What conclusion would you jump to?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MSA, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. MSA

    MSA Guest

    I've always prided myself on not jumping to conclusions, perhaps it the
    work I do, perhaps it's the many years of Usenet posting that has
    fostered this, I don't know. Anyway, what would you make of this:

    Tonight I was out running (as I do most evenings when it is too wet,
    windy to cycle). 50 minutes into my run I overtook a cyclist on the
    pavement. The guy was about 16, dressed in a Parker jacket, jeans,
    trainers, had long unkempt hair..and generally looked scruffy. The bike
    had no lights, the bike was dirty.

    OK, so what's he getting at I hear you say. Well, the bike was a 2004
    Litespeed Siena (titanium), it had Profile carbon tri bars, and Cosmic
    Carbone wheels. Now for those not in the know, I guess we are talking
    about £3500 of gear?

    5 minutes later he came past me as we neared some shops. He rode ahead,
    jumped off at the fish shop and put the bike up against the wall and
    went in. I noticed the back tyre was nearly flat, perhaps that's why he
    was riding slowly?

    Right, I think you see where I'm coming from. What are your thoughts on
    this? I know what mine are, but like I said, I try not to jump to
    conclusions, or judge people on looks alone....hard this time I know!

    --
    Mark (MSA)
    Remember, half the people you know are below average

    Tags:

  2. Vivian

    Vivian Guest

    Yup, he nicked it. Otherwise, he would have locked it. I mean, you spent
    £3,500 on a bike you don't leave it leaning against the wall not even for 30
    miliseconds. I'm electrifying the thing if it was mine!

    --
    Vivian
    -------

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've always prided myself on not jumping to conclusions, perhaps it the
    > work I do, perhaps it's the many years of Usenet posting that has
    > fostered this, I don't know. Anyway, what would you make of this:
    >
    > Tonight I was out running (as I do most evenings when it is too wet,
    > windy to cycle). 50 minutes into my run I overtook a cyclist on the
    > pavement. The guy was about 16, dressed in a Parker jacket, jeans,
    > trainers, had long unkempt hair..and generally looked scruffy. The bike
    > had no lights, the bike was dirty.
    >
    > OK, so what's he getting at I hear you say. Well, the bike was a 2004
    > Litespeed Siena (titanium), it had Profile carbon tri bars, and Cosmic
    > Carbone wheels. Now for those not in the know, I guess we are talking
    > about £3500 of gear?
    >
    > 5 minutes later he came past me as we neared some shops. He rode ahead,
    > jumped off at the fish shop and put the bike up against the wall and
    > went in. I noticed the back tyre was nearly flat, perhaps that's why he
    > was riding slowly?
    >
    > Right, I think you see where I'm coming from. What are your thoughts on
    > this? I know what mine are, but like I said, I try not to jump to
    > conclusions, or judge people on looks alone....hard this time I know!
    >

    > --
    > Mark (MSA)
    > Remember, half the people you know are below average

  3. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Vivian wrote:
    > Yup, he nicked it. Otherwise, he would have locked it. I mean, you spent
    > £3,500 on a bike you don't leave it leaning against the wall not even for 30
    > miliseconds. I'm electrifying the thing if it was mine!

    So he has a nice bike? So what. WHen I was a teenager, my mate and I
    would ride around on decent road bikes in jeans, looking 'normal'. By
    decent road bike, he was on a cannondale (in 198x) which were not cheap
    by any stretch of the imagination.

    By the sound of it, he may have bought it, been given it etc. but it's
    origins are quite possibly murky. Should have offered to pump the tyres
    up for him ;-)

    ...d

    > -------
    > "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
    > No Surrender
    >
    > "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I've always prided myself on not jumping to conclusions, perhaps it the
    >>work I do, perhaps it's the many years of Usenet posting that has
    >>fostered this, I don't know. Anyway, what would you make of this:
    >>
    >>Tonight I was out running (as I do most evenings when it is too wet,
    >>windy to cycle). 50 minutes into my run I overtook a cyclist on the
    >>pavement. The guy was about 16, dressed in a Parker jacket, jeans,
    >>trainers, had long unkempt hair..and generally looked scruffy. The bike
    >>had no lights, the bike was dirty.
    >>
    >>OK, so what's he getting at I hear you say. Well, the bike was a 2004
    >>Litespeed Siena (titanium), it had Profile carbon tri bars, and Cosmic
    >>Carbone wheels. Now for those not in the know, I guess we are talking
    >>about £3500 of gear?
    >>
    >>5 minutes later he came past me as we neared some shops. He rode ahead,
    >>jumped off at the fish shop and put the bike up against the wall and
    >>went in. I noticed the back tyre was nearly flat, perhaps that's why he
    >>was riding slowly?
    >>
    >>Right, I think you see where I'm coming from. What are your thoughts on
    >>this? I know what mine are, but like I said, I try not to jump to
    >>conclusions, or judge people on looks alone....hard this time I know!
    >>

    >>--
    >>Mark (MSA)
    >>Remember, half the people you know are below average

  4. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, MSA
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Right, I think you see where I'm coming from.  What are your thoughts
    > on this?  I know what mine are, but like I said, I try not to jump to
    > conclusions, or judge people on looks alone....hard this time I know!

    The bike was stolen - not necessarily by the lad you saw on it. But
    people with bikes like that don't treat them like that. You should
    report it. Somebody is missing that bike.

    ' ' <------- this blank intentionally spaced left

  5. Paul Rose

    Paul Rose Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > snip <
    > Right, I think you see where I'm coming from. What are your thoughts on
    > this? I know what mine are, but like I said, I try not to jump to
    > conclusions, or judge people on looks alone....hard this time I know!

    Should have jumped on it while he was in the fish shop and rode it to the
    Police station. If it was his he would more than likely report it to the the
    Police and get it back. If it was nicked he wouldn't and hopefully the
    rightful owner (who had probably already reported it missing), would get it
    back. The bonus of course is if no one claimed it, you have a new bike :eek:)

    --
    Regards, Paul (R)
    My Lake District walking site:

  6. "Paul Rose" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> snip <
    >> Right, I think you see where I'm coming from. What are your
    >> thoughts on this? I know what mine are, but like I said, I try not
    >> to jump to conclusions, or judge people on looks alone....hard this
    >> time I know!

    > Should have jumped on it while he was in the fish shop and rode it to
    > the Police station. If it was his he would more than likely report it
    > to the the Police and get it back. If it was nicked he wouldn't and
    > hopefully the rightful owner (who had probably already reported it
    > missing), would get it back. The bonus of course is if no one claimed
    > it, you have a new bike :eek:)

    The only trouble is that by jumping on it and riding it are you not yourself
    "stealing" it!

  7. On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:35:29 -0000, MSA <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >Right, I think you see where I'm coming from. What are your thoughts on
    >this? I know what mine are, but like I said, I try not to jump to
    >conclusions, or judge people on looks alone....hard this time I know!

    I think the answer was in the question. I'd have phoned plod.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  8. Paul Rose

    Paul Rose Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Paul Rose" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> snip <
    > >> Right, I think you see where I'm coming from. What are your
    > >> thoughts on this? I know what mine are, but like I said, I try not
    > >> to jump to conclusions, or judge people on looks alone....hard this
    > >> time I know!

    > > Should have jumped on it while he was in the fish shop and rode it to
    > > the Police station. If it was his he would more than likely report it
    > > to the the Police and get it back. If it was nicked he wouldn't and
    > > hopefully the rightful owner (who had probably already reported it
    > > missing), would get it back. The bonus of course is if no one claimed
    > > it, you have a new bike :eek:)

    > The only trouble is that by jumping on it and riding it are you not

    yourself
    > "stealing" it!

    Technically, yes! However, I would care to think of it as not so much as
    stealing it but rather temporarily transporting it to the Police for,
    hopefully, the rightful owner to collect it.

    Seriously though, I probably wouldn't have done it :eek:)

    --
    Regards, Paul (R)
    My Lake District walking site:
    www.lakelandwalker.co.uk

  9. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:

    > "Paul Rose" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>snip <
    >>>Right, I think you see where I'm coming from. What are your
    >>>thoughts on this? I know what mine are, but like I said, I try not
    >>>to jump to conclusions, or judge people on looks alone....hard this
    >>>time I know!

    >>Should have jumped on it while he was in the fish shop and rode it to
    >>the Police station. If it was his he would more than likely report it
    >>to the the Police and get it back. If it was nicked he wouldn't and
    >>hopefully the rightful owner (who had probably already reported it
    >>missing), would get it back. The bonus of course is if no one claimed
    >>it, you have a new bike :eek:)

    > The only trouble is that by jumping on it and riding it are you not yourself
    > "stealing" it!

    Appropiating it perhaps.

  10. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Adrian Boliston
    <[email protected]> writes
    >"Paul Rose" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> snip <
    >>> Right, I think you see where I'm coming from. What are your
    >>> thoughts on this? I know what mine are, but like I said, I try not
    >>> to jump to conclusions, or judge people on looks alone....hard this
    >>> time I know!

    >> Should have jumped on it while he was in the fish shop and rode it to
    >> the Police station. If it was his he would more than likely report it
    >> to the the Police and get it back. If it was nicked he wouldn't and
    >> hopefully the rightful owner (who had probably already reported it
    >> missing), would get it back. The bonus of course is if no one claimed
    >> it, you have a new bike :eek:)

    >The only trouble is that by jumping on it and riding it are you not yourself
    >"stealing" it!

    It is only theft (or at least this was the situation when I had occasion
    to know) if you intend to permanently deprive someone of their property.

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  11. JLB

    JLB Guest

    Tosspot wrote:
    > Adrian Boliston wrote:
    >
    >> The only trouble is that by jumping on it and riding it are you not
    >> yourself "stealing" it!

    > Appropiating it perhaps.

    Stealing requires an intention to permanently deprive the owner, hence
    it would not be stealing.

    That's why a new offence "taking without owner's consent" was
    introduced, after all car thieves learnt to say they had only "borrowed"
    the car and intended to return it.

    --
    Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

  12. Claire

    Claire Guest

    MSA <[email protected]> writes:
    >The guy was about 16, dressed in a Parker jacket, jeans,
    >trainers, had long unkempt hair..and generally looked scruffy. The bike
    >had no lights, the bike was dirty.

    <..>
    >I guess we are talking about £3500 of gear?
    >
    >5 minutes later he came past me as we neared some shops. He rode ahead,
    >jumped off at the fish shop and put the bike up against the wall and
    >went in. I noticed the back tyre was nearly flat, perhaps that's why he
    >was riding slowly?

    I guess area would have a bearing on things? Round my way, there's no
    shortage of kids whose parents would have the cash to buy something like that
    for them, and they have little or no appreciation of what they've been
    given. Scruffy looking is neither here nor there these days.

    If I was concerned, I would have maybe given the local police a call to raise
    my suspicions, but I wouldn't have expected them to actually do anything
    about it.

    Claire
    --
    Still prettiest by far.

  13. davek

    davek Guest

    MSA wrote:
    > Right, I think you see where I'm coming from. What are your thoughts

    on
    > this? I know what mine are, but like I said, I try not to jump to
    > conclusions, or judge people on looks alone....hard this time I know!

    Fwiw, I probably would have done the same as you - ie think about it,
    come to the same conclusion then take no action.

    You could have phoned the police, I suppose, but what are the chances
    of the chap with the bike waiting around for them to turn up? I would
    pop down to the police station today, though, and give them a
    description of the chap you saw - you never know, it might help, though
    I doubt it.

    Surely the only thing you can realistically do in this situation is
    hope the bike's true owner had good insurance.

    d.

  14. On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:35:29 -0000, MSA wrote:

    > What are your thoughts on
    > this?

    He borrowed it. Perhaps his brother's a triathlete and hasn't made him
    aware of the bike's value.

    --
    Michael MacClancy

  15. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    MSA composed the following;:

    > Right, I think you see where I'm coming from. What are your thoughts on
    > this? I know what mine are, but like I said, I try not to jump to
    > conclusions, or judge people on looks alone....hard this time I know!

    There are loads of 'youths' around here who ride very, and I mean as good as
    you say above, good, well-specc'ed bikes. They all dress as you say, they
    all leave their bikes as you say.

    Personally I think you're jumping to conclusions with no real substance to
    them.

    My own kids treat their bikes horrendously when they're not with us, I know
    'cos I see the scratches etc, and those, while not in the same league as
    that mentioned, are still expensive bikes.

    Kids just see it as a bike. If it has carbon bits, well it's a bike with
    carbon bits. Just 'cos you or I might drool over some of the bits doesn't
    negate the fact that the bikes are theirs, possibly bought with parents
    money, to do with as they please .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    www.4x4prejudice.org

  16. half-baked

    half-baked Guest

    MSA wrote:
    > Right, I think you see where I'm coming from. What are your thoughts on
    > this? I know what mine are, but like I said, I try not to jump to
    > conclusions, or judge people on looks alone....hard this time I know!

    You wander up to the bike as it's leaning on the wall next to the fish
    shop, looking at it with covetous glances. When the owner comes out you
    praise the machine - after all, if you own a bike like that you're going
    to be more than willing to talk about it, aren't you? Start discussing
    the components, the improvements to your 10m/hour figures and all the
    rest of it.

    After which point it's easy to prove or refute your concerns.

  17. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    half-baked <[email protected]> wrote:

    : After which point

    Yoof gets back on bike and f*** off, maybe punching you on the way.

    Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
    lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

  18. MSA wrote:

    > I've always prided myself on not jumping to conclusions, perhaps it the
    > work I do, perhaps it's the many years of Usenet posting that has
    > fostered this, I don't know. Anyway, what would you make of this:
    >
    > Tonight I was out running (as I do most evenings when it is too wet,
    > windy to cycle). 50 minutes into my run I overtook a cyclist on the
    > pavement. The guy was about 16, dressed in a Parker jacket, jeans,
    > trainers, had long unkempt hair..and generally looked scruffy. The bike
    > had no lights, the bike was dirty.

    I doubt the police would be interested, although they should be; the
    bike could have been sold for drug money. Not much you can do, I don't
    think, and there's still a reasonable chance it's legit.

  19. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > half-baked <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : After which point
    >
    > Yoof gets back on bike and f*** off, maybe punching you on the way.

    why not get one of those Qentis bikes off e-bay, paint it Litespeed colour
    with decals (if they are unpanited ally buy the even cheaper one), dirty it
    up a bit and swap it next time he leaves it outside the chippy?

  20. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > MSA wrote:
    >
    > > I've always prided myself on not jumping to conclusions, perhaps it the
    > > work I do, perhaps it's the many years of Usenet posting that has
    > > fostered this, I don't know. Anyway, what would you make of this:
    > >
    > > Tonight I was out running (as I do most evenings when it is too wet,
    > > windy to cycle). 50 minutes into my run I overtook a cyclist on the
    > > pavement. The guy was about 16, dressed in a Parker jacket, jeans,
    > > trainers, had long unkempt hair..and generally looked scruffy. The bike
    > > had no lights, the bike was dirty.

    > I doubt the police would be interested, although they should be; the
    > bike could have been sold for drug money. Not much you can do, I don't
    > think, and there's still a reasonable chance it's legit.

    One of my colleagues was a special constable in Saarf London; it was policy
    not to stop drivers of Porsches Ferraris etc because they were always legit;
    although the money that purchased them.......