What did I do wrong ?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ted Campanelli, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would
    not believe.

    2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
    3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    4/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    5/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
    6/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
    7/2 cup chopped celery
    8/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
    9/2 tsp. cummen
    10/2 tsp. garlic powder
    11/4 tsp. kosher salt
    12/4 tsp. ground black pepper

    Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
    and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
    cheese on the top before slicing and serving.

    Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
    what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?

    Thanks, Ted

    Tags:

  2. Becca

    Becca Guest

    Ted Campanelli wrote:

    > I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
    > believe.

    The problem is not your meat loaf. See your doctor.

    Becca

  3. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Ted Campanelli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
    > believe.
    >
    > 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
    > 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    > 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    > 1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
    > 1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
    > 1/2 cup chopped celery
    > 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
    > 1/2 tsp. cummen
    > 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    > 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
    > 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
    >
    > Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
    > and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
    > cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
    >
    > Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
    > what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?

    Grease tends to cause indigestion. I always bake my meatloaf on a sheet pan instead of in a loaf
    pan. That allows the grease to drain away. I also find that sautéing the onion and celery helps and
    it also improved the flavor and texture of the meatloaf. The recipe looks pretty standard except for
    the spaghetti sauce, but I doubt that would make much difference. Also, indigestion just happens
    sometime. It may not have anything much to do with the meatloaf. There are great medications
    available for indigestion. I would take something and try to forget about it.

  4. Taffy Stoker

    Taffy Stoker Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:39:02 GMT, Ted Campanelli
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
    >what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?

    Yes. Go on low carb and you will eliminate acid indigestion forever.

    (There are low carb versions of meatloaf btw)

  5. Howard Dean

    Howard Dean Guest

    "Ted Campanelli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
    > believe.

    Eat a big green salad for now and don't mix in any breadcrumbs you didn't make for yourself in the
    future. Cumin and oregano can be a bad combo too since you used such a huge amount.

    http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
    Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  6. Sportkite1

    Sportkite1 Guest

    >From: Ted Campanelli

    >I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would
    >not believe.

    >2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
    >3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    >1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    >1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
    >1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
    >1/2 cup chopped celery
    >1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
    >1/2 tsp. cummen
    >1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    >3/4 tsp. kosher salt
    >1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
    >
    >Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
    >and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
    >cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
    >
    >Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
    >what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?
    >
    >Thanks, Ted

    Did you cook the vegies before adding them to the mixture. The Garlic Powder is questionable. Your
    system just may be telling you that you can't handle ground beef prepared in this manner.

    Lots of reasons for your indigestion, but only you will be able to isolate the reasons.

    I don't know how old you are, but I'm pushing 50 and I can't eat meatloaf anymore no matter how
    gently prepared. I've tried, trust me.

    Ellen

  7. Pavane

    Pavane Guest

    "Ted Campanelli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
    > believe.
    >
    > 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
    > 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    > 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    > 1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
    > 1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
    > 1/2 cup chopped celery
    > 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
    > 1/2 tsp. cummen
    > 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    > 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
    > 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
    >
    > Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
    > and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
    > cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
    >
    > Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
    > what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?
    >
    > Thanks, Ted

    Two suggestions:
    1. Raw onion is notorious for causing indigestion. Saute the onion in butter and cool it before
    adding it to the mixture. If that doesn't work,
    2. As Becca suggested, do see a doctor.

    pavane

  8. Anna Maria

    Anna Maria Guest

    Ted Campanelli wrote:

    > I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
    > believe.
    >
    > 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
    > 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    > 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    > 1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
    > 1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
    > 1/2 cup chopped celery
    > 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
    > 1/2 tsp. cummen
    > 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    > 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
    > 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
    >
    > Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
    > and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
    > cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
    >
    > Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
    > what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?
    >
    > Thanks, Ted

    probably something is wrong with your stomach, especially if this discomfort happens frequently.
    also maybe too much fat and/or acid in the tomato sauce. use 7% ground meat, or better buy lean meat
    and grind it yourself. try not to use preprocessed stuff. use good RIPE canned tomatoes instead of
    spaghetti sauce. no pre-seasoned bread crumbs. fresh garlic and oregano, less black pepper. what's
    wrong with using basic fresh ingredients?

    for my meatloaf i use a mix of lean beef, chicken, and lean pork. (i will pass the meats at least
    twice in my food processor to obtain a fine paste), bread crumbs soacked in milk, finely chopped
    parsley, finely diced garlic, 2 eggs, salt and pepper, some nutmeg, freshly grated parmigiano cheese
    (no parmesan)

    i cook the meatloaf boiling it wrapped tightly in aluminum foil (the non stick type). the taste will
    be very delicate.

    slice when is lukewarm, and eat with good mayonayse or french dijon mustard or green sauce.

    GREEN SAUCE

    1/2 lb (225 gr) bread crumbs
    2/2 cup (120 cc) meat broth 2 eggs, hard-boiled 6 anchovy fillets 3 tablespoons pine nuts
    3/2 lb (225 gr) Italian parsley 1 oz (30 gr) capers in salt, rinsed and drained 2 garlic cloves 1–2
    tablespoons (depending on the strength) white wine vinegar
    4/2 cup (120 cc) extra-virgin olive oil salt and pepper

    Soak the bread crumbs lightly in broth, and squeeze them to remove the excess liquid. Chop the eggs,
    anchovies, pine nuts, parsley, capers, and garlic, by hand or in a food processor finely together.
    Add the lemon juice, and extra-virgin olive oil. Combine enough bread crumbs to give the sauce the
    consistency of a dense paste. Add salt and pepper, and stir thoroughly to combine all the
    ingredients.

    You can use this green sauce also for fish substituting the vinegar for lemon.

    ciao, anna maria

    www.annamariavolpi.com

  9. T E

    T E Guest

    GO see your primary dr. FIRST then go from there.

  10. Kajikit

    Kajikit Guest

    Ted Campanelli saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us
    all about it on Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:39:02 GMT:

    >I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would
    >not believe.

    Too much fat/grease in the meat... Use low-fat ground beef to avoid the problem. I find that greasy
    foods often give me indigestion even though most things don't.

    (huggles)

    ~Karen AKA Kajikit

    Nobody outstubborns a cat...

    Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap:

  11. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would
    >not believe.
    >
    >2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin

    2lbs of fat is likely to give you a serious gas of gastrointestinal problems.

    But seriously, I've never heard of a 15% fat content on Ground Sirloin. Although not illegal, 10% is
    the accepted border between ground Sirloin and Round (or Chuck, whoever he is).

    I'd buy meat/groceries from a more reputable store to begin with. And as somebody else mentioned,
    see your doctor.

    Just my $.02. Money-back refunds upon request.

    -sw

  12. Ted Campanelli <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
    > believe.
    >
    > 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
    > 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    > 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    > 1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
    > 1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
    > 1/2 cup chopped celery
    > 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
    > 1/2 tsp. cummen
    > 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    > 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
    > 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
    >
    > Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
    > and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
    > cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
    >
    > Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
    > what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?
    >
    > Thanks, Ted

    It might be the garlic powder. I can't eat it, but fresh garlic never does that to me. Garlic powder
    just keeps repeating itself to the point where I feel ill.

    Wayne

  13. Katra

    Katra Guest

    Ted Campanelli wrote:

    > I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
    > believe.
    >
    > 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
    > 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    > 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    > 1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
    > 1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
    > 1/2 cup chopped celery
    > 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
    > 1/2 tsp. cummen
    > 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    > 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
    > 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
    >
    > Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
    > and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
    > cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
    >
    > Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
    > what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?
    >
    > Thanks, Ted

    Take two OTC Xantac (Ranitidine) prior to eating. :) I have a hiatal hernia so nearly anything I
    eat gives me heartburn and/or acid indigestion. It's a rather common problem. :p

    This stuff is great and prevents it.

    K.

    --
    >^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< [email protected] >^,,^<

    "There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by
    cats" -- Asimov

    Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=Katra

  14. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Howard Dean wrote:

    > "Ted Campanelli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
    > > believe.
    > >
    > Eat a big green salad for now and don't mix in any breadcrumbs you didn't make for yourself in the
    > future. Cumin and oregano can be a bad combo too since you used such a huge amount.

    That doesn't sounds like a "huge amount" for 2.5 pounds of ground sirloin!

    gloria p

  15. Katra

    Katra Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > Ted Campanelli <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
    > > believe.
    > >
    > > 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
    > > 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    > > 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    > > 1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
    > > 1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
    > > 1/2 cup chopped celery
    > > 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
    > > 1/2 tsp. cummen
    > > 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    > > 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
    > > 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
    > >
    > > Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the
    > > pan and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some
    > > parmesan cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
    > >
    > > Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong
    > > or what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Ted
    > >

    > It might be the garlic powder. I can't eat it, but fresh garlic never does that to me. Garlic
    > powder just keeps repeating itself to the point where I feel ill.
    >
    > Wayne

    Funny... I have just the opposite reaction. :) Garlic powder is fine, but if I eat fresh garlic,
    not only do I taste it all the live long day in my mouth, but I sweat it too.

    I have a similar problem with curry. :p

    Experiment and find out what works for you. <G>

    K.

    --

  16. Taffy Stoker <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Yes. Go on low carb and you will eliminate acid indigestion forever.

    I don't know where you get that, but I only get predictable heartburn from tunafish.

    --Blair "Atkins is gonna kill people."

  17. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >Ted Campanelli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
    >> believe.
    >>
    >> 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
    >>
    >> 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    >> 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    >> 1/2 cup oatmeal

    Too much filler/binder will absorb all the grease rather than letting it drain away... greasy food
    causes reflux... I'd say you have at least double the filler necessary. A scant cup of crumbs is
    plenty for your recipe. I'd add a couple grated raw potato as filler and only about 1/2 cup
    crumbs... raw spuds add moisture and fiber, not to mention adding flavor and improved texture... not
    necessary to pare just scrub well. Actually I add a variety of raw veggies, which is easy to do
    while grinding my own meat; carrot, celery, onion, parsley (including stems), often nuts too
    (toasted ground almond is excellent in meatloaf), with a pork meatloaf add whole pistachios a la
    mortadella. A meat grinder makes quick work or meatloaf, and you know what/who is in it... just
    don't grind in raw garlic cloves, they will not disperse no matter how much you smush it about. I
    also add 2 eggs per pound of meat.

    >> 2 eggs
    >> 1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
    >> 1/2 cup chopped celery
    >> 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
    >> 1/2 tsp. cummen
    >> 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    >> 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
    >> 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

  18. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    Becca <[email protected]> writes:

    >Ted Campanelli wrote:
    >
    >> I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
    >> believe.
    >
    >The problem is not your meat loaf. See your doctor.

    Ted sounds just like the waiter in that annoying <purplepill.com> ad. Really.

  19. Sportkite1

    Sportkite1 Guest

    >From: [email protected]

    >Too much filler/binder will absorb all the grease rather than letting it drain away... greasy food
    >causes reflux...

    Gracious...I think you solved my problem. Dunno where I went and got the idea that more fresh
    breadcrumbs would be better than fewer...but I did...and that's when I stopped being able to
    eat Meatloaf.

    Thanks for the heads up, Shel.

    Ellen

  20. Tonyp

    Tonyp Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:39:02 +0000, Ted Campanelli wrote:

    > Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
    > what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?

    Add a roll of crushed TUMS to you meatloaf. :)

    Seriously though, it's the onions for me. If I cook them first or leave them out I don't get
    heartburn.