what cycle computer to get with a road bike (Giant OCR-1)?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Yuri Budilov, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Yuri Budilov

    Yuri Budilov Guest

    Hello and apologies for asking a repeat question

    A friend of mine is in the process of buying a new 2004 road bike - likely Giant OCR-1 or similar.

    He wants to get a cycle computer with the following features in addition to basic ones

    - cadence (must have)
    - wireless (?)
    - built-in heart monitor (?)

    I wonder if there are any brands or models you might recommend? Is Shimano a good one to
    get? others?

    thanks in advance
    --
    Yuri

    Tags:

  2. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Yuri Budilov wrote:

    > He wants to get a cycle computer with the following features in addition to basic ones
    >
    > - cadence (must have)
    > - wireless (?)
    > - built-in heart monitor (?)
    >
    > I wonder if there are any brands or models you might recommend?

    The Polar series of bike computer/heart monitors is a good one. I have the 720i, which also has an
    altimeter. It doubles as a wristwatch with alarm. The PC software that comes with it is pretty
    decent. If he's interested in monitoring power, there is a power measurement option for the 720i.
    But the power option expensive.

    If he doesn't want the altimeter function, the Polar 520 model does not have it and is
    about $50 less.

    I'd estimate that the Polar 720i is the most popular computer/HRM in the local bike club, with the
    Ciclosport HAC4 a distant second.

  3. Yuri Budilov wrote:

    > A friend of mine wants to get a cycle computer with the following
    features in addition to
    > basic ones
    >
    > - cadence (must have)
    > - wireless (?)
    > - built-in heart monitor (?)
    >
    > I wonder if there are any brands or models you might recommend? Is
    Shimano a
    > good one to get? others?

    When I was out at the Quality Bicycle Products open house last weekend, I saw just the thing, a
    brand new model from CatEye.

    It uses a single chainstay-mounted wireless pickup for both speed and cadence.

    Here's some info from the Quality wholesale Website:

    CY1207 Out of stock Cat Eye Double Wireless Heart Rate Computer CC-HR200DW Chrome One heart
    rate zone, resettable total distance, resettable distance unit, lap number, lap timer, split
    timer, lap distance, lap average heart rate, lap average speed, current speed, average
    speed, max speed, current heart rate, average heart rate, max heart rate, time in zone,
    elapsed time, total time, clock time, trip distance, total distance, second elapsed time,
    second trip distance, second average speed and dual tire sizes 3 windows display 4 readouts

    You can see a picture of it at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/images/CY1207.jpg

    These haven't yet arrived in the U.S. but are expected soon. We'll offer them when they do come in.
    I expect the price will be around $160.

    There's also an optional remote button accessory available, but I don't have details on this yet.

    Sheldon "Worth The Wait?" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------------------
    +
    | In recent times, modern science has developed to give mankind, | for the first time in the
    | history of the human race, a way of | securing a more abundant life which does not simply
    | consist in | taking away from someone else. -- Karl Taylor Compton, 1938 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  4. Rosco

    Rosco Guest

    > When I was out at the Quality Bicycle Products open house last weekend, I saw just the thing, a
    > brand new model from CatEye.
    >
    > It uses a single chainstay-mounted wireless pickup for both speed and cadence.
    >
    > Here's some info from the Quality wholesale Website:
    >
    > CY1207 Out of stock Cat Eye Double Wireless Heart Rate Computer CC-HR200DW Chrome One heart rate
    > zone, resettable total distance, resettable distance unit, lap number, lap timer, split timer, lap
    > distance, lap average heart rate, lap average speed, current speed, average speed, max speed,
    > current heart rate, average heart rate, max heart rate, time in zone, elapsed time, total time,
    > clock time, trip distance, total distance, second elapsed time, second trip distance, second
    > average speed and dual tire sizes 3 windows display 4 readouts
    >
    > You can see a picture of it at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/images/CY1207.jpg
    >
    > These haven't yet arrived in the U.S. but are expected soon. We'll offer them when they do come
    > in. I expect the price will be around $160.
    >
    > There's also an optional remote button accessory available, but I don't have details on this yet.
    >
    > Sheldon "Worth The Wait?" Brown

    Sheldon,

    Did you notice if it could display speed and cadence at the same time?

    GR

  5. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:27:05 GMT, "rosco"
    <reverse-the-following"ocsor_g"@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> Cat Eye Double Wireless Heart Rate Computer CC-HR200DW Chrome One
    >
    >Did you notice if it could display speed and cadence at the same time?

    If you can survive without the mile-long feature list, the Cateye Astrale can not only display both,
    but allows you to switch which one is the big display and which the small. It also works very well
    in general -- for example, the cadence registers immediately, rather than waiting a few seconds (as
    on my Specialized and Trek computers). All that, and it's cheap too.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  6. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Yuri Budilov wrote:
    > Hello and apologies for asking a repeat question
    >
    > A friend of mine is in the process of buying a new 2004 road bike - likely Giant OCR-1 or similar.
    >
    > He wants to get a cycle computer with the following features in addition to basic ones
    >
    > - cadence (must have)
    > - wireless (?)
    > - built-in heart monitor (?)
    >
    > I wonder if there are any brands or models you might recommend? Is Shimano a good one to
    > get? others?
    >
    > thanks in advance

    I've been happy with my wireless Vetta V100HR which has ALL the features above, for ~ $130.00.

    -Zilla

  7. Eric Larsson

    Eric Larsson Guest

    Zilla <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2L8%[email protected]>...
    > Yuri Budilov wrote:
    > > Hello and apologies for asking a repeat question
    > >
    > > A friend of mine is in the process of buying a new 2004 road bike - likely Giant OCR-1 or
    > > similar.
    > >
    > > He wants to get a cycle computer with the following features in addition to basic ones
    > >
    > > - cadence (must have)
    > > - wireless (?)
    > > - built-in heart monitor (?)
    > >
    > > I wonder if there are any brands or models you might recommend? Is Shimano a good one to get?
    > > others?
    > >
    > > thanks in advance

    Consider not getting the HRM built in to the computer. It's nice to have the option of wearing it on
    your wrist for cross training. The exception are the Polar models- but they are expensive.

    For the necessary bike functions including cadence I like the Cateye Astrale for value. The only
    thing to consider is whether you will use it on a trainer. If so, try to find the older model that
    has a rear wheel speed sensor. Otherwise, the Astrale 8 is fine with the front wheel speed sensor.

  8. Smmb

    Smmb Guest

    "Eric Larsson" <[email protected]> a √©crit dans le message de :
    news:[email protected]...
    > Zilla <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<2L8%[email protected]>...
    > > Yuri Budilov wrote:
    > > > Hello and apologies for asking a repeat question
    > > >
    > > > A friend of mine is in the process of buying a new 2004 road bike -
    likely
    > > > Giant OCR-1 or similar.
    > > >
    > > > He wants to get a cycle computer with the following features in
    addition to
    > > > basic ones
    > > >
    > > > - cadence (must have)
    > > > - wireless (?)
    > > > - built-in heart monitor (?)

    > Consider not getting the HRM built in to the computer. It's nice to have the option of wearing it
    > on your wrist for cross training. The exception are the Polar models- but they are expensive.
    >
    > For the necessary bike functions including cadence I like the Cateye Astrale for value. The only
    > thing to consider is whether you will use it on a trainer. If so, try to find the older model that
    > has a rear wheel speed sensor. Otherwise, the Astrale 8 is fine with the front wheel speed sensor.

    A different point of view : I prefer them all together. No need to look elsewhere, if you are
    training with HR. The other "sport" where I get hot and sweaty doesn't require a computer at all.
    Plus, with cheap HR watches, you could always get a second.

    I just replaced my old Vetta HR 1000 with a CatEye MSCDX2 - too many features, almost. Got the
    downloading module for nearly pennies, as these two will soon be obsoleted by a newer model.
    Bargain, frankly.
    --
    Bonne route,

    Sandy Paris FR

  9. Scott

    Scott Guest

    rosco wrote:
    > "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>When I was out at the Quality Bicycle Products open house last weekend, I saw just the thing, a
    >>brand new model from CatEye.
    >>
    >>It uses a single chainstay-mounted wireless pickup for both speed and cadence.
    >>

    > Sheldon,
    >
    > Did you notice if it could display speed and cadence at the same time?
    >
    > GR

    I've put a couple of problem free rainy winters on a V100HR (wired version). My default screen shows
    heart rate, cadence and speed. I'm very pleased with it, though I still get SRM / Powertap Pro
    cravings. I set it up with the optional rear wheel speed sensor so I can have the same three data
    streams visible on my Cyclops Fluid2.

  10. "SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in news:c1l6am$mh9$1
    @news.tiscali.fr:

    > The other "sport" where I get hot and sweaty doesn't require a computer at all.

    Oh Sandy, talk dirty to me ;)

    But seriously, I'm one who likes them seperated; HRM on wrist... computer on handlebars. I can strap
    my HRM watch to the handlebars for monitoring more closely during interval training if I feel like
    it. I can also wear it on my wrist while running for cross training.

    - Boyd S.

    Tampa, FL, USA

  11. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
    > When I was out at the Quality Bicycle Products open house
    > last weekend, I saw just the thing, a brand new model
    > from CatEye.
    >
    > It uses a single chainstay-mounted wireless pickup for
    > both speed and cadence.

    I'm rather disappointed with my cheap Cateye. It's
    wireless, and most of the time it works. But when I use the
    bike to commute, a long section runs parallel to a railway
    line with overhead electrification. Parallel and close: the
    Birmingham West Suburban Railway as was, not the main line
    to Bristol and one of the main commuter routes, was built
    on spare canal land, and I am riding the towpath: at points
    the OLE earth return wire is directly over the fence
    between railway and path.

    On those sections, it just doesn't work.

    ian

  12. Bruce Graham

    Bruce Graham Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Sheldon
    > Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > When I was out at the Quality Bicycle Products open
    > > house last weekend, I saw just the thing, a brand new
    > > model from CatEye.
    > >
    > > It uses a single chainstay-mounted wireless pickup for
    > > both speed and cadence.
    >
    > I'm rather disappointed with my cheap Cateye. It's
    > wireless, and most of the time it works. But when I use
    > the bike to commute, a long section runs parallel to a
    > railway line with overhead electrification. Parallel and
    > close: the Birmingham West Suburban Railway as was, not
    > the main line to Bristol and one of the main commuter
    > routes, was built on spare canal land, and I am riding the
    > towpath: at points the OLE earth return wire is directly
    > over the fence between railway and path.
    >
    > On those sections, it just doesn't work.
    >
    > ian

    it may also have a problem with the EM pulse from a nuclear
    explosion.