What dessert?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Lj, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Lj

    Lj Guest

    I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have no
    idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

    Thanks!

    Laura

    Tags:

  2. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "lj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    > no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    > gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    > I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    > dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Laura

    See below,

    Dimitri

    Zabaglione

    Ingredients:

    6 egg yolks
    1/3 cup sugar, or to taste pinch of salt
    2/2 cup marsala wine or other wine or spirit (eg. sherry,
    Madeira, vermouth, sparkling or dessert wine) or combine
    wine with a spirit such as bourbon, rum, or Calvados, or
    other brandy, or add a favorite liqueur such as praline or
    Frangelico. Citrus juice and zest, vanilla, or ground
    ginger or other spices may be added along with the wine.

    In a round-bottomed copper zabaglione pan or the top pan
    of a double boiler, bombine the egg yolks, sugar and
    salt. Using a wire whisk or hand-held mixer, beat until
    the eggs are pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Slowly
    whisk in the wine.

    Place over gently simmering (not boiling) water. Continue
    to beat constantly until the custard is thick and doubled
    in volume, 5 to 8 minutes; it should just hold its shape.
    Spoon into stemmed glasses or pour into custard cups and
    serve warm.

    Makes 4 servings.

    VARIATIONS: For a lighter custard, beat 6 egg whites until
    stiff peaks form. Fold them into the warm custard just
    before serving.

    For a cold dessert that holds its shape, remove the warm
    custard from the heat and place the pan in a bowl of ice
    cubes to cool rapidly. beat 2 cups heavy (whipping) cram
    until it holds its shape. Using a rubber spatula, fold the
    whipped ream into the custard. Cover and chill or freeze.
    Remove from the freezer a few minutes before serving.

    Serve with fresh beries, sliced peaches or nectarines,
    poached pears, or candied fruits. Or offer biscotti or other
    cookies for dipping into the custard.

  3. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "lj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    > no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    > gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    > I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    > dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Laura

    See below,

    Dimitri

    Zabaglione

    Ingredients:

    6 egg yolks
    1/3 cup sugar, or to taste pinch of salt
    2/2 cup marsala wine or other wine or spirit (eg. sherry,
    Madeira, vermouth, sparkling or dessert wine) or combine
    wine with a spirit such as bourbon, rum, or Calvados, or
    other brandy, or add a favorite liqueur such as praline or
    Frangelico. Citrus juice and zest, vanilla, or ground
    ginger or other spices may be added along with the wine.

    In a round-bottomed copper zabaglione pan or the top pan
    of a double boiler, bombine the egg yolks, sugar and
    salt. Using a wire whisk or hand-held mixer, beat until
    the eggs are pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Slowly
    whisk in the wine.

    Place over gently simmering (not boiling) water. Continue
    to beat constantly until the custard is thick and doubled
    in volume, 5 to 8 minutes; it should just hold its shape.
    Spoon into stemmed glasses or pour into custard cups and
    serve warm.

    Makes 4 servings.

    VARIATIONS: For a lighter custard, beat 6 egg whites until
    stiff peaks form. Fold them into the warm custard just
    before serving.

    For a cold dessert that holds its shape, remove the warm
    custard from the heat and place the pan in a bowl of ice
    cubes to cool rapidly. beat 2 cups heavy (whipping) cram
    until it holds its shape. Using a rubber spatula, fold the
    whipped ream into the custard. Cover and chill or freeze.
    Remove from the freezer a few minutes before serving.

    Serve with fresh beries, sliced peaches or nectarines,
    poached pears, or candied fruits. Or offer biscotti or other
    cookies for dipping into the custard.

  4. stan

    stan Guest

    lj <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    > no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    > gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    > I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    > dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

    How about cannoli?

  5. stan

    stan Guest

    lj <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    > no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    > gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    > I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    > dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

    How about cannoli?

  6. The best fruit available to you whether that's strawberries
    or pineapple or peaches or anything else plus a rich
    flourless chocolate cake (serve only a small wedge of this)
    and light sugar cookies. This is my standby after filling
    meals. The dieters always appreciate the fruit. Everyone
    else takes a little of everything.

    --Lia

    lj wrote:
    > I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    > no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    > gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    > I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    > dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Laura

  7. The best fruit available to you whether that's strawberries

    lj wrote:
    > I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    > no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    > gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    > I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    > dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Laura

  8. Paulagarlic

    Paulagarlic Guest

    "lj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    > no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    > gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    > I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    > dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Laura

    A light sorbet...ginger, perhaps?

    Paula www.tekakwitha.org

  9. Paulagarlic

    Paulagarlic Guest

    "lj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    > no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    > gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    > I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    > dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Laura

    A light sorbet...ginger, perhaps?

    Paula www.tekakwitha.org

  10. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    > "lj" laura writes:
    >
    >I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    >no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    >gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling
    >so I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on
    >the dairy).

    This is really good, and refreshing, make lots, they're kind
    of addictive too.

    BLUE MARTINI ICE POPS Gins that emphasize fruit botanicals,
    such as Tanqueray No. Ten, work best with this recipe.
    Active time: 25 minutes Start to finish: 1 day

    1 1/2 cups water
    1/4 cup sugar 6 strips fresh lemon zest (1/2 lemon) 3
    tablespoons gin 2 tablespoons dry vermouth 1 tablespoon
    blue Curaçao

    Special equipment: 5 (1/3-cup) ice pop molds and 5
    wooden sticks

    Simmer water, sugar, and zest in a small saucepan, stirring,
    until sugar is dissolved. Cool syrup, then stir in gin,
    vermouth, and Curaçao. Discard zest. Pour into molds and
    freeze at least 24 hours. Add sticks when mixture is slushy,
    about 1 hour.

    Makes 5 (1/3-cup) ice pops

    Gourmet August 2000
    ---

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  11. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    > "lj" laura writes:
    >
    >I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    >no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    >gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling
    >so I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on
    >the dairy).

    This is really good, and refreshing, make lots, they're kind
    of addictive too.

    BLUE MARTINI ICE POPS Gins that emphasize fruit botanicals,
    such as Tanqueray No. Ten, work best with this recipe.
    Active time: 25 minutes Start to finish: 1 day

    1 1/2 cups water
    1/4 cup sugar 6 strips fresh lemon zest (1/2 lemon) 3
    tablespoons gin 2 tablespoons dry vermouth 1 tablespoon
    blue Curaçao

    Special equipment: 5 (1/3-cup) ice pop molds and 5
    wooden sticks

    Simmer water, sugar, and zest in a small saucepan, stirring,
    until sugar is dissolved. Cool syrup, then stir in gin,
    vermouth, and Curaçao. Discard zest. Pour into molds and
    freeze at least 24 hours. Add sticks when mixture is slushy,
    about 1 hour.

    Makes 5 (1/3-cup) ice pops

    Gourmet August 2000
    ---

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  12. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    > no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    > gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    > I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    > dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Laura

    Key Lime Pie? It's one of the simplest of desserts to make,
    is light, and you can use a meringue instead of whipped
    cream topping if you don't want any dairy.

    Let me know if you'd like a recipe.
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  13. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  14. On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, lj wrote:

    > I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    > no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    > gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    > I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    > dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

    Chinese desserts are usually light. My favourite is a light
    chiffon sheet cake, two layers, filled with a raspberry and
    blueberry compote and frosted with a whipped cream then
    topped with fresh berries.

    I made it recently for a friend but I don't have the recipe
    handy. I basically took a chiffon cake recipe, made it a
    sheet cake and then cooked down the berries with some sugar
    to make the compote. The whipped cream was just 35% B.F.
    whipped up. If you want to stabilize it add some clear
    gelatin. If you are serving it right away then you don't
    need to stabilize
    it.

    --
    Send e-mail to: darrell at cs dot toronto dot edu Don't send
    e-mail to [email protected]

  15. On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, lj wrote:

    > I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    > no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    > gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    > I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    > dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

    Chinese desserts are usually light. My favourite is a light
    chiffon sheet cake, two layers, filled with a raspberry and
    blueberry compote and frosted with a whipped cream then
    topped with fresh berries.

    I made it recently for a friend but I don't have the recipe
    handy. I basically took a chiffon cake recipe, made it a
    sheet cake and then cooked down the berries with some sugar
    to make the compote. The whipped cream was just 35% B.F.
    whipped up. If you want to stabilize it add some clear
    gelatin. If you are serving it right away then you don't
    need to stabilize
    it.

    --
    Send e-mail to: darrell at cs dot toronto dot edu Don't send
    e-mail to [email protected]

  16. Alex Rast

    Alex Rast Guest

    at Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:48:17 GMT in
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]
    (lj) wrote :

    >I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    >no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    >gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    >I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    >dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

    If you have an ice cream maker, I'd go for a fruit sorbetto.
    Do something with some zing - like raspberry, lemon, lime,
    orange, etc.

    If it's cold out, consider a fruit souffle, which does
    involve some preparation after dinner - just as well, to
    allow everyone to digest a heavy main meal.

    --
    Alex Rast [email protected] (remove d., .7,
    not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

  17. Alex Rast

    (lj) wrote :

    >I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    >no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    >gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    >I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    >dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?

    If you have an ice cream maker, I'd go for a fruit sorbetto.
    Do something with some zing - like raspberry, lemon, lime,
    orange, etc.

    If it's cold out, consider a fruit souffle, which does
    involve some preparation after dinner - just as well, to
    allow everyone to digest a heavy main meal.

    --
    Alex Rast [email protected] (remove d., .7,
    not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

  18. Orion

    Orion Guest

    "lj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    > no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    > gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    > I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    > dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Laura

    I'm thinking some type of crepes. Maybe blackberry with a
    custard sauce.

    Suzan

  19. Orion

    Orion Guest

    "lj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and have
    > no idea what to serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato
    > gnocchi with lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so
    > I'm looking for something light (and not too heavy on the
    > dairy). Does anyone have any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Laura

    I'm thinking some type of crepes. Maybe blackberry with a
    custard sauce.

    Suzan

  20. Loire21

    Loire21 Guest

    >[email protected] wrote: I'm having some
    >friends over for dinner tomorrow and have no idea what to
    >serve for dessert. Dinner is sweet potato gnocchi with
    >lemon butter sauce which is pretty filling so I'm looking
    >for something light (and not too heavy on the dairy). Does
    >anyone have any recommendations?

    Chilled poached pears.

    Or a pear sorbet.

    Or a fresh fruit salad with Italian lady fingers
    (Savoiardi).