Riders who race again later in life re-enter a changed field with changed bodies, and the first result on the board may not be the most useful measure of the day. I’d count a composed, predictable ride in the group as worthwhile in its own right, rather than making the placing the only measure. A return does not have to answer every question at once; setting one manageable aim for the day seems more helpful than treating the result as a verdict.
For riders who have returned, what non-placing sign tells you that your first race back went well: staying composed in the bunch, riding predictably, or something else?
I’d count having one useful effort left for the decisive moment as a good sign. Predictable riding is the baseline; spending the whole race proving you still belong is a poor use of matches.
That useful effort doesn’t have to be an attack. On a first race back, I’d count being able to respond when the pace lifts or hold your place through a surge without going into the red. Saving something for a finish that never comes is less telling than having enough judgment left to spend it when the race changes.
I’d count being able to settle back into the bunch after the surge, too. A sharp response is one thing; if it leaves you hanging on for the next ten minutes, you probably spent more than you meant to.