What color headlight for best night vision?

lectraplayer

May 11, 2014
I'm looking at parts for a DIY headlight, and am trying to figure out what color LED will give me the best range (distance) for trail riding at night. While 5000/6500K seems logical, I've seen an instructible where a guy used turquoise (green/blue), and made the argument that he could see farther. That makes sense as the rods in my eyes respond best to that color, but how does that translate to illuminating dirt, leaves, and logs on a rainy night with no lights for miles? Would warm white be better here since most objects are brown and green in the woods? The guy also mentioned that green was next best on night vision. (Remember, we're not talking about preserving unassisted night vision, or contrast lighting, which red light is good for)

Around here, many use "cold" LEDs, for simple expediency. It's what is most readily available in Commercial packages. DIY lights were big a few years back, and then people usually went for a warmer light for better colour representation. Nowadays the Commercial lights have gotten so good and inexpensive as to seriously reduce the home build scene. You might want to check out candlepowerforum.com for a better answer.

I used to browse that one. However they did like www.bikeforums.net and got to where discussing lightng was contraband. (Discussed in a seperate thread here)

Here's sorta what I was refferring to. http://m.instructables.com/id/Ultimate-Night-Vision-Headlamp---500%2B-lumens-with-/ ...though this guy goes all out with the Buckpuck and other weights. I think I can to the same with a smaller battery, simpler driver, and the whole shootin' match.

Originally Posted by lectraplayer

I'm looking at parts for a DIY headlight, and am trying to figure out what color LED will give me the best range (distance) for trail riding at night. While 5000/6500K seems logical, I've seen an instructible where a guy used turquoise (green/blue), and made the argument that he could see farther. That makes sense as the rods in my eyes respond best to that color, but how does that translate to illuminating dirt, leaves, and logs on a rainy night with no lights for miles? Would warm white be better here since most objects are brown and green in the woods? The guy also mentioned that green was next best on night vision. (Remember, we're not talking about preserving unassisted night vision, or contrast lighting, which red light is good for)
A bluer light is better at helping you to see at a greater distance up until you get to 6000K past that and it begins to drop off rapidly, but it mutes terrain and makes terrain and roads look dim which makes it more difficult to ride off road or even on road with, and that range of color makes it a bit more difficult to see in foggy or rainy conditions; The better all around color is 5000k or what's called neutral white, it's the best to see terrain and road detail, plus it's the best at foggy and rainy conditions. Yellow and green tinted lights were made by using cheaper LED's and they are the least effective.