What derailleur?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ed, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Can anyone tell me what rear derailleur I can use on a Trek 800
    Antelope? A 9 year old kid got hold of this frame and wants me to
    help him make a bike out of it. My lnowledge is limited. The shift
    levers are Shimano and thats probably all that I know about it.
    Thanks, Ed

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Ed <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Can anyone tell me what rear derailleur I can use on a Trek 800
    > Antelope? A 9 year old kid got hold of this frame and wants me to
    > help him make a bike out of it. My lnowledge is limited. The shift
    > levers are Shimano and thats probably all that I know about it.
    > Thanks, Ed

    If you want the shifting to index correctly, you can use any Shimano
    derailleur made in the last 15 years, except for Dura-Ace. Avoid
    using older Suntour or Campagnolo derailleurs- but those are quite
    rare and/or expensive, so just about any derailleur you buy new will
    work.

    Jeff

  3. On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:44:41 -0700, Ed <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me what rear derailleur I can use on a Trek 800
    >Antelope? A 9 year old kid got hold of this frame and wants me to
    >help him make a bike out of it. My lnowledge is limited. The shift
    >levers are Shimano and thats probably all that I know about it.
    >Thanks, Ed

    Lots of inexpensive 7 speed BMX components on this page. Surprisingly
    rugged and good for starters.

    http://www.biketony007.com/services.html

    The Trek 800 is a rugged frame and some people have upgraded to rapid
    fire shifters and Deore components.