What constitutes high mileage on road bike component

6BroadwayBiking

Sep 21, 2011
My friend is looking at buying a Cannondale CAAD8 from a shop that is selling them, but they are rentals from 2011. I guess I have a couple questions.

1. Does anybody have reviews on the CAAD8? Keep in mind my friend is just starting to get into road biking
2. Does anybody have opinions about buying a rental bike? Is this just a bad idea, or can he get a good deal?
3. What constitutes high mileage for Tiagra components? I was thinking 3-5 thousand, but thats a bit of a guess.

Thanks for the help.

6BroadwayBiking said:
My friend is looking at buying a Cannondale CAAD8 from a shop that is selling them, but they are rentals from 2011. I guess I have a couple questions.
1. Does anybody have reviews on the CAAD8? Keep in mind my friend is just starting to get into road biking
2. Does anybody have opinions about buying a rental bike? Is this just a bad idea, or can he get a good deal?
3. What constitutes high mileage for Tiagra components? I was thinking 3-5 thousand, but thats a bit of a guess.
Thanks for the help.
1. If you google "CAAD8 reviews", a bunch of links to reviews will pop up. In short though, the frame is an excellent frame. Users of CAAD frames, as a group, seem pretty chuffed with their choices. 2. Actually, buying a rental bike is likely to be a better option than buying a used bike from a private seller as the bike shop is likely--and perhaps more likely than a private owner--to have taken excellent care of said bike. A good deal can certainly be had. 3. I wouldn't worry about mileage on the components as that's not really going to tell you much. Their current condition and how they operate now are the most important factors. In general though, group sets should last much longer than 3-5000 miles. It takes a long time and a lot of miles to wear out a derailleur, hub set, crank set, and etc. The components with the shortest life spans are chains, cassette cogs, chain rings, and of course tires and inner tubes. Your friend might be able to talk the shop into a good deal on a new chain, a new cassette, and perhaps new chain rings if you're concerned about them. The limiting factors on how good a deal the bike will be will be how the bike fits your friend, how the bike rides, and whether or not it fits in the budget. This assumes that the components are in good nick.

I agree with alienator if the price is good and it fits I wouldn't worry about anything else.

CAAD8 is an excellent frame, if there is no visible damage you be sure it'll last many more years. They are not built to a price like budget frames.

I agree with everyone else here too. Buy the Rental and save money. 3 to 5 thousand miles is nothing, tires last about that long; biking hobby would be horribly expensive if components only lasted as long as tires!!! If that was the case I know I wouldn't be cycling, some of the more well to do here may not care.

6BroadwayBiking said:
This was very helpful. Thanks guys!
When you get your bike snap some piccies and post them in the Show Me a Photo of Your Road Bike thread. Everyone likes seeing pictures of new bikes, and most people like to show off piccies of their new bikes. It's kind of like the way people like to post videos of their trophy wives on YouTube and on **** sites.