What component should I splurge on?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Adam C, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Adam C

    Adam C Guest

    I'm thinking of building a road bike from the ground up, and I want to do it on a budget. If you
    were to splurge on one or two components what would they be? Dereailur? Wheelset? Fork? Brakes? Also
    what components can I get away with going cheap on?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Adam C wrote:
    > I'm thinking of building a road bike from the ground up, and I want to do it on a budget. If you
    > were to splurge on one or two components what would they be? Dereailur? Wheelset? Fork? Brakes?

    Max out that card on the most expensive cassette you can find. Then never replace it.

    > Also what components can I get away with going cheap on?

    Shifters.

    Dan

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Adam C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm thinking of building a road bike from the ground up, and I want to do
    it
    > on a budget. If you were to splurge on one or two components what would
    they
    > be? Dereailur? Wheelset? Fork? Brakes? Also what components can I get away with going cheap on?
    >
    > Thanks

    Smartass responses notwithstanding, I'd try and shop ebay, roadbikereview,
    r.b.marketplace, etc. for the best parts at the best prices. I've managed to piece together several
    Dura Ace bikes for pennies on the dollar over the years.

    If you have to go cheap on some things, I'd say front derailleur, crankset/BB, seatpost, and
    maybe brakes.

    Things that you want to keep as nice as possible: shifters + rear derailleur, and pedals.

    If you're not racing, wheels are wheels so there's no need to spend huge amounts of $$ on them. If
    you are racing, wheels are wheels. You're probably going to crash so there's still no need to spend
    huge amounts of money on them. To start with Open Pro/Velocity Aeroheads/DT/etc. rims laced 3x to
    whatever hubs you're running are probably your best bet. After that, who knows.

    Get the saddle that fits your ass. The most expensive featherweight saddle that doesn't fit is worse
    than a heavier saddle that you can ride. This is so personal that I'm not even going to begin to
    make a recommendation.

    That help?

    Mike

  4. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    Dan Connelly wrote:

    > Adam C wrote:
    >
    >> I'm thinking of building a road bike from the ground up, and I want to do it on a budget. If you
    >> were to splurge on one or two components what would they be? Dereailur? Wheelset? Fork? Brakes?
    >
    > Max out that card on the most expensive cassette you can find. Then never replace it.

    Build the bike around an NOS 80's Campy aluminum 7-speed cassette.

  5. Jay Hill wrote:

    > Dan Connelly wrote:
    >

    >> Adam C wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm thinking of building a road bike from the ground up, and I want to do it on a budget. If you
    >>> were to splurge on one or two components what would they be? Dereailur? Wheelset? Fork? Brakes?
    >>

    >> Max out that card on the most expensive cassette you can find. Then never replace it.
    >

    > Build the bike around an NOS 80's Campy aluminum 7-speed cassette.

    I'd suggest shopping for Campy 8 or 9 speed stuff. I see a lot of eq. going cheep as everyone seems
    to only want 10 speed.

  6. Smiles

    Smiles Guest

    "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Also what components can I get away with going cheap on?
    > >

    > Shifters.

    Disagree ... get a good chain (PC-99), cassette shifters and rear derailleur ... a quality wheel
    with a sealed hub (like Mavic's line up) ... go less on the front and crank ... i would spend a
    little on the BB so it's smooth.

    s http://boardnbike.com

  7. Adam C

    Adam C Guest

    Thanks for all the input...its been very helpful!

    Adam