What constitutes "a ride?"

Roy Keane

Jul 22, 2006
How do you define a single ride?

For instance, if I go for 15 miles, get off the bike to eat a gel and stretch my legs for 5 minutes, then go 15 miles back, is that one 30 mile ride or two 15 mile rides?

What if I went 25 miles, got off the bike for 1/2 hour to eat lunch, then rode another 25 miles....is that a single 50 mile ride?

I acknowledge in advance that this is a stupid question with no bearing whatsoever on the state of the universe, but I'd like to know what you think anyway.

Roy Keane said:
For instance, if I go for 15 miles, get off the bike to eat a gel and stretch my legs for 5 minutes, then go 15 miles back, is that one 30 mile ride or two 15 mile rides?
One.

Roy Keane said:
What if I went 25 miles, got off the bike for 1/2 hour to eat lunch, then rode another 25 miles....is that a single 50 mile ride?
Yes, single ride.

Roy Keane said:
I acknowledge in advance that this is a stupid question with no bearing whatsoever on the state of the universe, but I'd like to know what you think anyway.
At least you recognize it. ;):D

If I had to come up with a succinct working definition, I'd say that if I didn't get out of my cycling clothes/shorts during the break(s), then I'm still on the same ride when I get back on the bike.

frenchyge said:
If I had to come up with a succinct working definition, I'd say that if I didn't get out of my cycling clothes/shorts during the break(s), then I'm still on the same ride when I get back on the bike.
I like that - works for me!

Of course, I'm desperate enough to stay in the same clothes over the 5 days it would take me to complete a century at this point;)