClaris Cassette? :D

I throw some detergent on a wet bike cassette... The I brush the cassette with a "Professional" 1 euro brush.

Works well enough...

Wont diesel damage the paint?
Diesel isn't all that bad. Wash it off within a couple of minutes with warm soapy water.

The main benefit is that it's not as 'evil' as some of the orange cleaning stuff (like Park Tools) that's out there. It doesn't degrease as much but it lubricates enough to remove the gunk and **** off leaving a shiny chain. It's great if you like to use a wet lube - probably a complete and utter nightmare if dry lube is your thing.

Because it doesn't degrease everything within a 25 km radius, I'm OK with using it on my cassette that's mounted on my PowerTap hub. If I only have Park Tool cleaner then the cassette comes off and the sprockets are cleaned individually.

I've used that White Lightning wax crud, it's garbage. Proper application takes a long time, you have to wait for it to dry. With it my chains squeak unbearably after the first ride. You have to apply before each and every ride.

I stick to oil based lubricants.

henchman21 said:
I use WD40 to clean it off then I apply 3in1 oil to lubricate the chain.
That's what I do too, and it has worked for me so far. I recommend it.

BTW: gavinfree's post had me in tears! Didn't expect that, hahaha.

I personally do the following; I make sure I put good old fashioned WD40 on the chain before I clean it. I take a rag and just clean without any water. I will take a bit of oil and put it on the chain and back tire parts. Because you use it all terrain you should be doing this quite often to keep your investment in good shape.

Volnix is on to something with that cheapo detergent. See a bike chain is not really a special item (motorcycle chains are though) they are pretty simple. They get dirty and greasy so you just need something made to clean dirt and grease. Run of the mill detergent is good stuff! WD40 seems popular too here. You do not need a special product for chain cleaning.
Now for oiling it up, I do use a special motorcycle chain lube. It's made not to fling off the chain as much, so I don't get as dirty my first ride. I think wd40 makes a silicone version of it's product that would be good, I'm just waiting until I run out of what I have now to pick some up and try it.
I have used gear oil, motor oil, white grease and a few others. They all work fine but they can be messy your first ride.

swampy1970 said:

Excuse me?

You can clean your chain with some degreaser and a toothbrush. Any household degreaser will do. If you want to remove surface rust please do not dip it in muiratic acid. That is the most iresponsible advice I have ever seen in here. Vinegar will remove rust from steel and is non toxic.
Lubricate your clean chain with some bike store bought chain lubes.