What deters you from riding in bad weather conditions.

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by beniwill, Feb 6, 2014.

1. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

Salt, ice, downpours, below 45F (varies depending on wind).

2. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

I rode in the rain the other night when it was about 18 degrees (C), and it wasn't too bad. In fact, I was warm. The only annoying bit was the waterlogged shoes.

I can stay comfortable riding in the rain if it's about 14 degrees or warmer, provided I'm hammering. :)

3. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Rain is fine for me, what I don't like is cold weather much below 40 degrees but anything above that up to around 105 degrees I can deal with; does that make me a wuss? Sure it does, but I'm fine with that!

4. HIPCHIP

HIPCHIP New Member

I ride with a group. We will not ride if it is raining due to safety concerns I.E. visibility, slick roads. We usually ride in wind unless it is really strong. Fog will normally keep us going. Temperature here at coldest is usually in the mid-30's. Age of our group averages upper 50's-60's, but some older.

5. gruffymax

gruffymax New Member

I will ride in any weather. My least favourite is lightning. Flooding is something that could stop me riding if it gets deep enough.

6. roundnround

roundnround New Member

I'm old also and just recently got back to riding a bike. Mostly for a trip to the store and recreation. I still don't trust the drivers of vehicles. My hairs stand up when I approach an intersection.I live in Fla and mostly stick to the side walk but have to cross driveways and intersections.They don't always see me in the good weather, Rain lessens my chances even more.Plus I don't handle a bike the same as when I was a kid.A spill is more likely if the ground is wet.Now that I'm retired and made it this far why take un-necessary chances. I can see the headlines now: " Newly retired gent killed by inattentive driver" LOL(well maybe not that funny).

7. Nitefeatherz

Nitefeatherz New Member

If the road conditions are too slick (ice, slush, flooding since I'm on the coast) I won't go out. If it is too cold, if it is close to getting too dark (don't want to be coming home on the bike when it's dark out) or if there are too many bugs. Allergic to the bites of the local flies- there are lots of them, and the bites normally are the size of golf balls. Blech!

I also try to ride earlier in the day or later in the day- I work and I'm in a very populated area. I hate having to dodge unpredictable 2 yr olds whose parents aren't paying attention.

8. joeyduck

joeyduck New Member

Ice (moisture below freezing), I will ride below freezing as long as it has been dry.
    Very heavy fog, pea soup thick.

9. nahho

nahho New Member

If you're still keeping track: I don't ride in snow, though I'll ride if there's snow around me but the roads are clear, even a little wet.

Basically, I'll ride if it's 45 and above, maybe even 40 depending on the time of year and level of desperation. And other conditions play a role: A cloudy, damp 50 could be worse than a sunny 42.

I have ridden in rain, including torrential downpours with lightning cracking around me (I try to avoid), and will do so, again, if I'm desperate, but in the warmer, nicer months, a rain day usually is a day off. Falling and spraining my wrist on a wet trail in 2012 influences that decision now. So does a newly cleaned bike!

I have also ridden in 100-degree F temps, though not my usual daily mileage. I've ridden a century in mid-90-degree temps, and that was really difficult -- I would not seek to do that unless it's for my big annual charity ride.

10. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

I've gotta say (well, I don't really):

I got stuck in the pissing rain again the other day, and I can't emphasize enough what a luxury it is having a dedicated wet day bike. There's no stress about your good hubs getting crapped out, or your chain instantly rusting, etc, etc. Just make sure all the threaded parts are well greased or anti-seized.

11. Bigonabianchi

Bigonabianchi New Member

the thought that i could be riding in northern cyprus

12. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Wet day bikes are good fun.

I had a new experience during my commute home yesterday. On top it it being rainy, the trail I chose to ride was underwater. The water got as deep as my quick releases for about a mile - my cross bike handled it beautifully. It was quite a hoot to ride through - I think I may have frightened a beaver or muskrat.

Too bad my Drift HD died a painful death in the rain a few weeks ago. This would have been great footage.

13. MotownBikeBoy

MotownBikeBoy Active Member

I love a good rain ride - fast and peaceful. I bought full rain gear to ride in.

14. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

I went out on that route again today with the camera. The weather was much nicer and the flooding is down a few inches, but still fun.

[​IMG]

15. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Here is another ride through the same section with a road bike. I did not get that we despite having no fenders and the bike handled just fine in an out of the water.

[​IMG]

16. doctorold

doctorold Member

Safety is one concern for me. Slippery roads. Crashing sucks. The other thing is trashing my bike. All the crap you sling into the drive train ain't good. And then having to take the time refurbish is a pain. I don't mind doing maintenance but hate the extra time required.