What clothes do I where???

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Gary Poindexter, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. I am going to be doing my first sprint tri and I do not have a clue on what kind of clothing would
    be best. Could anyone shed some light on this topic so I can plan for it? Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Theodor Seiz

    Theodor Seiz Guest

    If you have some money left, I like a two piece tri suit most. If not Swimming truncs or suit and a
    T-shirt will work well. The advantage of the tri suit is that you can wear it during the swim so no
    need to change clothes and it dries easily. Avoid having to change clothes and avoid everythink with
    cotton (the t shirt doesnt hurt too much if its of cotton). And try that stuff out before and use
    cream wherever you tend to get red.

    So my shopping list would be:

    Tri Suit (or swim suit + t-shirt) Helmet Waterproof suncream (before the event) Cream (before the
    event - wherever you might need it) cycling and running shoes (A very light rain jacket - in the
    Transition area if it gets cold and/or raining)

    I dont wear caps, gloves, socks, neopren suits, ties ... in a sprint. I dislike Sport tops (i think
    thats the term for mens bras) and singlets (remember - no going to the toilet with one on) - but
    others might like them.

    >I am going to be doing my first sprint tri and I do not have a clue on what kind of clothing would
    >be best. Could anyone shed some light on this topic so I can plan for it? Thanks

  3. Alan Walker

    Alan Walker Guest

    Speedo (or equivalent)

    Anything else takes time in the transitions. You can forgo socks, tee-shirts, shorts, etc.

    Alan.

    "Gary Poindexter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am going to be doing my first sprint tri and I do not have a clue on
    what
    > kind of clothing would be best. Could anyone shed some light on this
    topic
    > so I can plan for it? Thanks

  4. What do you normally swim in? I've done some events in bike shorts with a thin pad, and some in a
    swim suit (Speedo jammers, looks like bike shorts but no pad). I usually bike and run in a
    sleeveless bike jersey.

    chris

    Gary Poindexter wrote:

    > I am going to be doing my first sprint tri and I do not have a clue on what kind of clothing would
    > be best. Could anyone shed some light on this topic so I can plan for it? Thanks

  5. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    It depends how much riding you have done. I know when I started out, riding in speedos was not very
    comfortable and you also run the risk of chafing, particularly if the tri is in salt water. A trick
    some riders do is put vasoline under the seat and then just use a bit if they are chafing. Only
    catch with that is that if you grab your bike to run with it through transition, you can end up with
    slippery hands when you go to grab the handlebars.

    Speaking of chafing, watch out for chafing of the nipples. I did the Accenture race in St Kilda,
    Melb, Aus and after only 5km with a loose sponsors racetop and saltwater swim, I was bleeding and it
    put me off my run. Vasoline or bandaids should do the trick.

    Another piece of advice that's come from my earlier races is that if you plan to put a singlet or
    tank top on after the swim, you will be surprised just how difficult it can be when you are a bit
    puffed and covered in lake water. Find a top that is easy to get on, or else get a race singlet made
    of lycra and swim in it.

    Socks are another big question mark. If you are at all prone to blisters, then wear socks. Then as
    you chock up a few races, ditch the socks on the shorter races and then on the longer races.