What dessert?

Lj

Guest
I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have no
idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Laura

"lj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
> no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
> gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
> I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
> dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Laura

See below,

Dimitri

Zabaglione

Ingredients:

6 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar, or to taste pinch of salt
2/2 cup marsala wine or other wine or spirit (eg. sherry,
Madeira, vermouth, sparkling or dessert wine) or combine
wine with a spirit such as bourbon, rum, or Calvados, or
other brandy, or add a favorite liqueur such as praline or
Frangelico. Citrus juice and zest, vanilla, or ground
ginger or other spices may be added along with the wine.

In a round-bottomed copper zabaglione pan or the top pan
of a double boiler, bombine the egg yolks, sugar and
salt. Using a wire whisk or hand-held mixer, beat until
the eggs are pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Slowly
whisk in the wine.

Place over gently simmering (not boiling) water. Continue
to beat constantly until the custard is thick and doubled
in volume, 5 to 8 minutes; it should just hold its shape.
Spoon into stemmed glasses or pour into custard cups and
serve warm.

Makes 4 servings.

VARIATIONS: For a lighter custard, beat 6 egg whites until
stiff peaks form. Fold them into the warm custard just
before serving.

For a cold dessert that holds its shape, remove the warm
custard from the heat and place the pan in a bowl of ice
cubes to cool rapidly. beat 2 cups heavy (whipping) cram
until it holds its shape. Using a rubber spatula, fold the
whipped ream into the custard. Cover and chill or freeze.
Remove from the freezer a few minutes before serving.

Serve with fresh beries, sliced peaches or nectarines,
poached pears, or candied fruits. Or offer biscotti or other
cookies for dipping into the custard.

lj <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
> no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
> gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
> I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
> dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

How about cannoli?

lj <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
> no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
> gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
> I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
> dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

How about cannoli?

The best fruit available to you whether that's strawberries
or pineapple or peaches or anything else plus a rich
flourless chocolate cake (serve only a small wedge of this)
and light sugar cookies. This is my standby after filling
meals. The dieters always appreciate the fruit. Everyone
else takes a little of everything.

--Lia

lj wrote:
> I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
> no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
> gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
> I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
> dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Laura

"lj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
> no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
> gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
> I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
> dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Laura

A light sorbet...ginger, perhaps?

Paula www.tekakwitha.org

"lj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
> no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
> gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
> I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
> dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Laura

A light sorbet...ginger, perhaps?

Paula www.tekakwitha.org

> "lj" laura writes:
>
>I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
>no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
>gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling
>so I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on
>the dairy).

This is really good, and refreshing, make lots, they're kind
of addictive too.

BLUE MARTINI ICE POPS Gins that emphasize fruit botanicals,
such as Tanqueray No. Ten, work best with this recipe.
Active time: 25 minutes Start to finish: 1 day

1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup sugar 6 strips fresh lemon zest (1/2 lemon) 3
tablespoons gin 2 tablespoons dry vermouth 1 tablespoon
blue Curaçao

Special equipment: 5 (1/3-cup) ice pop molds and 5
wooden sticks

Simmer water, sugar, and zest in a small saucepan, stirring,
until sugar is dissolved. Cool syrup, then stir in gin,
vermouth, and Curaçao. Discard zest. Pour into molds and
freeze at least 24 hours. Add sticks when mixture is slushy,
about 1 hour.

Makes 5 (1/3-cup) ice pops

Gourmet August 2000
---

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

> "lj" laura writes:
>
>I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
>no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
>gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling
>so I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on
>the dairy).

This is really good, and refreshing, make lots, they're kind
of addictive too.

BLUE MARTINI ICE POPS Gins that emphasize fruit botanicals,
such as Tanqueray No. Ten, work best with this recipe.
Active time: 25 minutes Start to finish: 1 day

1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup sugar 6 strips fresh lemon zest (1/2 lemon) 3
tablespoons gin 2 tablespoons dry vermouth 1 tablespoon
blue Curaçao

Special equipment: 5 (1/3-cup) ice pop molds and 5
wooden sticks

Simmer water, sugar, and zest in a small saucepan, stirring,
until sugar is dissolved. Cool syrup, then stir in gin,
vermouth, and Curaçao. Discard zest. Pour into molds and
freeze at least 24 hours. Add sticks when mixture is slushy,
about 1 hour.

Makes 5 (1/3-cup) ice pops

Gourmet August 2000
---

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
> no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
> gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
> I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
> dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Laura

Key Lime Pie? It's one of the simplest of desserts to make,
is light, and you can use a meringue instead of whipped
cream topping if you don't want any dairy.

Let me know if you'd like a recipe.
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
hopes they are.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, lj wrote:

> I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
> no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
> gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
> I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
> dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Chinese desserts are usually light. My favourite is a light
chiffon sheet cake, two layers, filled with a raspberry and
blueberry compote and frosted with a whipped cream then
topped with fresh berries.

I made it recently for a friend but I don't have the recipe
handy. I basically took a chiffon cake recipe, made it a
sheet cake and then cooked down the berries with some sugar
to make the compote. The whipped cream was just 35% B.F.
whipped up. If you want to stabilize it add some clear
gelatin. If you are serving it right away then you don't
need to stabilize
it.

--
Send e-mail to: darrell at cs dot toronto dot edu Don't send
e-mail to [email protected]

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, lj wrote:

> I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
> no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
> gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
> I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
> dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Chinese desserts are usually light. My favourite is a light
chiffon sheet cake, two layers, filled with a raspberry and
blueberry compote and frosted with a whipped cream then
topped with fresh berries.

I made it recently for a friend but I don't have the recipe
handy. I basically took a chiffon cake recipe, made it a
sheet cake and then cooked down the berries with some sugar
to make the compote. The whipped cream was just 35% B.F.
whipped up. If you want to stabilize it add some clear
gelatin. If you are serving it right away then you don't
need to stabilize
it.

--
Send e-mail to: darrell at cs dot toronto dot edu Don't send
e-mail to [email protected]

at Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:48:17 GMT in
<[email protected]>,
[email protected]
(lj) wrote :

>I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
>no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
>gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
>I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
>dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

If you have an ice cream maker, I'd go for a fruit sorbetto.
Do something with some zing - like raspberry, lemon, lime,
orange, etc.

If it's cold out, consider a fruit souffle, which does
involve some preparation after dinner - just as well, to
allow everyone to digest a heavy main meal.

--
Alex Rast [email protected] (remove d., .7,
not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

(lj) wrote :

>I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
>no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
>gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
>I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
>dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

If you have an ice cream maker, I'd go for a fruit sorbetto.
Do something with some zing - like raspberry, lemon, lime,
orange, etc.

If it's cold out, consider a fruit souffle, which does
involve some preparation after dinner - just as well, to
allow everyone to digest a heavy main meal.

--
Alex Rast [email protected] (remove d., .7,
not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

"lj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
> no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
> gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
> I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
> dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Laura

I'm thinking some type of crepes. Maybe blackberry with a
custard sauce.

Suzan

"lj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
> no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
> gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
> I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
> dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Laura

I'm thinking some type of crepes. Maybe blackberry with a
custard sauce.

Suzan

>[email protected] wrote: I'm having some
>friends over for dinner tomorrow and have no idea what to
>serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato gnocchi with
>lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so I'm looking
>for something light (and not too heavy on the dairy). Does
>anyone have any recommendations?

Chilled poached pears.

Or a pear sorbet.

Or a fresh fruit salad with Italian lady fingers
(Savoiardi).