What cleaner and oil should I use on my bike chain?

You can do one of four things:
1. You can lube the chain and hope it works.
2. You can try a special chain cleaning device (These can be found in bike shops, though I've never tried one).
3. You can replace the chain (Probably the best option, but you will need a chain removal tool).
4. You can put it in a bucket then mix some water with some Muratic acid and let it set for a week. (My uncle used to dip rusted (Muratic acid eats rust) car bodies and leave them for a week and they would come out looking like new.)

If it is only slightly rusty, don't worry. Oil it, and wipe as much of the excess oil off as possible, repeat, then don't leave it outside anymore, and oil the chain as described about once a week. If the chain is really rusty, replace it, it isn't worth saving.

Try to get a steel brush to get the rust off but then make sure to re- oil the chan on each roller. but not 2 much grease or you will get dirt in it

maydog said:
I've used that White Lightning wax crud, it's garbage. Proper application takes a long time, you have to wait for it to dry. With it my chains squeak unbearably after the first ride. You have to apply before each and every ride.

I stick to oil based lubricants.
Works great for me. :)

Depends on riding conditions. Dry all the time, I would probably use DIY wax formula melted in a pot.

Yet I deal with all weather riding conditions. Wet sometimes where I use wet lube or oil since they can tolerate rides in the rain for couple of hours before needing relube.

If you're up for motor oil, I use 5w-30 fully synthetic oil both as cleaner and lubricant. Because motor oil is stupendously cheap compared to dedicated bike chain oil. you can apply generous amounts to the chain quite liberally to clean it. Just be sure to remove chain before you do that. REmove chain and place over old newspaper or rags then apply lots of oil. Leave for 30 minutes and then wipe it down with a rage very thoroughly to remove any excess oil. The chain would be lubed as well at this point.

Put chain back on bike, back pedal for a few minutes and wipe down again with rag to remove excess oil. Repeat a few more times until there's no more oil to wipe down.

IF you're using wax in dry-only rides, NEVER use oil to clean the chain.