What did I do wrong ?

Ted Campanelli

Guest
I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would
not believe.

2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
4/2 cup plain bread crumbs
5/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
6/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
7/2 cup chopped celery
8/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
9/2 tsp. cummen
10/2 tsp. garlic powder
11/4 tsp. kosher salt
12/4 tsp. ground black pepper

Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
cheese on the top before slicing and serving.

Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?

Thanks, Ted

Ted Campanelli wrote:

> I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
> believe.

The problem is not your meat loaf. See your doctor.

Becca

"Ted Campanelli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
> believe.
>
> 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
> 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
> 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
> 1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
> 1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
> 1/2 cup chopped celery
> 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
> 1/2 tsp. cummen
> 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
> 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
> 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
>
> Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
> and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
> cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
>
> Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
> what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?

Grease tends to cause indigestion. I always bake my meatloaf on a sheet pan instead of in a loaf
pan. That allows the grease to drain away. I also find that sautéing the onion and celery helps and
it also improved the flavor and texture of the meatloaf. The recipe looks pretty standard except for
the spaghetti sauce, but I doubt that would make much difference. Also, indigestion just happens
sometime. It may not have anything much to do with the meatloaf. There are great medications
available for indigestion. I would take something and try to forget about it.

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:39:02 GMT, Ted Campanelli
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
>what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?

Yes. Go on low carb and you will eliminate acid indigestion forever.

(There are low carb versions of meatloaf btw)

"Ted Campanelli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
> believe.

Eat a big green salad for now and don't mix in any breadcrumbs you didn't make for yourself in the
future. Cumin and oregano can be a bad combo too since you used such a huge amount.

http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

>From: Ted Campanelli

>I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would
>not believe.

>2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
>3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
>1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
>1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
>1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
>1/2 cup chopped celery
>1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
>1/2 tsp. cummen
>1/2 tsp. garlic powder
>3/4 tsp. kosher salt
>1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
>
>Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
>and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
>cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
>
>Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
>what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?
>
>Thanks, Ted

Did you cook the vegies before adding them to the mixture. The Garlic Powder is questionable. Your
system just may be telling you that you can't handle ground beef prepared in this manner.

Lots of reasons for your indigestion, but only you will be able to isolate the reasons.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm pushing 50 and I can't eat meatloaf anymore no matter how
gently prepared. I've tried, trust me.

Ellen

"Ted Campanelli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
> believe.
>
> 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
> 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
> 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
> 1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
> 1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
> 1/2 cup chopped celery
> 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
> 1/2 tsp. cummen
> 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
> 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
> 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
>
> Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
> and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
> cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
>
> Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
> what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?
>
> Thanks, Ted

Two suggestions:
1. Raw onion is notorious for causing indigestion. Saute the onion in butter and cool it before
adding it to the mixture. If that doesn't work,
2. As Becca suggested, do see a doctor.

pavane

Ted Campanelli wrote:

> I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
> believe.
>
> 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
> 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
> 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
> 1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
> 1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
> 1/2 cup chopped celery
> 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
> 1/2 tsp. cummen
> 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
> 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
> 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
>
> Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
> and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
> cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
>
> Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
> what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?
>
> Thanks, Ted

probably something is wrong with your stomach, especially if this discomfort happens frequently.
also maybe too much fat and/or acid in the tomato sauce. use 7% ground meat, or better buy lean meat
and grind it yourself. try not to use preprocessed stuff. use good RIPE canned tomatoes instead of
spaghetti sauce. no pre-seasoned bread crumbs. fresh garlic and oregano, less black pepper. what's
wrong with using basic fresh ingredients?

for my meatloaf i use a mix of lean beef, chicken, and lean pork. (i will pass the meats at least
twice in my food processor to obtain a fine paste), bread crumbs soacked in milk, finely chopped
parsley, finely diced garlic, 2 eggs, salt and pepper, some nutmeg, freshly grated parmigiano cheese
(no parmesan)

i cook the meatloaf boiling it wrapped tightly in aluminum foil (the non stick type). the taste will
be very delicate.

slice when is lukewarm, and eat with good mayonayse or french dijon mustard or green sauce.

GREEN SAUCE

1/2 lb (225 gr) bread crumbs
2/2 cup (120 cc) meat broth 2 eggs, hard-boiled 6 anchovy fillets 3 tablespoons pine nuts
3/2 lb (225 gr) Italian parsley 1 oz (30 gr) capers in salt, rinsed and drained 2 garlic cloves 1–2
tablespoons (depending on the strength) white wine vinegar
4/2 cup (120 cc) extra-virgin olive oil salt and pepper

Soak the bread crumbs lightly in broth, and squeeze them to remove the excess liquid. Chop the eggs,
anchovies, pine nuts, parsley, capers, and garlic, by hand or in a food processor finely together.
Add the lemon juice, and extra-virgin olive oil. Combine enough bread crumbs to give the sauce the
consistency of a dense paste. Add salt and pepper, and stir thoroughly to combine all the
ingredients.

You can use this green sauce also for fish substituting the vinegar for lemon.

ciao, anna maria

www.annamariavolpi.com

Ted Campanelli saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us
all about it on Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:39:02 GMT:

>I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would
>not believe.

Too much fat/grease in the meat... Use low-fat ground beef to avoid the problem. I find that greasy
foods often give me indigestion even though most things don't.

(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap:

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would
>not believe.
>
>2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin

2lbs of fat is likely to give you a serious gas of gastrointestinal problems.

But seriously, I've never heard of a 15% fat content on Ground Sirloin. Although not illegal, 10% is
the accepted border between ground Sirloin and Round (or Chuck, whoever he is).

I'd buy meat/groceries from a more reputable store to begin with. And as somebody else mentioned,
see your doctor.

Just my $.02. Money-back refunds upon request.

-sw

Ted Campanelli <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
> believe.
>
> 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
> 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
> 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
> 1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
> 1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
> 1/2 cup chopped celery
> 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
> 1/2 tsp. cummen
> 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
> 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
> 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
>
> Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
> and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
> cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
>
> Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
> what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?
>
> Thanks, Ted

It might be the garlic powder. I can't eat it, but fresh garlic never does that to me. Garlic powder
just keeps repeating itself to the point where I feel ill.

Wayne

Ted Campanelli wrote:

> I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
> believe.
>
> 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
> 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
> 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
> 1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
> 1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
> 1/2 cup chopped celery
> 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
> 1/2 tsp. cummen
> 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
> 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
> 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
>
> Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the pan
> and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some parmesan
> cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
>
> Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
> what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?
>
> Thanks, Ted

Take two OTC Xantac (Ranitidine) prior to eating. :) I have a hiatal hernia so nearly anything I
eat gives me heartburn and/or acid indigestion. It's a rather common problem. :p

This stuff is great and prevents it.

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< [email protected] >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by
cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=Katra

Howard Dean wrote:

> "Ted Campanelli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
> > believe.
> >
> Eat a big green salad for now and don't mix in any breadcrumbs you didn't make for yourself in the
> future. Cumin and oregano can be a bad combo too since you used such a huge amount.

That doesn't sounds like a "huge amount" for 2.5 pounds of ground sirloin!

gloria p

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Ted Campanelli <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
> > believe.
> >
> > 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
> > 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
> > 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
> > 1/2 cup oatmeal 2 eggs
> > 1/2 jar Ragu meat spaghetti sauce
> > 1/2 cup chopped celery
> > 1/2 cup chopped onion 1 tsp. oregano
> > 1/2 tsp. cummen
> > 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
> > 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
> > 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
> >
> > Cooked at 350 for 50 minutes(covered) and 10 minutes @ 400 uncovered. Drained the fat from the
> > pan and put on a rack for another 5 minutes. Put on the serving platter and sprinkled some
> > parmesan cheese on the top before slicing and serving.
> >
> > Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong
> > or what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?
> >
> > Thanks, Ted
> >

> It might be the garlic powder. I can't eat it, but fresh garlic never does that to me. Garlic
> powder just keeps repeating itself to the point where I feel ill.
>
> Wayne

Funny... I have just the opposite reaction. :) Garlic powder is fine, but if I eat fresh garlic,
not only do I taste it all the live long day in my mouth, but I sweat it too.

I have a similar problem with curry. :p

Experiment and find out what works for you. <G>

K.

--

Taffy Stoker <[email protected]> wrote:
>Yes. Go on low carb and you will eliminate acid indigestion forever.

I don't know where you get that, but I only get predictable heartburn from tunafish.

--Blair "Atkins is gonna kill people."

>Ted Campanelli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
>> believe.
>>
>> 2 1/2 lbs 15% ground sirloin
>>
>> 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
>> 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
>> 1/2 cup oatmeal

Too much filler/binder will absorb all the grease rather than letting it drain away... greasy food
causes reflux... I'd say you have at least double the filler necessary. A scant cup of crumbs is
plenty for your recipe. I'd add a couple grated raw potato as filler and only about 1/2 cup
crumbs... raw spuds add moisture and fiber, not to mention adding flavor and improved texture... not
necessary to pare just scrub well. Actually I add a variety of raw veggies, which is easy to do
while grinding my own meat; carrot, celery, onion, parsley (including stems), often nuts too
(toasted ground almond is excellent in meatloaf), with a pork meatloaf add whole pistachios a la
mortadella. A meat grinder makes quick work or meatloaf, and you know what/who is in it... just
don't grind in raw garlic cloves, they will not disperse no matter how much you smush it about. I
also add 2 eggs per pound of meat.

Becca <[email protected]> writes:

>Ted Campanelli wrote:
>
>> I made meat loaf the other night that has been giving me acid indigestion that you would not
>> believe.
>
>The problem is not your meat loaf. See your doctor.

Ted sounds just like the waiter in that annoying <purplepill.com> ad. Really.

>From: [email protected]

>Too much filler/binder will absorb all the grease rather than letting it drain away... greasy food
>causes reflux...

Gracious...I think you solved my problem. Dunno where I went and got the idea that more fresh
breadcrumbs would be better than fewer...but I did...and that's when I stopped being able to
eat Meatloaf.

Thanks for the heads up, Shel.

Ellen

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:39:02 +0000, Ted Campanelli wrote:

> Came out moist and flavorful, BUT, gave acid indigestion. Any suggestions on where I went wrong or
> what I can do to minimize/eliminate this in the future ?

Add a roll of crushed TUMS to you meatloaf. :)

Seriously though, it's the onions for me. If I cook them first or leave them out I don't get
heartburn.