What derailleur and chain shall I get?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by FuilteachUrma, Jul 7, 2014.

1. FuilteachUrma

FuilteachUrma New Member

Hello, I have a question.

A couple of weeks ago my chain begun to get very stiff and because of that it took effect on the rear derailleur. I have a Trek 1.2 series bike(I am a beginner) and I was wondering what rear derailleur and chain would suit this bike. Thanks for the help.

Tags:

2. urge2kill

urge2kill Member

Not to hijack, but are rear derailleurs all that specific? Though transferring to 10-speed, I plan to keep the Shimano RD from my 7-speed.

3. AyeYo

AyeYo Member

Yes. There's the possibility that the amount of cable pull the derailleur is intended to work with could be different, causing shifting issues. If the new derailleur doesn't move the same amount per shift lever accuation as the old derailleur, you're going to have problems.

http://sheldonbrown.com/drivetrain-mixing.shtml

4. FuilteachUrma

FuilteachUrma New Member

Thank you AyeYo.

5. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

In the Shimano lineup, all road rear derailleurs made for 8-, 9-. and 10-speed indexing have the same pull rate. All MTB rear derailleurs made for 7-, 8-, and 9-speed indexing have the same pull rate, which is the same rate as for the above-mentioned road systems. Road 11 and MTB 10 are systems unto themselves. Regarding front derailleurs, it's best to match the unit to the chain (7-8, 9, 10, or 11). And mixing road and MTB front derailleurs with crankset and shifters is an ugly can of worms that I'd rather never touch again for as long as I live. At least while I'm on the clock or somebody is waiting for it.

6. urge2kill

urge2kill Member

Thanks AyeYo and oldbobcat!

7. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Minor correction: Old Dura-Ace 7- and 8-speed is not compatible with the newer stuff (Ultegra 8-speed, Dura-Ace 9-speed, and up). Your old 7-speed Shimano derailleurs most likely will not work. Try and see, but don't stay up all night.