What computer magnets can mount on bladed spokes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dt, Apr 10, 2003.

  1. Dt

    Dt Guest

    Hi all,

    I have bladed spokes and none of the computers I've seen at the LBS have magnets that fit bladed
    spokes. What can I do in this case?

    Thanks, David

    Tags:

  2. Pete Russell

    Pete Russell Guest

    Use the round ones that mount with a single screw and file a bit where the spoke rest's.

    ........ .......
    ! ! ! !
    ! ! ! !
    ! <.....> !
    ! ...............!
    not sure if this drawing is going to come through ok but the screw would come in from the top and
    the < > is the area you file

    Pete

    "DT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]t...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have bladed spokes and none of the computers I've seen at the LBS have magnets that fit bladed
    > spokes. What can I do in this case?
    >
    > Thanks, David

  3. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "DT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] irnews.net...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have bladed spokes and none of the computers I've seen
    at the LBS have
    > magnets that fit bladed spokes. What can I do in this
    case?

    > Thanks, David

    I put the magnet at the very top of the spokes (closest to the rim) - the bladed spokes on the bike
    I have are rounded there as they transition into the threaded end....

  4. Cbike

    Cbike Guest

    If the magnet you have is metal with a slit that a screw threads into we do the following. Using a
    drill bit the same diameter as the wide part of the bladed spoke drill the base of the slot. This
    leaves the threads intact for the screw. The magnet then slids onto the spoke and turned 90 degrees
    allowing the screw to be lightly tightened against the spoke. Charlie

  5. Chuan Chew

    Chuan Chew Guest

    In article <[email protected]t>, "DT"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have bladed spokes and none of the computers I've seen at the LBS have magnets that fit bladed
    > spokes. What can I do in this case?
    >
    > Thanks, David

    Recently manufactured Echo computers (well, at least the wireless W-1 which I bought) have a magnet
    that is slotted for bladed spokes. But you'd have to check before buying, to avoid ending up with
    older stock.

    --Chuan

  6. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Pete Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Use the round ones that mount with a single screw and file a bit where the spoke rest's.
    >

    > ........ .......
    > ! ! ! !
    > ! ! ! !
    > ! <.....> !
    > ! ...............!
    > not sure if this drawing is going to come through ok but the screw would come in from the top and
    > the < > is the area you file
    >
    > Pete
    >
    > "DT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]t...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I have bladed spokes and none of the computers I've seen at the LBS have magnets that fit bladed
    > > spokes. What can I do in this case?
    > >
    > > Thanks, David

    This works great. To make it even easier just use a small drill bit, coming in from each side. Two
    minutes and your done. Bill Brannon

  7. "DT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]t>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have bladed spokes and none of the computers I've seen at the LBS have magnets that fit bladed
    > spokes. What can I do in this case?

    I'm sure Mavic do a special magnet (to work with other makers' computers) designed for their
    Ksyriums with bladed Zicral spokes.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  8. DT-<< I have bladed spokes and none of the computers I've seen at the LBS have magnets that fit
    bladed spokes. What can I do in this case?

    Cateye makes one..with a little patch of sticky and a zip tie-

  9. Cy Galley

    Cy Galley Guest

    I have a little snap-on magnet that came with my Shimano WT-7700 with bladed spokes. Very small and
    you don't even notice it unless you know its there.

    --

    Cy Galley - Webmaster www.qcbc.org

    > DT-<< I have bladed spokes and none of the computers I've seen at the LBS
    have
    > magnets that fit bladed spokes. What can I do in this case?
    >
    > Cateye makes one..with a little patch of sticky and a zip tie-

  10. Bikefixr

    Bikefixr Guest

    Get a magnet from an older CatEye Vectra, CC6000, CC7000, Micro from the late 80's and into the
    mid-90's. It folds, uses a single screw to clamp onto the spoke. Works fine on blades.