What component should I splurge on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adam C

I'm thinking of building a road bike from the ground up, and I want to do it on a budget. If you
were to splurge on one or two components what would they be? Dereailur? Wheelset? Fork? Brakes? Also
what components can I get away with going cheap on?

Thanks

Adam C wrote:
> I'm thinking of building a road bike from the ground up, and I want to do it on a budget. If you
> were to splurge on one or two components what would they be? Dereailur? Wheelset? Fork? Brakes?

Max out that card on the most expensive cassette you can find. Then never replace it.

> Also what components can I get away with going cheap on?
>

Shifters.

Dan

"Adam C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking of building a road bike from the ground up, and I want to do
it
> on a budget. If you were to splurge on one or two components what would
they
> be? Dereailur? Wheelset? Fork? Brakes? Also what components can I get away with going cheap on?
>
> Thanks
>
>
Smartass responses notwithstanding, I'd try and shop ebay, roadbikereview,
r.b.marketplace, etc. for the best parts at the best prices. I've managed to piece together several
Dura Ace bikes for pennies on the dollar over the years.

If you have to go cheap on some things, I'd say front derailleur, crankset/BB, seatpost, and
maybe brakes.

Things that you want to keep as nice as possible: shifters + rear derailleur, and pedals.

If you're not racing, wheels are wheels so there's no need to spend huge amounts of $$ on them. If
you are racing, wheels are wheels. You're probably going to crash so there's still no need to spend
huge amounts of money on them. To start with Open Pro/Velocity Aeroheads/DT/etc. rims laced 3x to
whatever hubs you're running are probably your best bet. After that, who knows.

Get the saddle that fits your ass. The most expensive featherweight saddle that doesn't fit is worse
than a heavier saddle that you can ride. This is so personal that I'm not even going to begin to
make a recommendation.

That help?

Mike

Dan Connelly wrote:
>
> Adam C wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of building a road bike from the ground up, and I want to do it on a budget. If you
>> were to splurge on one or two components what would they be? Dereailur? Wheelset? Fork? Brakes?
>
> Max out that card on the most expensive cassette you can find. Then never replace it.

Build the bike around an NOS 80's Campy aluminum 7-speed cassette.

Jay Hill wrote:

> Dan Connelly wrote:
>
>>
>> Adam C wrote:
>>
>>> I'm thinking of building a road bike from the ground up, and I want to do it on a budget. If you
>>> were to splurge on one or two components what would they be? Dereailur? Wheelset? Fork? Brakes?
>>
>>
>> Max out that card on the most expensive cassette you can find. Then never replace it.
>
>
> Build the bike around an NOS 80's Campy aluminum 7-speed cassette.
>

I'd suggest shopping for Campy 8 or 9 speed stuff. I see a lot of eq. going cheep as everyone seems
to only want 10 speed.

"Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
> > Also what components can I get away with going cheap on?
> >
>
> Shifters.

Disagree ... get a good chain (PC-99), cassette shifters and rear derailleur ... a quality wheel
with a sealed hub (like Mavic's line up) ... go less on the front and crank ... i would spend a
little on the BB so it's smooth.

s http://boardnbike.com

Thanks for all the input...its been very helpful!

Adam

"Adam C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of building a road bike from the ground up, and I want to do
it
> on a budget. If you were to splurge on one or two components what would
they
> be? Dereailur? Wheelset? Fork? Brakes? Also what components can I get away with going cheap on?
>
> Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.